Edition XX in the works??
Dec 6, 2008 at 3:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

ldj325

500+ Head-Fier
UltraPaul,

Is there an Edition 9 successor in the works? If so can you say anything about what/when/ or where?

Inquiring minds and wallets want to know.

Dec 9, 2008 at 4:47 AM Post #2 of 12
If there is an Edition 9 successor in the "works", there should be absolutely no question whatsoever, that this new model be the very top of the line of the Ultrasone line. Though I heard and read a lot of acclaim for the Edition 9, I had my doubts that the Edition 9 truly was the top of the Ultrasone line. My doubts involved the idea that the Edition 9 was more "bling" than quality. I'm not saying it wasn't an excellent quality headphone. But, what I am saying is that it seemed as though Ultrasone placed more emphasis on aesthetics than sound and build quality. I would like to point out that I have never heard the Edition 9 so I am not commenting on it's sound quality.

The first mistake in manufacturing the Edition 9, IMO, was that it had the same frequency range as the Pro 750. When the Edition 9 was first issued, the Pro 900 didn't exist and the Pro 750 was, according to Ultrasone, supposed to be the "top" of the Pro series. Before I was very familiar with Ultrasone, I was in an audio store comparing headphones. I had heard the Pro 650 at that point and the sales clerk was telling me about the Pro 750 and the Edition 9. He had neither one of them in stock. When he started telling me about the Edition 9, he showed me some literature on it. We were both looking at the specs and found out that the frequency range was the same between the Pro 750 and the Edition 9. The salesman than looked surprised and said to me, "I wonder why they charge so much money for this one when the frequency range is the same." I then explained to him that the size of the frequency range doesn't always necessarily dictate the sound quality. This story is a very good example of one way in which the headphone buying public thinks. And, this includes some professionals.

With the above example in mind, one thing that Ultrasone should definitely do is make absolutely certain that the next Edition model has the widest frequency range of any of the Ultrasone headphones.

Another suggestion I have is detachable cables. The cables (actually wires, they should be thicker and more sturdy) on the Edition 9 look too thin to me. They appear as though they would be easily dislodged from their sockets or strained to the point of "shorting out". With detachable cables, one is assured that the cables are easily replaced. Also, it would enable those who want custom cables to replace the stock cables (with screw-in cables similar to the stock cables) without fear of voiding the warranty.

The headband is another issue. While I have found the headband on the Proline 750 to be reasonably comfortable, it isn't the most comfortable headband I've ever worn. The Edition 9 had the same headband as the Pro series headphones. If the Edition series is truly the top of Ultrasone's line, the next Edition model should have a superior, more comfortable headband than the other Ultrasone headphones.

The customer should be given a choice between the Ethiopian Sheep Skin and the velvet covered ear pads at a somewhat less expensive cost.

More emphasis should be placed on build quality and sound quality on the next Edition model (Once again, here, I am not commenting or passing judgment on the sound quality because I have never heard the Edition 9. What I'm trying to convey is that the Edition headphones should have everything sound-wise that the other Ultrasone headphones have and more). No other Ultrasone headphone should have a "sound feature" such as "S-Logic Plus" that the next Edition model doesn't have. The next Edition model should have it all.

There should be absolutely no question from the perspective of the high-end headphone consumer that the next Edition model is absolutely the very best headphone available.

Off the original subject, another suggestion:

Ultrasone should consider starting, in addition to the Edition line, another line called the "Ultimate" line. They could call their first in the "Ultimate" series the "Ultimate One". What is the proposed Ultrasone "Ultimate One"? It's an electrostatic headphone.

Think about it. An electrostatic headphone with "S-Logic Plus". Now, that would be something special!

Dec 19, 2008 at 10:49 PM Post #3 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by ldj325 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
UltraPaul,

Is there an Edition 9 successor in the works? If so can you say anything about what/when/ or where?

Inquiring minds and wallets want to know.

The next in the Edition Series is the Edition 8 and will be available at the end of Q1, beginning Q2, 2009.

The Edition 9, which is a limited Edition model, is still available at various dealers, however, supplies are getting very thin. As of today we only have a handfull left. This headphone will never be made again. So if yu want one, get it now.

Dec 19, 2008 at 11:09 PM Post #4 of 12
Yeah, but it sound strange to me that the succeeding model have a lower model number than the previous one. That goes against the normal naming schemes out there from what I can see.

Aka Edition 1, Edition 2, ..., Edition 7, Edition 9, Edition 10.
Not Edition 1, Edition 2, ..., Edition 7, Edition 9, Edition 8. Hence I think the Edition 8 are just a new 'phone, but not a successor for the Edition 9...

Hopefully I am proven wrong though!
normal_smile .gif

Dec 20, 2008 at 1:14 AM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, but it sound strange to me that the succeeding model have a lower model number than the previous one. That goes against the normal naming schemes out there from what I can see.

Aka Edition 1, Edition 2, ..., Edition 7, Edition 9, Edition 10.
Not Edition 1, Edition 2, ..., Edition 7, Edition 9, Edition 8. Hence I think the Edition 8 are just a new 'phone, but not a successor for the Edition 9...

Hopefully I am proven wrong though!
normal_smile .gif

If you find an Ultrasone Edition 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 or 6, please let us know.........
wink.gif

Dec 20, 2008 at 1:39 AM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by ultrapaul /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you find an Ultrasone Edition 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 or 6, please let us know.........
wink.gif

My main point was to show you how normal naming schemes function.
But guess it was not clear enough!
popcorn.gif

Dec 20, 2008 at 5:43 AM Post #9 of 12
I know! With the Edition series, Ultrasone is counting backward like a patient on the operating table who is receiving anesthesia.

Or, maybe when they reach zero Ultrasone will fire a rocket. Then they'll have a line of headphones called the "Rocket" series. And, their first one will be called the "Rocket 88". Oh wait, Oldsmobile already used that name. Never mind.

If the Edition numbers are indeed counting backward and with each new model and lower number there is an improvement in the sound, that would mean that the Edition headphone's numbers sequencing uses the same logic as is found in score keeping for the game of golf. The lower the numbers the better the "player".

Dec 20, 2008 at 6:07 AM Post #10 of 12
I would like to point out that no one ever questions whether the RS-1 is above the RS-2, even though all of the other grados use an increasing naming scheme.

Dec 22, 2008 at 7:45 PM Post #11 of 12
How I hate funny people

Dec 23, 2008 at 1:10 PM Post #12 of 12
Well technically the Edition 9's were never limited edition. They've just been discontinued. They were just the unlimited version of the Edition 7's, which were truly limited edition. The edition 8 is no successor to the Edition 9's either IMHO. It's just a product Ultrasone made to break into the portable headphones arena which hasn't really had any high-end products yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back