EDIT: Chicago Mini Meet!!!!!! (Updated location for the 21st! of Feb.)
Feb 19, 2009 at 5:25 PM Post #31 of 42
well if skylab comes out, that would be cool. I actually have a few things I'd like to ask him. I may bring a friend as well. I finally got the info for my thing on saturday, and I am committed to be there till about 3:30. I'll be on the south side, right off 55. so what time you guys wanna try for?

would RSA be interested in a small meet? or does he only frequent the larger gatherings? He came to the last mini meet, but there were a lot more people. Germania, drop him a note, he likes you!!!

Feb 20, 2009 at 12:53 AM Post #32 of 42
I might be able to make it if there is still room. Someone is coming over on Sat, but they should be gone in time. If not, I'll just shove them out!

I don't have much to offer however. Anyone interested in the audioengine A2's or Millett MAX? If not, my portable rig and I might hop on up there.

Feb 20, 2009 at 2:46 AM Post #33 of 42
Just saw this and would very much like to attend. But, alas, work calls me out of town - in Florida, which is too bad overall considering February in Chicago. I hope everyone enjoys the meet.

Feb 20, 2009 at 5:06 AM Post #34 of 42
I am perfectly comfortable with just a few people showing - what time do you guys want to start?

AS AN INCENTIVE TO COME.......

I will have BAGS And BAGS of high end vintage parts (Sprague Electrolitics, stereo pair of audio Japanese Chokes, shielded High Voltage Power Transformers from a Tectronix PSU, Japanese low voltage transformers, wire, Really nice Chicago inductors (perfect for crossovers), resistors, etc.

Plus, two chassis - a small vintage power amplifier and the Tectronix chassis which is almost completely stripped and ready to use.

Seriously guys, the only stuff I took from these and am going to keep are the things that I would use (tubes, 1% tolerance wire wound high wattage resistors, and loads of film capacitors).

If you know someone who might use this stuff, just take it. I seriously have more parts than I do room to store them!

Feb 20, 2009 at 12:26 PM Post #37 of 42
May I wish all you boys and girls a very nice meet.
Don't forget us. Take pictures and post your impressions here!
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 20, 2009 at 1:16 PM Post #38 of 42
My attendance will be a last-minute sort of thing, and will depend somewhat on how bad the snow is. But I will try!

Feb 21, 2009 at 5:01 AM Post #39 of 42
Hey all, I have not heard anything solid about tomorrows mini meet. I honestly dont know if its happening or not. maybe we tried to rush it in the last week. Stacy, I'm pm'ing you with my cell number. I will literally be unavailable from 8am-3pm tomorrow. please let me know if the meet is happening. then the when and where. thanks a bunch

Feb 21, 2009 at 7:19 AM Post #40 of 42
OK guys,

3PM start time!

2420 Campus Dr.
Evanston, IL 60201

Building Name: Kemper

My cell: 847-212-2518

Please come - should be a fund time for e few hours with plenty of time to listen to many rigs.

Feb 21, 2009 at 1:01 PM Post #41 of 42
Edit: I don't think I'll be able to make it.

Feb 22, 2009 at 7:38 PM Post #42 of 42
3's good company for this truely MINI-meet. Germania has it goin on w/ all her cable mods, hdph mods and DIY Millet amp mod. I urge anyone to give her Millet mod a good listen. Additionally, her Sony CS1000 mod was quite nice and just made my Sony F1 snd like crap with acoustic music. I've heard about the F1 mod but haven't tried it yet.

We made an interesting discovery at the 11th hr. I was first comparing 2 prs of IC's she made w/ subtle differences, then for grins A/B my modded ASL w/ matched pr of Mazda BQ5's and rare Mullard 12AX7. My ASL seemed like a good small tube hdph amp when sourced by iPod listening to jazz and acoustic tunes but suddenly I felt the OUCH as the modded Millet was full, spacious, and detailed. More shocking was when I A/B the Millet w/ my MPX3 Slam, but I kept it to myself and simply asked Germania to give a quick listen as she was wrapping up stuff. YES, in a ball park sort of way, THEY SOUNDED SIMILAR. Sure there's finer points to argue like silkier top end, bottom punch and forward sndstage from Snglpwr, but the overall presentation was remarkable alike. (I should have done the same comparison w/ different hdphs and see if the consistency remained, next meet).

With all the special tricks and trims Germania altered into the basic Millet DIY design, I would say she unknowingly voiced it to be a lighter version of the MPX3 SLAM and I was even using the Ken Rad VT 231 for output. The air and articulation were spot on and even the gain on her smaller amp was remarkably high, due in large part to her beefed up pwr supply. Everything had P2P wiring and true audiophile caps and resistors. The styling was good w/ some room for improvement, but I think the screws that stuck out on top versus being flush had a DIY charm factor.

I finally got my 1st listen to STAX thanks to Keithpgdrb and realized how unspacious I thought my HD650's really were, however, the HD's made up for what the STAX lacked in bottom end and punch. This comparison forces one to choose what one prefers regarding air, articulation, focus, speed and staging, notwithstanding a huge price point difference. I would add that the modded CS1000's have similar qualities to the STAX7 in air and mid detail yet offers a little more bass and relaxed presentation.

Finally, I liked Germania's direction w/ cable wiring, copper/silver single core combo w/ stranded copper grnd in a teflon dialectric which I think mirrors what Stephan Arts does w/ their HD cables. Plus, her fabric housing was better that Stephan's nylon jacket in durability and microphonics.

I couldn't believe how late we talked shop and how far down the Head-Fi rabbit hole we went till I got a call from my girl returning from work and asking me to bring the dog down for his night walk. Thankfully there was no mess to clean up but not feeding him put me in the dog house for the night.
frown.gif

Here's pics from the event.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back