Edition 9 power handling?
Sep 15, 2008 at 8:48 AM Post #16 of 37
What info do you think you need from the UE9? The sensitivity is specified. The resistance of the headphone is known. The impedance curve is known for the UE9.

What you need is more from the amp side than the headphone side as I see it.

Sep 15, 2008 at 9:52 AM Post #17 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by slwiser /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What info do you think you need from the UE9? The sensitivity is specified. The resistance of the headphone is known. The impedance curve is known for the UE9.

It is? Not by me, in that case. Looking at the specifications for the Ed9 on the Ultrasone website does not list any of the above. Care to share?

Sep 15, 2008 at 4:54 PM Post #18 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Covenant /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It is? Not by me, in that case. Looking at the specifications for the Ed9 on the Ultrasone website does not list any of the above. Care to share?

It's right there on the website?
confused.gif

Give the page a few seconds to load and then click on specifications when the options show up.

Ultrasone

Sep 15, 2008 at 10:06 PM Post #19 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by subtle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's right there on the website?
confused.gif

The specs listed there are:
Frequency response
Impedance
And a bunch of stuff about S-Logic, Mu-Metal, SPL, cable length and so forth.

What I need to know is the power handling. How much amperage and voltage the drivers can handle, their maximum ratings in each. That would give me an idea of what sort of power output an amp needed to have to 'drive' them to their fullest.

For example: Sony SA5000

Under specifications, see the power handling section? This is given as a figure in watts, when ideally I'd like to know the breakdown into amps/volts as well, but this is what I mean.

Sep 15, 2008 at 10:17 PM Post #20 of 37
Quote:

Here is the impedance chart for some:

UltasoneImpedancecurves.gif

It appears that you found the spec page on the UE9 web page. I remember 2 watts power handling for the UE9 I think. Sound pressure level is measured against a 1mW input at 96 dB.

Sep 16, 2008 at 2:27 AM Post #21 of 37
Quote:

It appears that you found the spec page on the UE9 web page. I remember 2 watts power handling for the UE9 I think.

I "found" the spec page before posting this thread - the purpose of the thread was for clarification on details not appearing on said page.

Where did you get the 2 watts figure from? I may be misinterpreting this (I'm no engineer), but to me that would indicate that this thing either takes Boatloads of current, or likes more voltage swing than most low-impedance phones.

Sep 16, 2008 at 8:45 AM Post #22 of 37
Quote:

I "found" the spec page before posting this thread - the purpose of the thread was for clarification on details not appearing on said page.

Where did you get the 2 watts figure from? I may be misinterpreting this (I'm no engineer), but to me that would indicate that this thing either takes Boatloads of current, or likes more voltage swing than most low-impedance phones.

They do have diodes internal to limit things. Maybe that is where the limit comes in.

Sep 17, 2008 at 2:37 AM Post #23 of 37
Quote:

They do have diodes internal to limit things. Maybe that is where the limit comes in.

I opened/moded my Edt.9 several times and didn't find any diods there like inside Proline 750. Maybe they forgot to put them there?
regular_smile .gif

Sep 17, 2008 at 8:50 AM Post #24 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by vvs_75 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I opened/moded my Edt.9 several times and didn't find any diods there like inside Proline 750. Maybe they forgot to put them there?
regular_smile .gif

My mistake, I thought all Ultrasone headphones had the "feature".

Sep 26, 2008 at 12:53 AM Post #26 of 37
Quote:

I'm curious how much current/voltage is required from a headphone amp to drive the Edition 9 to its fullest.

My Pico is rated at 8V/250mA at maximum drive, and I'm wondering if this is a sufficient level of output power to get the most out of the Ed9.

Cheers.

It's not that easy corrdinating some things, but we haven't forgotten this and we'll have an answer soon.

Sep 27, 2008 at 3:47 AM Post #27 of 37
The Ed 9s are very current hungry. I don't feel that the iQube drives them fully at all - they're just not dynamic like they were with the Lisa III.

Going with the SR-71A for my portable amp for them, I'm hoping and expecting to note difference with them being better fed by the 2x 9v supply. This alone should achieve more benefit for me and my cans than the comparatively small differences between various portable headphone amps.

I'll let you know how that goes soon enough Cov, it's on it's way here.

Definitely interested in thepaul info

Sep 28, 2008 at 12:05 AM Post #28 of 37
C'mon Ultrasone!!!!

How many potential customers have now read this thread?

I'm listening now with the Edition 9's and the Rudistor NX-02
(discontinued) and the synergy is amazing. The NX-02 was built
for the same driver shared by the 750's, 2500's and th Ed9's
so it's not surprising it sounds so good. By 'good' I mean 'best
I've ever heard' ....

Maybe all down to current....

*** Ultrasone answer the question!

Sep 28, 2008 at 5:26 AM Post #29 of 37
if for Edition 9 you have 96 dB SPL re 1 mW

then ~120 dB peak SPL will require ~+24 dB mW = 250 mW_rms

250mW_rms requires ~ 130 mA, 3.9 V peak amplitude into 30 Ohms

the Pico specs look to have this covered

basically any amp that performs fine with Grados will be OK

power handling specs are more about physical damage from overheating the voice coil and have little to due with audio drive requirements

Sep 29, 2008 at 8:06 PM Post #30 of 37
From Florian:

These measurements are mixing loudspeaker measuring applications modalities with the reinforce instrument headphones. It is totally unusual to realize such tech data for headphones:

•"Power Handling Capacity" of 1500mW (IEC <> made for loudspeakers!!!). Short extract: "Power handling capacity Impedance Recommended input power Dispersion ... 2000 W IEC norm 268-5 4 ohms/loadspeaker nominal 1500 – 3000 W into 4 ohms .... In the eighties we had some "destroying lever" data's, but also this was finished in IEC ...

•Please visit from my standard group collegue's paper: AES E-Library: Power Handling Capacity of Loudspeakers by Teuber, Wolfgang; Völker, Ernst-Joachim

•SENSIVITY in dB/mW for the Ed. 9 is 96 dB and it shows based on the impedance (pre-amp plus divers) at what kind of levels how much VOLTAGES are ... frequency 1 kHz / sinusodial.

•Read this: >>>>> Tension = U in [V], Power = P in [W], Impedance = R in [OHM]; rule / formula >> P = U*U/R = U/R >> U = "square of [P*R]". So you are able to calculate and compare Volt's and Watt's based on the variing Impedances. But pay attention: The dB/V and the SPL due to 1 VOLT is a dB based on "20*log(U1/U2)"; 20 dB = factor 10 !!! ----> and now POWER: dB/mW is based on the "10*log(P1/P2)"; 10 dB = factor 10 !!!

•Or this: The "intelligence of the data's" are to convert them by calculating with the impedance and tension for the power values >>>> P = U*U/R; here U = Umax; P in [W]; W means Watt; 1000 mW = 1W !!!!

Hope that helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back