EDIT: Headphone suggestions $1,000 Need bass! (25Hz-45Hz)
Aug 7, 2008 at 6:33 AM Post #31 of 39
IMO the bass on the Ultrasone sounds very speaker like when you get used to the presentation.

The bass on the D2/5K is a bit much with out the mods IMO.

On the type of bass you are talking about - 40hz and down, my eyes actually twitch with the amount of air being force fed into my ears. I think there is a medical definition for what is happening, but can't think of it. The Ultrasone cannot do that!

The Sony SA5000 rolls the bass off more than the HD650, but it has more impact / punchiness and sounds better IMO for the genres you list - my favorite for the genres you list actually.

Listening to dubstep or hard drum & bass on my Denons makes me nauseous - the "Mark L Mod" with the cups filled made the bass MUCH better (less boom aka: tighter, flatter fr)

Aug 7, 2008 at 5:55 PM Post #33 of 39
For subbass you NEED closed headphones. Open headphones simply lose power down there. Ultrasone Proline 750 / Pro750 is great for this. Very strong and yet very tight bass all the way down. Highs might be problematic for some though.

Aug 7, 2008 at 7:21 PM Post #34 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by M3NTAL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
On the type of bass you are talking about - 40hz and down, my eyes actually twitch with the amount of air being force fed into my ears. I think there is a medical definition for what is happening, but can't think of it. The Ultrasone cannot do that!

i noticed this too. some other bassy headphones i've tried don't deliver the same amount of bass as the prolines but they hurt my ear drums more. it's like i have lower tolerance to bass when i'm listening to regular headphones. the prolines have a strange ability to deliver more bass without being fatiguing and painful. after months of listening, i have finally settled on the hypothesis that the offset drivers are to thank for this...i believe they produce bass that is more diffused in the earcup rather than directly injecting the bass it into your ear canal. this also helps to create a more speaker-like airy bass effect on the prolines.

Aug 8, 2008 at 2:57 PM Post #35 of 39
D5000s all the way.

Aug 24, 2008 at 3:29 PM Post #37 of 39
Back again,

Sorry to dig up and old thread but I just wanted to let you guys know that I bought the D5000's and they are incredible, and I haven't even gotten the amp/DAC for them yet! A Benchmark DAC1 is on its way.

Thanks for all your suggestions! I really felt like I made an informed decision based on everyones input. Unfortunately I never would have been able to demo any of the other headphones that people suggested but I'm happy with my purchase
L3000.gif

Aug 24, 2008 at 6:11 PM Post #38 of 39
good choice, congrats

Aug 25, 2008 at 10:40 AM Post #39 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Luke12390 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Back again,

Sorry to dig up and old thread but I just wanted to let you guys know that I bought the D5000's and they are incredible, and I haven't even gotten the amp/DAC for them yet! A Benchmark DAC1 is on its way.

Thanks for all your suggestions! I really felt like I made an informed decision based on everyones input. Unfortunately I never would have been able to demo any of the other headphones that people suggested but I'm happy with my purchase
L3000.gif

Congrats man, you did well! I was in the same position and actually went with the HD650s for now, planning on the D5000s eventually. DAC1 too. Glad you are pleased.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back