Edifier Studio 1600TIII vs Luna Eclipse E25 vs R1800 TIII, any thoughts?
Jun 13, 2016 at 10:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Bakgrund

New Head-Fier
Hi, I'm looking for some affordable 2.0 speakers to use with my pc. I am currently using ath m50 headphones and I like the audio of them so I'd like something that sounds similar, but of course speakers. I don't plan on doing any editing where you need alot of precision, I just want good sounding speakers for listening to music and watching movies, regular use.

I am very interested in the Edifier Luna Eclipse e25, Edifier R1600 TIII and the Edifier R1800 TIII but I'm not sure what to pick. I really like the design of the E25, but I'm not sure if they compromise on sound quality compared to the other mentioned speakers.

I would just like your opinion on what to pick, what would get me the best sound quality? I really can't decide, so all thoughts are very welcome :)

Jun 13, 2016 at 11:30 AM Post #2 of 4
Hard to tell from the specs alone, to begin with the R1800T quotes different power figures on the same page; past that, the difference from the R1600T seems to be that the R1800T uses a Class D amplifier. At this price point that usually means two things - at lower output levels it might have less noise and less distortion, but once you really push it, these will pile on faster than on the A/B amp. Otherwise the driver specs and even the cabinet design seem to be the same. Depending on how much more expensive the R1800T is it might be the better buy - as long as heat management is the same rather than cheaper on it the Class D chip will pile on less heat, so in theory at least, it will be more reliable if you use it for longer listening sessions.

As for the E25, the main difference apart from aesthetics is that it has a smaller 3in bass driver, but it does have passive bass radiators. Still it's hard to tell how that is vs larger cabinets and a slightly larger driver, although the shape of the cabinets on the E25 would in theory at least have less distortion since it's not a box with corners inside.I wouldn't worry if it's sacrificing sound for looks given how in theory a boxy enclosure interior would have some issues, and while you might suspect the passive bass radiators to be less precise, chances are you could have the same effect if they forced the 4in drivers to dig deeper and play those notes louder through the port tuning anyway. On top of that, I've heard reviews about how solid the E25 enclosure feels, while the R1200 just felt cheap when I ran into one at a local store (too light, panels are obviously 1/2in thick, sucked on the knock test, etc). Unless reviews state the R1600 and R1800 aren't built like that the E25 might actually be better built hence the price premium.

The E25 does have Bluetooth that the others don't, so that can be what drives your decision, ie if you have guests over anyone can use their own Spotify playlist on them with their own smartphones. 

Jun 14, 2016 at 9:59 AM Post #3 of 4

Hard to tell from the specs alone, to begin with the R1800T quotes different power figures on the same page; past that, the difference from the R1600T seems to be that the R1800T uses a Class D amplifier. At this price point that usually means two things - at lower output levels it might have less noise and less distortion, but once you really push it, these will pile on faster than on the A/B amp. Otherwise the driver specs and even the cabinet design seem to be the same. Depending on how much more expensive the R1800T is it might be the better buy - as long as heat management is the same rather than cheaper on it the Class D chip will pile on less heat, so in theory at least, it will be more reliable if you use it for longer listening sessions.

As for the E25, the main difference apart from aesthetics is that it has a smaller 3in bass driver, but it does have passive bass radiators. Still it's hard to tell how that is vs larger cabinets and a slightly larger driver, although the shape of the cabinets on the E25 would in theory at least have less distortion since it's not a box with corners inside.I wouldn't worry if it's sacrificing sound for looks given how in theory a boxy enclosure interior would have some issues, and while you might suspect the passive bass radiators to be less precise, chances are you could have the same effect if they forced the 4in drivers to dig deeper and play those notes louder through the port tuning anyway. On top of that, I've heard reviews about how solid the E25 enclosure feels, while the R1200 just felt cheap when I ran into one at a local store (too light, panels are obviously 1/2in thick, sucked on the knock test, etc). Unless reviews state the R1600 and R1800 aren't built like that the E25 might actually be better built hence the price premium.

The E25 does have Bluetooth that the others don't, so that can be what drives your decision, ie if you have guests over anyone can use their own Spotify playlist on them with their own smartphones. 

Thanks for your input! I ordered the white E25 after thinking about it again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back