[Edited] Top Five Reasons Why I Won't Ship International Anymore
Aug 4, 2008 at 4:40 PM Post #91 of 105
In Canada we have postal depots that open at 6 am and close between 9 and 10. I know one of the spots very well and there are times I'll walk in at 2 am and they'll fix me up. This depot is run out of a 7/11 so it's 24/7/365 which is grand. I am shocked by how complicated life is in the US. Sending packages anywhere in the world from Canada is such a simple task and I get tracking to the heart of the Congo (yes I've done this quite a few times) with NO PROBLEMS and best, it only costs a few bucks to get the signature too.

Aug 4, 2008 at 5:03 PM Post #92 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am shocked by how complicated life is in the US. Sending packages anywhere in the world from Canada is such a simple task (...)

I have read similar posts (the restricted USPS open hours) in earlier threads. I was on the impression that maybe some individuals were making it a bit tragic just to get some attention.

Seems all the US guys who sent me toys in the past ( I always ask for USPS ) were indeed even nicer fellows...
redface.gif

Amicalement

Aug 9, 2008 at 4:36 AM Post #93 of 105
Wow. I spent almost an hour reading this entire thread. That's crazy. So much for working on weekends. Heh. Anyway, those of us living all the way down here in NZ really appreciate it when you folks over in the US are willing to sell stuff to us. I sure hope to buy stuff via head-fi soon, anyway. But I certainly don't blame anyone who is reluctant to sell overseas. It sounds like a real pain and a huge risk, but if you are willing that's really big of you. Hats off.

Aug 9, 2008 at 5:00 AM Post #94 of 105
It's weird to see so many EU/Europe/AU-only sales, yet so many people flame the guys who want to do CONUS-only sales.

Aug 9, 2008 at 5:03 AM Post #95 of 105
That's true. I've seen sellers stating strong preferences for buyers in particular cities, even. I think the CONUS-only guys get flamed because (a) they're lots of them, and (b) stuff's cheap in the U.S., so buyers care more about U.S. sellers.

Aug 9, 2008 at 5:08 AM Post #96 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by DemonicLemming /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's weird to see so many EU/Europe/AU-only sales, yet so many people flame the guys who want to do CONUS-only sales.

Why do you think some are doing EU or AU only? Not rocket science.

We also hear about the grief people have with USPS and Fedex etc in the US. Personally never had an issue with USPS.

Anyway I doubt if anybody in North America would buy from Europe or Australia. Our prices are generally a fair bit higher than the US.

Simon

Aug 9, 2008 at 5:11 AM Post #97 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Pieman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why do you think some are doing EU or AU only? Not rocket science.

We also hear about the grief people have with USPS and Fedex etc in the US. Personally never had an issue with USPS.

Anyway I doubt if anybody in North America would buy from Europe or Australia. Our prices are generally a fair bit higher than the US.

Simon

I've seen three sets of cans that I can remember that I'd have jumped on, except it was non-US shipping only.

If people want to only ship in their home area to counter US-only shippers, I understand that completely, but to me, that sort of means they don't have much room to bitch about CONUS-only shippers.

Aug 9, 2008 at 7:22 AM Post #98 of 105
Quote:

Well, they can't really be compared.
An EU/Europe sale is international (to a different country). While a CONUS sale is national (to the same country).
wink.gif

Aug 9, 2008 at 7:43 AM Post #99 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, they can't really be compared.
An EU/Europe sale is international (to a different country). While a CONUS sale is national (to the same country).
wink.gif

Not really. If someone in Britain only wants to do an EU sale, as you said, that's going to be an international sale regardless, so why would they also not ship something to the US, as that's no different than shipping something to, say, Germany?

Aug 9, 2008 at 12:56 PM Post #100 of 105
A transaction inside the EU (the union, not physical countries) is easy as if it were national. So CONUS and EU-only are very, but not entirely similar. I think if someone keeps an EU-only trade on, they shouldn't deprecate CONUS sellers. Sounds too hypocritical imo.

Aug 9, 2008 at 1:24 PM Post #101 of 105
Quote:

Not really. If someone in Britain only wants to do an EU sale, as you said, that's going to be an international sale regardless, so why would they also not ship something to the US, as that's no different than shipping something to, say, Germany?

Afaik there are no buy/sell tax involved when doing international sales within EU (European Union). Which makes it cheaper/easier than selling outside EU, like the rest of Europe, US, Asia, ...
That may be their reason.

Aug 9, 2008 at 6:04 PM Post #102 of 105
same -_-"

Aug 9, 2008 at 6:43 PM Post #103 of 105
A reason why people might want to keep the sales inside EU, is that we pay the VAT and import duties on the items we purchase, thus the price is often much higher than outside EU.
Usually there is no point in selling it outside the EU, as the shipping is more expensive and the price you have to ask for is simply unattractive for non-EU people.

Another reason I usually keep my sales in EU is that the local postal service here has very poor shipping conditions outside EU (in Netherlands).
Costs are usually €10-30+ higher compared to inside EU, and more importantly, they won't let you insure the packages over €130 or so.
Imagine shipping a €1000+ amp insured for €130 overseas, you get the idea.
I sure as hell wouldn't take part in a sale like that, neither as the buyer nor the seller.

Out of curiosity I tried the Dutch UPS shipping calculator, and even for small packages that weigh 2> KG the "average" services cost $100+.
So, I can't speak for all the EU countries and what their motives are for keeping their sales "EU only", but for some of us the shipping conditions just aren't good and with the prices we would have to sell at, there is just no incentive or reason.

Aug 9, 2008 at 8:10 PM Post #104 of 105
i'm 100% with ya

i changed my ebay requirements a long time ago. only USA residential, only folks with pos. feedback, etc. etc. international is a pain and here's another big one to add to your list:

.......you have to go down to the ****ing post office and can't just print something out online, have to fill out the annoying ****ing form

Users who are viewing this thread

Back