Edifier Stax Spirit S3
Aug 6, 2022 at 11:30 AM Post #31 of 73
Ayone else noticed the creeking sound from the headband? Apart from that,i think they sound really great.I just bought the xm5s for my daughter,and will be pre-order the sennheiser momentum 4 because of the need of anc,and i also like the sennheiser sound.But the edifiers are great for home use,when u dont need anc,want to take a break from cables,and want crystal clear sound. 😊 The battery time is also awesome.
Yes, I do. But I find it a liveable issue.
Fully agree on the crazy battery life.
Weekend-only charging will be a thing for heavy users of Spirit S3 :)

Aug 7, 2022 at 1:56 AM Post #32 of 73
This works really good

94CB73BF-548C-40CC-9B74-B05EC200AB14.jpeg

Aug 7, 2022 at 6:49 AM Post #33 of 73
Couple of minor personal gripes I have about the Spirit S3:

I think the physical design is a rehash of other Edifier's headphone designs. IMHO, the plastics feel low quality. I'm guessing Edifier had to save money somewhere to pay for Audeze's planar tech IPs. Will be keen to see if Edifier produces a higher-quality planar headphone with future models.

I can't bring myself to call it "Stax". I understand it's a marketing thing but, I think, the legendary headphone maker never created any planar products. The Audeze collaboration was enough to get me interested in the Spirit S3.

Lastly, lacking software ability to tweak the three Classic, Hifi and Stax modes. Though the Stax mode is pretty close to what I like.

Aug 7, 2022 at 6:56 PM Post #35 of 73
Would these well suited for classical? What about sub bass?
Did a low-bass test using Big Boi's Kill Jill track - the couple of seconds of bass rumble, after the intro, was barely discernible (in all 3 EQ mode). Strongest was using classic EQ but was not as satisfying compared to some of my IEMs (eg: FiiO FH3).

Imho, this is not a bass head's headphone. For me, the midrange & highs is where I enjoy this headphones. Good clarity, detail and volume with good sibilance control in STAX mode setting.

Can't comment on classical music suitability as that's not my usual cup of tea.

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2022 at 9:37 PM Post #36 of 73
Couple of minor personal gripes I have about the Spirit S3:

I think the physical design is a rehash of other Edifier's headphone designs. IMHO, the plastics feel low quality. I'm guessing Edifier had to save money somewhere to pay for Audeze's planar tech IPs. Will be keen to see if Edifier produces a higher-quality planar headphone with future models.

I can't bring myself to call it "Stax". I understand it's a marketing thing but, I think, the legendary headphone maker never created any planar products. The Audeze collaboration was enough to get me interested in the Spirit S3.

Lastly, lacking software ability to tweak the three Classic, Hifi and Stax modes. Though the Stax mode is pretty close to what I like.
Everything feels sturdy to me and I don't feel scared to handle them. The fold factor is neat and the genuine leather on the pads and headband has the right amount of softness to make these comfortable to wear for hours on end.

Aug 14, 2022 at 4:54 AM Post #39 of 73
I think these sound good,but the creacking noise is a little annoying.I was using these while taking a call,and then i walked around the house,and these are definitely for use when u are sitting still and not moving your head that much.

Aug 30, 2022 at 8:45 PM Post #41 of 73
Sep 1, 2022 at 3:26 AM Post #44 of 73
Thank you for this, wasn't aware.. Stax "spirit" huh?
Worrying.

He can use the name and Lord knows how much else, he owns STAX; it's the very fact that he's started taking advantage of that which worries me.
Not strictly related to the headphone at hand, am sorry for that, but as it's the same owner behind both, if i may at least voice my concern.
This is a 'cheap' way to capitalise on a known brand for some quick-lived profit. While simultaneously harming the naming of said brand, by (albeit loosely) relating it with far subpar products; not very promising. Slippery slope and all that.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2022 at 6:41 AM Post #45 of 73
Thank you for this, wasn't aware.. Stax "spirit" huh?
Worrying.

He can use the name and Lord knows how much else, he owns STAX; it's the very fact that he's started taking advantage of that which worries me.
Not strictly related to the headphone at hand, am sorry for that, but as it's the same owner behind both, if i may at least voice my concern.
This is a 'cheap' way to capitalise on a known brand for some quick-lived profit. While simultaneously harming the naming of said brand, by (albeit loosely) relating it with far subpar products; not very promising. Slippery slope and all that
Yeah I didn't mind that Stax brand name was used in conjunction with Edifier. Kinda figured some sort of collaboration would happen eventually. I even thought some influence from Edifier would be positive for Stax in modernising a bit.
You are right to voice your concern tho. It is a tad alarming. These headphones are flawed and at a reasonable price point they should be better. The creaking is bad and has only gotten worse over time and it does seem like a common issue. The app is sketchy.. well it is with my android phone.
80hr Planar headphones that sound decent but if you move too much they loudly creak Like What? I will keep mine but it's disappointing that they are ok selling headphones that have that problem.

Slippery slope indeed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back