EDIT: Hisound Audio to Release New DAP Product-Line (NOVA with micro SD card support)
Mar 16, 2013 at 9:26 PM Post #886 of 1,083
By the way... I think the N1 and N3 firmware images are the same... same exact file size.

So the only major difference is the headphone amp power output which is slightly higher in N3...?

Mar 16, 2013 at 10:30 PM Post #887 of 1,083
Could be but I doubt it. They were created 2 min apart. You'll find the same size in both the Studio-D and Studio BA FW files which were created 3 min apart and they sound quite different and have different gain as well.

Lee, I no longer have my -P but my take is the same as yours. -P is a fine player, ba better and Studio 3rd a clear step up.

Regarding the Nova3, I can't go back to check but the extra gain of the new FW may have made a very subtle change in sound. It has me debating between HS2 and Hifi presets when I always preferred HS2 before. The new FW may have a touch more presence or it could be my imagination. Noise is down and Flac bug is better.
smile.gif

Mar 17, 2013 at 2:34 AM Post #888 of 1,083
I find the gain of the HSA V2 preset eq to be too high from the start at low volume levels.

What differences in sound signature do you find between HSA V2 and Hifi eq presets on the latest 20130309 firmware?

Mar 17, 2013 at 6:25 AM Post #889 of 1,083
HSA has a bit more presence or vibrancy to it. It was only a short listen in the car after the update and not having listened to it for a week before so don't read too much into the preference part. Hifi is about 4 notches lower gain. Seems to have more life than in the previous FW but like I said, could just be me.

Mar 17, 2013 at 6:29 AM Post #890 of 1,083
For some reason I also do like the Hifi preset more than I did previously. Previously the sound was more closed in and congested, even on the EQ Flat setting. But still from volume 28 to 32 there is no volume increase while using EQ Flat. That needs to be fixed.... I'm also not really sure if they allowed for lower volume listening either. Possibly a little but it's hard to tell. I do get that glitch on ever start up. So does everyone else get the messed up screen or is that inherent on only some devices?

Mar 17, 2013 at 7:14 AM Post #891 of 1,083
has anyone noticed the user EQ settings up upside down,? to turn bass up you move the slider down!

Mar 17, 2013 at 7:48 AM Post #892 of 1,083
Quote:
For some reason I also do like the Hifi preset more than I did previously. Previously the sound was more closed in and congested, even on the EQ Flat setting. But still from volume 28 to 32 there is no volume increase while using EQ Flat. That needs to be fixed.... I'm also not really sure if they allowed for lower volume listening either. Possibly a little but it's hard to tell. I do get that glitch on ever start up. So does everyone else get the messed up screen or is that inherent on only some devices?

I don't mind the volume limiting part on a preset. There's HSA and WooDoo for those that need more V. I agree it sounds better overall except for in the HSA preset which for me is still one of the top 2 settings along with HiFi. Perhaps the next update could have a lower gain HSA option added but it's pretty good now as is.

Mar 17, 2013 at 7:55 AM Post #893 of 1,083
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee730 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm also not really sure if they allowed for lower volume listening either. Possibly a little but it's hard to tell. I do get that glitch on ever start up. So does everyone else get the messed up screen or is that inherent on only some devices?

The lowest volume didn't change much (or not at all).

I get the messed up start screen on about every second start.

Did you also notice a small loading time when playing from microsd? With the old firmware the songs started right away...

Mar 17, 2013 at 7:59 AM Post #894 of 1,083
Quote:
The lowest volume didn't change much (or not at all).

I get the messed up start screen on about every second start.

Did you also notice a small loading time when playing from microsd? With the old firmware the songs started right away...

Yep. But it does seem to be slightly faster on the 64 GB cards unless that is just in my head. Seems to be better to just skip through songs instead of selecting a particular song as it adds to the wait time.

Mar 17, 2013 at 8:00 AM Post #895 of 1,083
Quote:
I don't mind the volume limiting part on a preset. There's HSA and WooDoo for those that need more V. I agree it sounds better overall except for in the HSA preset which for me is still one of the top 2 settings along with HiFi. Perhaps the next update could have a lower gain HSA option added but it's pretty good now as is.

I'd like for them to just give you more headroom on the volume control itself. I'm not sure how hard that would be? Can't they add more than 30 steps with more headroom for volume control in each step? Well maybe not as the X30 is also maxed at 32 I think. Still on EQ Flat as I said from volume 28/29 there is no more volume added when you go up from there up to 32 lol.

Mar 17, 2013 at 8:05 AM Post #896 of 1,083
Quote:
Yep. But it does seem to be slightly faster on the 64 GB cards unless that is just in my head. Seems to be better to just skip through songs instead of selecting a particular song as it adds to the wait time.

I just tested some different cards. Class 10 loads faster than Class 4. The noise is the same on both.

Mar 17, 2013 at 8:11 AM Post #897 of 1,083
Quote:
I'd like for them to just give you more headroom on the volume control itself. I'm not sure how hard that would be? Can't they add more than 30 steps with more headroom for volume control in each step? Well maybe not as the X30 is also maxed at 32 I think. Still on EQ Flat as I said from volume 28/29 there is no more volume added when you go up from there up to 32 lol.

this was the same as before and not addressed.

The fade in issue has gone, now just the first half a second is chopped off the start of each song.

Can we start making a list to send to Jack?

1) User EQ setting too quiet
2) EQ sliders upside down
3) Beginning of songs is chopped off

any more? 
I am only interested in issues that affect the sound, 
errors like the Album tags not working I can live with.

Mar 17, 2013 at 8:12 AM Post #898 of 1,083
Quote:
I just tested some different cards. Class 10 loads faster than Class 4. The noise is the same on both.

Before the update on my unit the class 10 64 GB cards were extremely loud to the point unacceptable to be used for music on the N1. After the update the audibility of the noise from the SD slot with these cards is now acceptable. About the same as with the noise on the 32 GB cards.

Mar 17, 2013 at 9:49 AM Post #899 of 1,083
Quote:
Can we start making a list to send to Jack?

1) User EQ setting too quiet
2) EQ sliders upside down
3) Beginning of songs is chopped off

any more? 
I am only interested in issues that affect the sound, 
errors like the Album tags not working I can live with.

Well I personally think HSA v2 EQ setting is too loud from the start at volume levels 1, 2, 3...

The problems with the EQ sliders being reversed and beginning of playback chopped off are just terrible problems that should not occur at all. Sigh.

Mar 17, 2013 at 10:20 AM Post #900 of 1,083
N3 update is disappointing imo....

The noise on screen light up had improve, but it isn't totally removed.

folder still sort by "date" instead of name, on some folder it arrange by name instead of track number... there are just no way to enjoy my my music...

I give up, will put mine up for sale

Users who are viewing this thread

Back