EDIT: Never Mind
Nov 13, 2002 at 10:29 AM Post #16 of 23
Czilla9000,

Personally, I feel like you are selling me an amp which I made ... But oh well.
redface.gif

I would keep the entire thing under 100 USD or so. Anything beyond 300 USD would stir up problems.

But ideally, you should sit down and study some electronics yourself so that you can do most of designing and debugging yourself. (Learning SPICE is absolutely important. Learn it! I don't care if you don't got time. Make time. No one design without SPICE anymore.) Depending your pace, you should be able to learn most of the stuffs you need within half a year or less with frequent question sessions here. (***)

Specialized topics like PSU design is well worth spending time. You cannot build good amp without good PSU. (Good as in optimized to your design. It means very little if you do super excessively.) However, don't get too much of this stuff because it takes forever.

This way, you can ditch us and get all your darn money without becoming subject of bad reputations. Instead, you will probably be admired. Which one do you think is better?

Cheers,

Tomo

P.S. *** Half year vs. All your money. I would take latter any day. Paying loyalty really really sucks, I can testify to that.

Nov 13, 2002 at 5:46 PM Post #17 of 23
"Budgie: Well, you'd be surprised. DIYFSE isn't a big money business - per-amp profits aren't much (unless it's some monstrously complex job), and I'd pity the person who tried to live off one. As is, I think most, if not all of the DIYFSE-ers are doing it more because they like building amps than because they want cash (though I have to admit that I was an exception, I did it because I both liked building amps and needed a summer job). Now, if you could convince the BUYERS to spend more... "

Eric, believe me I do know about this subject. I am 100% self employed and had to learn how to justify the price I charge for my product. I buy parts, build a product and had to figure out how to make a living doing it. The first step in figuring out what to charge is being willing to place a value on your time. Most people starting out undervalueing their own time.

Nov 14, 2002 at 6:02 AM Post #18 of 23
Quick Question:

If a schemetic calls for very un accurate 50 % resistors, you can still use better quality more accurate ones right?

If a schmetic calls for one 5nF cap, you can use 2 2.5nF caps instead, correct? You can also use higher value caps than called for right?

I am thinking of nixing the Cmoy project and building a suped up RA1 instead.

Nov 14, 2002 at 6:26 AM Post #19 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by Czilla9000
Quick Question:

If a schemetic calls for very un accurate 50 % resistors, you can still use better quality more accurate ones right?

If a schmetic calls for one 5nF cap, you can use 2 2.5nF caps instead, correct? You can also use higher value caps than called for right?

I am thinking of nixing the Cmoy project and building a suped up RA1 instead.

Generally speaking, the higher the quality and tolerance, the better the sound.

Not sure about the cap question, but you have to remember to hook up the caps in parallel to take two of them at half the value to equal one of larger value like you stated in your example. But, I would recommend sticking with what they call for just to be safe. Anyone with better knowledge or ideas please correct me if I'm wrong.

Nov 14, 2002 at 7:09 AM Post #21 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by Wodgy
Is there really such a thing as 50% tolerance resistors? My guess is that the schematic you're looking at has a typo, and that they really mean 5%.

Agreed. If memory serves me correctly that would be a Gold color coding on the resistor that would tell you that it is a 5% tolerance. Silver should be 10%, none represent something larger as I don't remeber, been too long!!

Nov 15, 2002 at 1:04 AM Post #22 of 23
Quote:

If memory serves me correctly that would be a Gold color coding on the resistor that would tell you that it is a 5% tolerance. Silver should be 10%

Your memory does serve
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 15, 2002 at 8:44 AM Post #23 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by Ob3ron
Your memory does serve
smily_headphones1.gif

WOOHOO!! It stills works, even after nearly 7 years out of electronics. Sometimes I can't believe all the stuff I have forgotten since I worked in the field. Thank God I still have all my notes from the entire year of school to look back on if I put my foot too far into my mouth!!

Thanks Ob3ron!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back