EDTV or HDTV
Nov 27, 2005 at 5:23 AM Post #46 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by Morphling
stop feeding the troll :/

Nah, let's keep feeding him. It's funny how he keeps making himself look nasty.

It's obvious you want some kind of confirmation that you should get the EDTV. Go get the EDTV and make yourself happy, my friend.

Nov 27, 2005 at 5:26 AM Post #47 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by HD-5000
Nah, let's keep feeding him. It's funny how he keeps making himself look nasty.

It's obvious you want some kind of confirmation that you should get the EDTV. Go get the EDTV and make yourself happy, my friend.

thx...XD
if you don't think so...say something? haha

Nov 27, 2005 at 5:34 AM Post #48 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by kyotousa
thx...XD
if you don't think so...say something? haha

biggrin.gif
sure if you want MY take on this...(may not apply to you so keep your pants on).

After living with my 65" Mitsubishi HD bigscreen and finally getting to see some HD content on it, analog looks pitiful.

You said you are only going with Chinese satellite and analog. For satellite, the EDTV would be just fine.

OK, so someone correct me if I'm wrong about this, but there will be no more analog broadcasts in 2006. Analog is history. 2006 begins in a little over a month, fyi.

You may need to buy a box that will decode the digital signal to even watch the thing, and I would think very much about getting HDTV.

Do what you feel is right, take all things into account, do more research, and best of luck to you.

PS. I hope you choose HDTV. You may thank me when your eyes pop out of their sockets.

smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 27, 2005 at 5:36 AM Post #49 of 73
Quote:

biggrin.gif
sure if you want MY take on this...(may not apply to you so keep your pants on).

After living with my 65" Mitsubishi HD bigscreen and finally getting to see some HD content on it, analog looks pitiful.

You said you are only going with Chinese satellite and analog. For satellite, the EDTV would be just fine.

OK, so someone correct me if I'm wrong about this, but there will be no more analog broadcasts in 2006. Analog is history. 2006 begins in a little over a month, fyi.

You may need to buy a box that will decode the digital signal to even watch the thing, and I would think very much about getting HDTV.

Do what you feel is right, take all things into account, do more research, and best of luck to you.

PS. I hope you choose HDTV. You may thank me when your eyes pop out of their sockets.

smily_headphones1.gif

I believe that got bumped to 2007 and is the US only. I could be mistaken though.

Nov 27, 2005 at 5:40 AM Post #50 of 73
Quote:

biggrin.gif

smily_headphones1.gif

yah i head of that...., just not sure if it's true or not...so if there is no analog will there be no free TV programs?.....or all the free programs are HDTV?
um...again don't intend to pay for TV programs...(or I need to buy digital box then I can watch free TV?)
pretty sure my parents can live with no analog TV...tehy got satellite

anyway surprisingly...you understand my situation....
so how about the last comment...my current situation EDTV is still fine then. what's the need to buy HDTV?

still only 3 requirement rm, analog quality, and dvd

Nov 27, 2005 at 5:44 AM Post #51 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by AuroraProject
I believe that got bumped to 2007 and is the US only. I could be mistaken though.

well too bad i am in US....so this rumor is true huh....
I also heard there will only be digital cable?

Nov 27, 2005 at 5:46 AM Post #52 of 73
There will always be free broadcasts, but when analog goes off the air you will need to be a set-top box to decode the (free) digital TV broadcasts.

You will need this box sooner or later, whether in 2006 or 2007. Digital TV is coming and I cannot wait for it to blossom.

Both EDTV and HDTV would work just fine with these, actually just about any TV would. You'll just need the box.

It's simply a matter of quality. I suspect you will be satisfied with EDTV but if you jump to HDTV it will be as if a veil has been pulled off your face.

Nov 27, 2005 at 5:47 AM Post #53 of 73
Quote:

There will always be free broadcasts, but when analog goes off the air you will need to be a set-top box to decode the (free) digital TV broadcasts.

You will need this box sooner or later, whether in 2006 or 2007. Digital TV is coming and I cannot wait for it to blossom.

Both EDTV and HDTV would work just fine with these, actually just about any TV would. You'll just need the box.

It's simply a matter of quality. I suspect you will be satisfied with EDTV but if you jump to HDTV it will be as if a veil has been pulled off your face.

ic...you know how many channels are there?
hm...new info thx...

if still those fox...wb....and abc stuff.....i suspect ED will be fine XD
if there are like 30-50 channels...i'll ask my parents
biggrin.gif

Nov 27, 2005 at 12:10 PM Post #54 of 73
The amount of misinformation here in this thread is easily on the level of the misinformation given about headphones in computer/hot deal/any other forums. Please go read AVS forums or some place far more informed than here on TVs.

1) LCD TVs have drastically improved but still can't quite compete with a modern plasma display in the areas of black level and contrast. (Totally opposite information has been given here for unknown reasons).

2) EDTVs will cover all your standard definition DVDs in terms of resolution and in fact standard definition content (SD) will look better on an EDTV than an equivalent HDTV of the same size/manufacturer due to less scaling, but the difference in the newest models (especially Panasonic) is very slight (scaling algorithms are getting much better).

3) The point has been made (and ignored by the original poster) that HDTV content is now broadcast OVER THE AIR (OTA) - meaning without cable or satellite - just with an antenna as TV was in the old days and still is by some.

I've been doing research for buying a 42" Plasma for my parents, and have determined through multiple knowledgable sources (ie: comparative reviews) that Panasonic plasmas are leading the market in terms of picture quality at the moment. EDTV or HDTV versions, a current (8th generation) Panasonic plasma will serve you well. I would recommend the HDTV version to someone unless the money was very important to them now (which doesn't make much sense if you're spending this much on a TV in the first place) - because HD content (over any medium, pre-recorded movies, TV in any form, games, etc) will be mainstream well before the TV will be put out of use.

If you're set on buying a TV now that's my pick - but for my money I'm waiting since my old $300 25" Tube 4:3 set still works fine and gives a great picture. Upcoming SED technology from Canon has me excited for one, also falling prices & improved quality plasma/lcd screens are a given as well.

Tip for the future - don't ask questions like this here. The average person here knows good facts about headphones/amps/sources/etc and probably some other totally random other subjects, but will most likely have strong opinions on most other things as well.

-dd3mon

Nov 27, 2005 at 12:52 PM Post #55 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by dd3mon
The amount of misinformation here in this thread is easily on the level of the misinformation given about headphones in computer/hot deal/any other forums. Please go read AVS forums or some place far more informed than here on TVs.

1) LCD TVs have drastically improved but still can't quite compete with a modern plasma display in the areas of black level and contrast. (Totally opposite information has been given here for unknown reasons).

2) EDTVs will cover all your standard definition DVDs in terms of resolution and in fact standard definition content (SD) will look better on an EDTV than an equivalent HDTV of the same size/manufacturer due to less scaling, but the difference in the newest models (especially Panasonic) is very slight (scaling algorithms are getting much better).

3) The point has been made (and ignored by the original poster) that HDTV content is now broadcast OVER THE AIR (OTA) - meaning without cable or satellite - just with an antenna as TV was in the old days and still is by some.

I've been doing research for buying a 42" Plasma for my parents, and have determined through multiple knowledgable sources (ie: comparative reviews) that Panasonic plasmas are leading the market in terms of picture quality at the moment. EDTV or HDTV versions, a current (8th generation) Panasonic plasma will serve you well. I would recommend the HDTV version to someone unless the money was very important to them now (which doesn't make much sense if you're spending this much on a TV in the first place) - because HD content (over any medium, pre-recorded movies, TV in any form, games, etc) will be mainstream well before the TV will be put out of use.

If you're set on buying a TV now that's my pick - but for my money I'm waiting since my old $300 25" Tube 4:3 set still works fine and gives a great picture. Upcoming SED technology from Canon has me excited for one, also falling prices & improved quality plasma/lcd screens are a given as well.

Tip for the future - don't ask questions like this here. The average person here knows good facts about headphones/amps/sources/etc and probably some other totally random other subjects, but will most likely have strong opinions on most other things as well.

-dd3mon

CLIFF NOTE:
www.avsforum.com <--- go there

for over 40" TV go with plasma over LCD. Not worth it right now, but soon LCD TV will dominate because of how close they are getting in picture quality added to the low cost of making the TV and price outcompete plasma in a few years. That is until LcOS comes in. Right now plasma is the best outside of gaming (due to slight burn in even with all the advancements its noticeable when gaming for many hours, which doesn't apply to your case so ignore). Also LCD TV can carry more pixels, lower power, lightweight, improvements in color, can be much thinner, no burn in, etc are good reasons to get LCD now, but contrast is already becoming very close (sharp & sony new LCD have great contrast), and the only problem for LCD would be black level and color due to leaking... which LcoS claims to fix and match in all other areas with LCD along with better color.

Get the panasonic plasma if you can (a lot of locations it is sold out), if you can't find it go with the pioneers (both with the latest generations).

And get HDTV for goodness sake... it should last about 5 years and HDTV will be mainstream and SDTV will be history no matter where your getting your source. You also realize that Asia (china, japan, korea, etc) are more advanced then the US... if you've been there most of their channels are in HD and SD will be history sooner then US. Once the US gets rid of SD, its all HD from there and if their watching TV from China it will also be in HD, maybe sooner then US becoming entirely HD. In most cases they are probably right now downgrading the China source which in HD to SD and sending it to you via satellite. This will change in a few years.

All this is to say that HDTV for satellite china source will most likely be a reality sooner then you think because the source is HDTV already and broadcasting HDTV is no longer a big issue, its just a matter of transferring the same source quality instead of the hassle of downgrading to SD.

Normal TV will also be more and more HD and DVD's will be higher quality very soon. Technology is moving fast and articles saying get EDTV are usually a couple of months old and if they do the research again, more and more reasons will come up to get HDTV over EDTV.

Nov 27, 2005 at 1:28 PM Post #56 of 73
I still think you guys are over-estimating the speed at which HD content will be available en masse, particularly when it comes to movies. Piracy is an enormous issue when perfect HDTV copies of movies can be traded over broadband connections. I think that widescale adoption of an HD disc format is a ways away, and longer after that before enough studios start producing current content and converting back catalog material.

The whole idea of future proofing seems silly to me, because in 5-7 years you will almost certainly want a new TV whether the old one is obsolete or not. You may want a bigger one, the picture may have gotten a little less clear, dimmer, less colorful, or you may just be bored with the old TV. IMO, the death of 480i/p programming is being greatly exaggerated. For God's sake, 10% of American TV's still get programming off of rabbit ears.

Nov 27, 2005 at 5:30 PM Post #59 of 73
I say go EDTV for now. It'll be cheaper. Save that money later for a better HDTV when technology improves and prices are cheaper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back