Edmonton-And-Surrounding-Urbanities Team, ASSEMBLE!
Oct 5, 2006 at 12:24 AM Post #31 of 165
I'm in Edmonton... I wouldn't mind dropping in.

My headphones are in the sig.

I'm usually at the U of A (Engineering building).

Oct 5, 2006 at 12:53 AM Post #32 of 165
I can help drive people and equipment, I have a decent sized vehicle (Nissan Pathfinder).

Oct 5, 2006 at 2:22 AM Post #33 of 165
Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamP
I'm in Edmonton... I wouldn't mind dropping in.

My headphones are in the sig.

I'm usually at the U of A (Engineering building).

yarrr, another engineer. what are you taking? I'm in 2nd year MAT E.

I also want to hear the 701. I am northside and can help with some transportation. You are on your own carrying equipment in though. I'm still trying to figure out how to lug a 40lb cd player around campus. Perhaps we should make some preparations for snack foods or the like?

conduit, where did you get the insignias? Are they those fabled bestbuy ones?

lovebell can you put normal tips on those? I'd love to hear them and I'm sure most people have IEM tips, but can you swap the custom ones out?

Oct 5, 2006 at 2:38 AM Post #34 of 165
3rd year Zoo (electrical) engg here too
580smile.gif

If it's the 14th, then I won't be able to make it unfortunately... unless there's a cup run
tongue.gif
I forget who has the cup right now, UofA or UofC?
Any chance we can move it to the weekend?

Oct 5, 2006 at 2:53 AM Post #35 of 165
They are indeed the much talked about Insignias from Bestbuy. I had to eBay them which cost a fortune to ship up here. Unfortunately, I don't have a great receiver to pair them up with but they still sound pretty good. I've never used the rooms in the Knowledge Common so I don't know if I can bring them or not. It'd be a pain to carry in and out though.

Oct 5, 2006 at 3:58 AM Post #36 of 165
Quote:

Originally Posted by pne

lovebell can you put normal tips on those? I'd love to hear them and I'm sure most people have IEM tips, but can you swap the custom ones out?

you mean the ue10pro's? I am afraid I can't,the drives are inside of the custom earmolds,unless you break them... hope your auricles similar as mine...
Actually,I am planning to sell my Xbox360 and buy a pair of Shure E500.

I always go to U of A by the no.6 bus,and wearing my ue10pro,watching the the guys on the bus what headphones they are using...that's my little fun on the bus.

Oct 5, 2006 at 4:24 AM Post #38 of 165
I'm 4th year of engineering. Finishing up me EE degree this year. If anybody is around between the hours of 9:00AM - ~5:00PM in ETLC and they want to hear the K701 I can bring em' and we can meet up. They sound pretty good with my Audigy 2 ZS but they sound even better with my Hybrid Head.

Oct 5, 2006 at 9:40 PM Post #39 of 165
[size=x-large]EXCITING UPDATE FOR TEAM EDMONTON-AND-SURROUNDING-URBANITIES![/size]

As of 2 or 3 weeks ago, I began visiting The Gramaphone over on 109 St. and struck up a great relationship with the owner and an employee. We talked a lot (they're great guys to talk to) and they were so generous as to let me audition some of the gear there. They have the entire Grado line-up (GS1000 and iGrado coming in a week), Senn HD650, AKG K701, K601, K27i, a whole bunch of Ety ER-4P and ER-6i, the Stax SR-404, a whole whackload of CDs and SACDs, a modest collection of headphone amps, and not to mention some insane speakers, CD/SACD/DVD-Audio players and cables. The whole point is that I brought up the topic of our meet and asked if they wanted to come and bring some gear. Turns out they had a better idea. They said if you all were willing, we could use their place for our meet! That way, we have full access to their enormous selection of headphones, classical music, their power conditioners, voltage regulators, disc players, amps, and all that jazz (they have some good jazz CDs too). I mean, they were all for having the meet there provided you guys would come. It's a mere 3 block walk from the U (straight east from in front of the Telus Centre).

This way, we don't need to lug our gear from our cars, walk to CAB, bring it to KC and find the room that probably won't be able to hold us all anyways. As an awesome kicker, they're situated right beside a pizza place so we can just head over there if we so like (unless you prefer delivery or Delissio, which we all know is really delivery
cool.gif
). Seriously, this is one of the best things that could have happened for this meet. I mean, meeting in an audiophile store instead of a crammed basement room beats it by far. It may get a little cramped there too, but it'll be better. Oh yeah, if you're allergic to dog fur, you may want to bring an inhaler or Claritin. Another benefit is the time restraint. If we booked the room in KC, then it could only be for 2 hours and I don't know how loud we could be. Thus at this point in the planning, I'm switching the meeting place over to The Gramaphone.

With regard to the date, their preferable day of meeting is from Monday to Thursday. It doesn't have to be on a Tuesday, November 14, but we need to know when everyone else is available to get the most people there and have the best possible meet.

Any thoughts?

Oh yes, did I mention they offered to give us a 15% discount on anything in the store the night we come?
gs1000.gif

Oct 5, 2006 at 9:54 PM Post #40 of 165
that is way cool! owners name is Bryan or Brian, however you spell it, I've been in there a few times and he was quite helpful. I'm all for it, but I'm against using Grammophone's headphones. I like a meet to be about sharing music and gear, without any guilt or pressure towards buying anything just because I demo'ed it for a few hours with some buddies. I'd definately help him out by buying a cd or something but I am against the idea of passing around a grado gs1000 between 10 people for 2 hours. What about the next person who wants to buy it and sees it is used?
blink.gif

also, does anyone have vinyl? I have a few records I haven't heard since my player broke down.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 5, 2006 at 10:52 PM Post #41 of 165
Yeah they're good guys, that's where I bought my k701s. The funny thing was I was thinking we should get Gramophone to come to our meet. This won't affect what gear I bring though. I am more interested in other peoples setups then other listening to unbroken-in headphones.

edit: Go Oilers Go
biggrin.gif

Oct 6, 2006 at 2:59 AM Post #43 of 165
Won't we all be trying each other's headphones anyways? Naturally everyone is going to be drawn to certain headphones (HD650, K701, RS1 for example) and they'll want to use them to listen to their music. That's what I imagine a meet to be, at least. Besides, I will probably get to try the GS1000s before the meet anyways
gs1000.gif

The plan as it is right now, of going to The Gramophone, chilling with the guys there, having our meet in a public place of business, it's not perfect. But compared to what it would have been without their help, meeting in a crammed room bound to get hot and sweaty, getting a little too close for comfort, this new plan works better. In fact, it's a lot better.

AlanY, are you going to be able to make it or not?

Oct 6, 2006 at 3:10 AM Post #44 of 165
wel jon, I got a set of AKG k27is actually so I can bring that. Also the Sennheiser HD 457, Shure e2gs, and Sony XD300.

My sources are just the Creative Zen touch and a Sony CD/Atrac3 player.

I'm so excited to see all the nice gears that will be there! Definitely will bring my DC along
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back