Edition 9 power handling?
Sep 30, 2008 at 6:24 AM Post #31 of 37
confused_face(1).gif
I'd have to be far more tech-savvy than I am to even be able to pretend to understand that. Can any of our electronics gurus chime in with a translation?
biggrin.gif

Sep 30, 2008 at 11:55 AM Post #32 of 37
Many words, equations and numbers but no information about maximum power handling of the Edition 9's actually. So I assume there is no limit.
evil_smiley.gif
Then anybody that blows them due to misuse, amplifier damage, etc. may return them on warranty and expect replacement. Pretty comfortable situation.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 1, 2008 at 10:29 PM Post #33 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by jcx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if for Edition 9 you have 96 dB SPL re 1 mW…

Quote:

Originally Posted by ultrapaul /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From Florian:

•SENSIVITY in dB/mW for the Ed. 9 is 96 dB and it shows based on the impedance (pre-amp plus divers) at what kind of levels how much VOLTAGES are ... frequency 1 kHz / sinusodial.

sensitivity spec assumption looks to be definitively verified

so how much power do you need to cover dynamic peaks in music without clipping?
Quote:

then ~120 dB peak SPL will require ~+24 dB mW = 250 mW_rms

250mW_rms requires ~ 130 mA, 3.9 V peak amplitude into 30 Ohms

the Pico specs look to have this covered

no equations! (or rather I cranked them for you already)

you might want to look at HeadWize - Article: Preventing Hearing Damage When Listening With Headphones (A HeadWize Headphone Guide)
just to get some idea of dynamic peak SPL requirements and safe average listening level

Quote:

power handling specs are more about physical damage from overheating the voice coil and have little to due with audio drive requirements

Quote:

Originally Posted by ultrapaul /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From Florian:

These measurements are mixing loudspeaker measuring applications modalities with the reinforce instrument headphones. It is totally unusual to realize such tech data for headphones:

•"Power Handling Capacity" of 1500mW (IEC <> made for loudspeakers!!!). Short extract: "Power handling capacity Impedance Recommended input power Dispersion ... 2000 W IEC norm 268-5 4 ohms/loadspeaker nominal 1500 – 3000 W into 4 ohms .... In the eighties we had some "destroying lever" data's, but also this was finished in IEC ...
Hope that helps.

Florian gives 1500mW as the "Power Handling Capacity"

and as I stated the number is useless for you - tells you how much continuous power needed to cook your headphone - not how much required to drive it with adequate dynamic SPL headroom

its nice that the 250 mW required to drive the Edition 9 to 120 dB SPL is less than 1500 mW - but this isn't a hard requirement since the power handling capacity is a continuous rating and 120 dB SPL peaks should be very short and infrequent in music listening so the voice coil has time to cool off

at low frequencies most drivers will bottom out on the magnet backplate at much lower power input than the Power Handling Capacity

Users who are viewing this thread

Back