Edition 9 -- flakey build quality?
Aug 1, 2007 at 4:30 PM Post #16 of 44
While I expect wood or steel from a $1,500 headphone, the sound really is what matters. So if those people enjoy the sound, then I'd say that's really what they are paying for.

$1,500 plastic headphone...
blink.gif

Aug 1, 2007 at 5:05 PM Post #17 of 44
wish i had somethin else to report, but my ed 9's have suffered from a flaking occurance.

best i can figure is that they were exposed to heat during shipping to a friend when i loaned them during some very hot temps. i am sure nothing he or I did caused this, but when they came back, i thought i spotted a bit of dust or something on the metallic surface. when i "brushed it off" it turned out to be a spot where the metallic finish had bubbled and , the bubble "popped" and a small strip of the metal peeled off.

i know for a fact that this developed. i had checked them a hundred times carefully and they were close to perfect, and i saw this immediately on unpacking them. i say "close" because there was a very tiny bump/pinprick size "pimple" or two on them that was easier to find by hand than by sight. could very well have been one of these spots...

i am not thrilled, but so far would not want to part with them for any time so have not sought a repair.

this should be my biggest problem in life...

Aug 1, 2007 at 5:41 PM Post #19 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That is the post I remember first seeing about the quality issues! And it seems to me I am getting mixed answers in this thread, that should be unacceptable for a $1.5k headphone :/

should be unacceptable in anything, especially if the item is a higher price point.

but the reality is all you can demand is that a mfg back up their goods: fix or replace.

if you hold off to never get anything expensive that is flawed, you will save a lotta money as you will rarely find anything, no matter how pricey, that is perfect. again, it should be addressable at the source, but that is how things are.

and certainly repeated problems ought to be fixed and not propagated.

Aug 1, 2007 at 5:49 PM Post #20 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by analog'd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wish i had somethin else to report, but my ed 9's have suffered from a flaking occurance.

best i can figure is that they were exposed to heat during shipping to a friend when i loaned them during some very hot temps. i am sure nothing he or I did caused this, but when they came back, i thought i spotted a bit of dust or something on the metallic surface. when i "brushed it off" it turned out to be a spot where the metallic finish had bubbled and , the bubble "popped" and a small strip of the metal peeled off.

i know for a fact that this developed. i had checked them a hundred times carefully and they were close to perfect, and i saw this immediately on unpacking them. i say "close" because there was a very tiny bump/pinprick size "pimple" or two on them that was easier to find by hand than by sight. could very well have been one of these spots...

i am not thrilled, but so far would not want to part with them for any time so have not sought a repair.

this should be my biggest problem in life...

LOL - That is a dilemma

Aug 1, 2007 at 6:17 PM Post #22 of 44
There's nothing poor quality about these headphones. True, it doesn't cost Ultrasone anywhere near wholesale to manufacture one of these, but as is true for all ultra high-end, limited production headphones, most of the manufacturer's costs go into design. This is why the Edition 9 is less than half the price of the Edition 7 when they're essentially the same headphone.

I'm perfectly happy with the build quality of these headphones. There's nothing shoddy about crome plating, crome plated brass nameplates, and hair sheep skin leather. It has the same headband as the prolines, but it's an excellent headband! The cable definitely looks cheap for a $1500 headphone, but if you look around you'll hear that it's a good cable in terms of audio performance, and it's certainly very durable. Rudi at RudiStor Amps suggests that Edition9 owners who want to drive their headphones in balanced configuration reterminate the stock cable instead of replacing it. The choice of cable was one thing Ultrasone used to tune the headphones' sound.

When a manufacturer puts all its resources into design and not fancy materials, what you get is excellent sound quality for the price. This I can definitely attest to.

Aug 1, 2007 at 6:44 PM Post #24 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Genocide /img/forum/go_quote.gif
not to mention, if you guys own the beyer 660 or 860, they have the same headband as edition 9.

Not exactly, G-cide. They certainly appear to be identical from photographs, but handled side-by-side, the differences in feel and performance are not subtle.

So, while they indeed share the same OEM design and mold, the Edition 9s boast more exacting assembly, along with higher quality bearings and materials. And the headband itself is formed from much a stronger and more flexible rubberized polypropylene as opposed to the cheaper ABS that can have a tendency to be on the creaky side. The end result does not feel plasticky whatsoever, but rather, smooth, sturdy and very smart.

Aug 1, 2007 at 7:18 PM Post #26 of 44
These phones look less than quality in their photographs. They're apparently metal plated, however, and they have a stunning case that rivals the gorgeous all-aluminum DT880 case (2003). And apparently the mechanics are unusually sophisticated.

But the whole "value" thing has been the sticking point for me from the start. I can get a K1000 in great condition - felt by many to be one of the best dynamic headphone ever - for several hundred dollars less than I'd pay for an Edition9 - and I get a snappy wooden box. A few people have "something about Ultrasone," and it's hard not to be curious about the soft leather pads. With ad copy like "The World's Best Headphones," Ultrasone seems to have taken a page out of the Bose playbook.

Despite this, this phone has barely made it into even the outer fringes of FOTM-land, and the reviews haven't been exactly stellar. I won't comment on their looks, because that doesn't count when they're on your head.

Aug 1, 2007 at 8:27 PM Post #27 of 44
just to be a bit more through in describing my experience. the edition 9's are a very high quality build imo except that they have had some problems with the metaliic coating, which I thought I had been lucky enough to dodge, but...mine reacted to being baked and their surface is no longer pristine.
but they still look great! even the "scuff" mark does not reverse that fact.

more importantly to me they function beautifully - headband, fold up earcups, and cable are all mint after a LOT of (not babied) use. i have been dragging them to and from work (often in a bag with nothing else but not in their case), putting them on and off up to 40 times a day (and not carefully, at least not with very much caution/care).

Grado PS1's retailed for $1500 with no discount available, and are worth every single penny. in terms of outter build these are a lot more refined than grados, and are available for $1120 or so. That makes them a bargain! k1000's for $1000 required very particular (expensive) amping and to my ear were not that great until i spent another $500 replacing cable. these are that great. straight outta the carton. so again, they feel like a very good deal to me. they are not inexpensive, but they are well worth the $1125 or so.

after looking over mine just now and finding them in such perfect shape after all this hard use, even the imperfection looks like a "badge of courage" to me now, I guess because it developed while still providing such great service. Having no doubt that ultrasone stands behind their generous warentee I remain a most satisfied customer.

And they sound AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Aug 1, 2007 at 10:29 PM Post #28 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showpo...0&postcount=13
And this is not a "metal" but chromed plastic.

Nope, that housing is all metal. Brass I think:

The headband is made from far higher grade materials than any others that share that mould (I played with all the aforementioned Beyer and Proline cans in a store, noisy and felt cheap).

The box they come in is much better than a DT-880 box too. The 880 one is flimsy and cheap compared to the nice durable ED9 one.

It's a pity that the chroming is coming off so many pairs. Mine appear fine but are not perfectly smooth. No plating is coming off but it looks like the brass is not perfectly smooth, a slightly porous casting maybe. Hopefully the coating doesn't get worse with time, but if it does, back they go for a new pair. Although I certainly notice everything, I'm not as fussed cosmetically as some people are. The whole thing looks as good as in these 2 pics.

Jimi, I wouldn't be worried, just send them back in a year or 2 and get a new pair!

Steve.

Aug 1, 2007 at 10:51 PM Post #30 of 44
I need to make sure I've got my flamesuit zipped up nice and tight before I say this... here goes.

This is all humorously similar to how it goes with the general public and bose.

You buy a pair of TriPorts and proclaim it is the best ever, then it breaks, and your buddy pats you on the back and says "it's alright you can just keep sending them back for replacements when they break. after all they are the best" :p

Sorry couldn't resist.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back