Edward de Bono quote
Aug 9, 2013 at 8:26 PM Post #16 of 24
This one strikes a nice balance I believe.

“One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.” 
― Albert Einstein

Aug 9, 2013 at 9:10 PM Post #17 of 24
Quote:
These imo are fitting here:

“The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool.”
― Richard P. Feynman

“... there is no shame in not knowing. The problem arises when irrational thought and attendant behavior fill the vacuum left by ignorance.”
― Neil deGrasse Tyson

“When scientifically investigating the natural world, the only thing worse than a blind believer is a seeing denier.”
― Neil deGrasse Tyson

“Blind belief in authority is the greatest enemy of truth.”
― Albert Einstein

“Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.”
― Carl Sagan

“The wilder and more ridiculous something is, however, the firmer and more solid the evidence will have to be.”
― Isaac Asimov

+1 on a good quote from a famous scientist like Feynman or Sagan. I personally dislike quoting the pop-science "communicators" like Tyson or Michio Kaku because it gives them a lot of apparent influence despite the fact that their "dumb-downed" explanations of scientific principals are often so overly dumbed down that they are factually incorrect and end up leading to greater misunderstanding by the public in the long run.

I feel folks who have made famous scientific contributions like Feynman and Sagan are more worthy and deserving of being quoted, rather than sensationalizing discovery channel personalities.

Quote:
I put the quote there not because Edward De Bono is a favourite but because I was trying to find a suitable quote about science. I haven't found a good one yet, but then I haven't searched hard enough. Maybe we should get a quote from Tyll Hertsens? He is, for all intents and purposes, a scientist.

This is not a good quote. I am trying to move everyone away from the habit of insulting people who don't agree with a strictly "scientific" belief, because, in all honesty, that ain't science. 
wink.gif

I think it would be more fun to quote a famous professional scientist. I really like Tyll's website and his contributions of objective measurements. However, until he begins submitting his results in the form of papers to peer review, I think he still qualifies as a hobbiest---a very well respected, and very important contributor to this hobby. If Tyll reads this and is interested in publishing measurements of audio systems, I would be interested in contributing/collaborating!

As for the Einstein quote, I thought it was more a self-deprecating sort of a quote made by arguably the most famous scientist of all time. In fact, it is more a philosophical quote with a sciencey theme rather than an actual quote about science---the quote is very similar to the Socratic Paradox. I didn't realize that it could be seen as insulting, or as an invitation to insult those who are less-than-scientific and I agree that we don't want to support an habits of harassment or negativity on the forums.

I suppose that means Charles Darwin's quotes are right out?

-Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science.
Charles Darwin

-False facts are highly injurious to the progress of science, for they often endure long; but false views, if supported by some evidence, do little harm, for every one takes a salutary pleasure in proving their falseness.
Charles Darwin

etc...

I like the quote attributed to Isaac Newton

Quote:
If I have seen further it is by standing on ye sholders of Giants

Cheers!

Feb 24, 2014 at 12:41 PM Post #19 of 24
I always assumed that the quote was completely beyond our control. It just comes with the Internet. So thank you for raising the issue.

Besides the problems with the quote's purely pragmatic approach, I don't think of knowledge as ultimately a set of models. Models are what we use when we *don't* know. (To a being with superhuman knowledge, models are unnecessary.)

Regardless, I shouldn't want to see it replaced with the Feynman quote as that doesn't make it clear that doubt should lead to knowledge, not ignorance.

So I'll keep looking.

Feb 27, 2014 at 2:44 AM Post #21 of 24
That whole quote was what started the 'great model debate thread' in these sections.

I personally find that quote incomplete and it completely misses the point. This and the fact that Edward De Bono isn't much of anything. He has a ton of degrees, and has written a lot of books, so I'll probably call him a popular writer who is famous more due to publicity than by doing anything significant.

However, in terms of *engineering* and *science*, there's one quote I always remember by Freeman Dyson :

A good scientist is a person with original ideas. A good engineer is a person who makes a design that works with as few original ideas as possible. There are no prima donnas in engineering.

Feb 27, 2014 at 4:24 AM Post #22 of 24

Users who are viewing this thread

Back