Edwood's Sony R10 Review
Mar 25, 2004 at 2:45 PM Post #46 of 70
I agree with bozebuttons. It will be interesting if you repeat this exercise in 3-4 weeks of solid R10 listening to see if/how your impressions change. With the R10s, they aren't gimmick-y or "gee-whiz-hi-fi" sounding. They aren't going to leap out at you straight away with a lot of fancy tricks and showmanship razzle-dazzle. Their sublime quality unveils itself over time. Cheers.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 25, 2004 at 4:04 PM Post #47 of 70
An excellent review, Ed. Thanks specially for focusing on the comfort issues -- that is important to me, and sounds like it it is strong point of the R10s.

Good luck completing the set of the five hampsters of the apocalypse.

Mar 25, 2004 at 5:36 PM Post #48 of 70
If you decide to unload the R-10s, let me know. From what I've read here, they have made some believe that "this is how far you can take headphones". I would be willing to take them off your hands for a modest premium over what you paid, since, the weren't all that much better to you than the K1000s !?

Hell, I bet about half the audience here would too.

Mar 25, 2004 at 5:46 PM Post #49 of 70
Still too early to say. I guess I should've called my review an "inital impressions" review.

I've had them for less than three days, and have been listening to them every chance I get.

They really are growing on me. It's kind of funny, I have specific passages in songs I use to evaluate various headphone gear, but with the R10's I actually found myself listening to the next song and forgetting to switch equipment.

I have a fan pointed right at me when I wear the R10's, because they are frankly too hot to wear in the warmer SoCal weather right now. A fan a low levels works well, because the R10's are closed, and I don't hear any air turbulence (very minute, but it annoys me) like I would with the K1000's.

For ear comfort, K1000's win hands down, as they don't touch them at all. For face and head comfort, R10's are my top choice now.

Yep, I'm looking fowarding to trying out different gear.

-Ed

Mar 25, 2004 at 6:35 PM Post #50 of 70
Quote:

Originally posted by Edwood
Air conditioning in apartment = loud.
Speakers = pissed off neighbors.
Yadda, yadda, you should know the drill....

Sell?
Why can't I have it all?
evil_smiley.gif

I'm getting rid of some stuff. I'll get there. Eventually. Yeah, who am I kidding? sooner than I think......

-Ed

Sometimes during the summer Costco sells a fan that uses water to increase its cooling ability. I think they go for around $200 and they are pretty efficient (100W). I can't remember how loud it is, but it might be an option, check it out.

Mar 26, 2004 at 3:10 AM Post #54 of 70
Quote:

Originally posted by Edwood
I have entertained the idea of getting a floor standing air conditioner, putting it in another room, and ducting the cool air into my listening area.

Regretably, ducts can be amazingly efficient at transmitting noise.

Mar 26, 2004 at 5:30 AM Post #56 of 70
I understand the r10s being hard to wear in the summer.

Id still listen even when I wore shorts and t-shirt(and it was still too hot) with the hot ass cary raising the room temp a few degrees because it was so nice.

They will grow on you, but to be honest, I knew right off those phones were special; and again when I was boxing em up to go to BozeButtons, and the mistake I had made selling them.

k.s.

Mar 26, 2004 at 6:40 AM Post #57 of 70
Quote:

Originally posted by KShaft
I understand the r10s being hard to wear in the summer.

They will grow on you, but to be honest, I knew right off those phones were special; and again when I was boxing em up to go to BozeButtons, and the mistake I had made selling them.

k.s.

"former: Sony MDR-R10s(NO!) "

LOL!
biggrin.gif

Yeah, I'm using a little fan to blow at my head now. It's pretty hot, but thankfully due to dry SoCal weather, little to no sweating. I hate sweaty ear pads. And with the R10's that could get really expensive. As, I obsessively replace ear pads when they start to get nasty and flattened out.

These pads still have some "poof" left to them. They really are soft.

Anyone know of a cheaper place to buy R10 Ear Pad's other than Audiocubes II, $250+ price?

-Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back