Edifier Studio 8 / Edifier R2800
May 10, 2015 at 1:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

cjs001

500+ Head-Fier
Just wondering if anyone here has had them and what are their thoughts on them? Their information on the Internet seems scarce and review are few and far in between.

http://www.inter-asia.com.my/product/edifier-studio-8-r2800/

May 10, 2015 at 2:44 AM Post #2 of 6
My friend has these and uses them  on his patio (actually, they're in the living room, but he puts them by the window and points them at us while grilling). In general, sound is good enough for the price, but it's easy to see why the price is what it is. The panels on the cabinet aren't 3/4in thick, and these are relatively large cabinets - they pound more bass but my smaller Swans D1080MkII 08 had cleaner bass, and not that much less in quantity. Basically between these two (or whatever version the D1080 is at right now) I'd choose the Swans - they don't use 3/4in MDF except in the front baffle but the smaller cabinets make that less of a problem. Cabinets look nicer too, and does better on the knock test.

May 10, 2015 at 3:06 AM Post #3 of 6

My friend has these and uses them  on his patio (actually, they're in the living room, but he puts them by the window and points them at us while grilling). In general, sound is good enough for the price, but it's easy to see why the price is what it is. The panels on the cabinet aren't 3/4in thick, and these are relatively large cabinets - they pound more bass but my smaller Swans D1080MkII 08 had cleaner bass, and not that much less in quantity. Basically between these two (or whatever version the D1080 is at right now) I'd choose the Swans - they don't use 3/4in MDF except in the front baffle but the smaller cabinets make that less of a problem. Cabinets look nicer too, and does better on the knock test.

So you're saying the cabinets aren't thick/strong enough for the bass quantity the Studio 8 are pumping out?

May 10, 2015 at 12:52 PM Post #4 of 6
  So you're saying the cabinets aren't thick/strong enough for the bass quantity the Studio 8 are pumping out?

If you care more about the quantity of the bass, they're good enough for the price. If you want the sound to be tighter and more neutral (these Edifiers are a little boomy in the midrange), then you'd want to spend a little bit more and get something else.

May 10, 2015 at 10:36 PM Post #6 of 6
  Any good recommendations then? 

First suggestion already made:

Apart from that, it depends on whether you can get them in your area - our local brick and mortar dealer was more reliable than internet dealers after Swans changed to other dealers. If you're in N.America, I'm not sure if they've already set up a new dealer network (despite the fact that their design/engineering outfit is somewhere in California), so it might be better to go with the 5in Monoprice monitors (you can find them on the Monoprice website).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back