Edmonton Meet #3 Oct. 27, 07 impressions
Oct 31, 2007 at 4:24 AM Post #16 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by wower /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dang. I could of made it if I didn't have a DJ gig myself that night, or lived across the ocean at the moment for that matter. Where was it held? The U of A?

It's ok, Wang.

Oct 31, 2007 at 6:48 AM Post #17 of 24
A couple quick comments before bed:

Yes, the gear on the black felt/sheep skin was mine, but a few phones were missing in the pic.

I do love my headphone t-shirt
smily_headphones1.gif
. Got it as a gift.

Those were Accura SR-660s... not too shabby for $10.

The Darths were purchased from Shahter, not mrarroyo... although I did buy the headphonia amp off of him. I love them too, but the W5000s make me jealous for the comfort. Still, I like the sound better than the others I heard (no offense to anyone else's gear
smily_headphones1.gif
). However, I did enjoy the K701.

Had a good time, but I wish I had more time to really test out the gear under different conditions. Still, it gave me a good taste of other headphones.

Thanks for coming out guys!

Nov 1, 2007 at 1:49 AM Post #18 of 24
i had a great time. here's some quick impressions, I didn't spend a great deal of time on any one headphone.

Darth Beyers-woooow! what impact! When I first hit the play button I thought I was back home listening to 2-channel. Wonderful realistic bass and therefore it commands presence. Are the non-woodied ones this good? I find most headphones cannot do bass convincingly but these really impressed me, which is a difficult thing to do. My favorite headphones of the night! Of course, they are not as detailed or balanced as some other high end headphones, but I would gladly trade that for the excellent bass.

shure e500- crystal clarity and dead flat through the mid-high range. Very accurate response and very hi-fidelity. Surprisingly efficient straight out of a DAP, much moreso than other IEM's.

Jon's modded sr-60- the gs1000 pads made them sound very interesting. The low-end now actually exists! (referring to the deeper low-end around 30hz). Perhaps this is more pronounced because of a slight mid bass dip? Mids have developed a laid back character, and the highs are harsh and sibilant. My theory is that the larger air cavity produces greater deep bass, but since the drivers are further away from the ears than originally designed/tuned, you end up having to turn the headphones up to compensate for the volume loss. The highs travel the extra distance with the greatest efficiency so they are much much more pronounced (too harsh for my ears).

senn 595-sweet highs and a good job doing the low regions (again 30-60hz). Where's the midbass and mids?

Nov 1, 2007 at 2:07 AM Post #19 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by joneeboi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's ok, Wang.

I lol'd only because I have no idea why you worked "wang" into your response.
tongue.gif
But yes, one day I will be returning to Alberta and would be happy to share all the gear I bought in Japan.

Nov 1, 2007 at 2:08 AM Post #20 of 24
I haven't heard stock DT-770s, but I'm pretty sure they aren't anywhere near as detailed as what you get on the Darths. I believe the stock sound has good (ie noticable) bass, but I believe it sorta muddies the sound a bit.

In addition to the woodie and recable, Larry also plays with the insides (somehow) to 'tune' each Darth to his standards, so i think there is variation from pair to pair. Anyways, this tuning is how you get such strong bass without hurting the other frequencies (as much... I don't notice it
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Nov 1, 2007 at 2:22 AM Post #21 of 24
It was a lot of fun! Thanks to everyone who came especially joneeboi for organizing it.
Too bad about the turntables not working, hopefully next time we can listen to some vinyl (made me want to get/build a phono amp and play some records)
smily_headphones1.gif

The only careful comparison I did was devin_mm's Senn HD-650 vs my HD-600, realizing that the 650 is my favorite headphone; the bass is much stronger on the 650's, and it made pop music a lot more pleasant to me. I think I'll want to upgrade at some point, though I'll need to listen a bit more first.

And joneeboi, very nice job on the Millet hybrid amp
580smile.gif

Nov 1, 2007 at 9:04 PM Post #22 of 24
Thanks for the props, guys. I never could really get any impressions on my gear from friends and family. It's all just "They look crazy," or "It's clear." We'll see how the MAX holds up after I get that new wallwart.

Oh yeah, and d_w31 has the family name "Wang." I was just pointing it out to him.

pne: I don't know what you were listening to my Jonathan Grados with but my MAX has a bit of bass punch to it. Listening to the MAX + KSC75s is crazy.

I really like the difference between the KSC75s and the KSC35s. The bass emphasis is shifted from 75 to 35, and it seemed a bit more palpable than the 75s. I listened to them for a grand total of 10 seconds, so I don't have any idea how they actually sound. I'd like another listen...
wink.gif

Yeah, and next time, everyone bring the vinyls! There was so much potential there that we left at our respective homes. Almost everyone who stepped in was like "I should have brought my vinyl stuff." There's always next time, right?

Nov 8, 2007 at 10:36 PM Post #23 of 24
Nice meet.
cool.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by d_w31 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
n120403336_32435137_7751.jpg

Did anyone compare the HD650 balanced vs single-ended on the DAC1?

Dec 18, 2007 at 2:42 AM Post #24 of 24
This response is a bit overdue, but better late than never.

We actually didn't have a balanced amp to pair with the HD650s. It seems most of Team Alberta hasn't tapped that end of headphone-dom yet, or at least didn't bring their balanced gear to the show. We just ran the HD650s out of the DAC1, a truly odd listening experience for me. It just wasn't right, so I won't comment on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back