Edifier S550 Encore
Feb 18, 2014 at 10:23 PM Post #3 of 12
There's this review here, but it is in german:

http://www.tomshardware.de/edifier-s550-encore-review-sound-check,testberichte-241468.html

Previously, I was planning on buying the Edifier S530D, now I'm trying to choose between the 550 Encore and the 730.

Feb 19, 2014 at 7:08 AM Post #5 of 12
On the specs page it reads "not less than" 85dBA. The S730 and the old S550 both share this spec.

I thought they were good for the price, everyone keeps saying me that. Now I'm questioning that.

Feb 19, 2014 at 8:36 AM Post #6 of 12
A typical SNR for audio CDs is 96db. Receiver and amplifier separates will usually have an SNR of 95db or better. So an amp that's rated 85db is raising the noise floor over 10db. So if the amplifier has that kind of design compromise, it would make me wonder what other compromises there are.

Now that's probably not bad for computer desktop multimedia systems or even some HTIB setups. However, I don't where you are located, but here in the US with the price of the Encore S550 at around $700 shipped, it should be possible to put together a good system for that using home audio components, assuming one has room for an AVR.

Feb 19, 2014 at 7:32 PM Post #7 of 12
I'm in Portugal, and here the Encore S550 costs about 550€.
It's funny that you mention the option for a set of home audio components and an AVR. That was also recommended to me today at a portuguese store specialized in sound. They defend the optical connection over the analog one, which is the only one present in the 550.
Would you mind giving me some advice in private or on my thread (http://www.head-fi.org/t/704555/need-help-choosing-a-pair-of-over-ear-headphones-and-a-soundcard-or-external-amp-dac-combo)? Because I want to spend my money wisely, and I hear so many different opinions on the web that I get a little confused. Unfortunately, I don't have the option to try the sound system prior to actually buying it.

Feb 19, 2014 at 7:51 PM Post #8 of 12
I'm in Portugal, and here the Encore S550 costs about 550€.
It's funny that you mention the option for a set of home audio components and an AVR. That was also recommended to me today at a portuguese store specialized in sound. They defend the optical connection over the analog one, which is the only one present in the 550.
Would you mind giving me some advice in private or on my thread? Because I want to spend my money wisely, and I hear so many different opinions on the web that I get a little confused. Unfortunately, I don't have the option to try the sound system prior to actually buying it.

I know the deals here in the US, but not anywhere else. So I don't know how much I can tell you about particular models available where you are.

However, there are a lot of advantages of going with home audio components and an AVR over a speaker setup in box package like this. For example, the option to upgrade components later if you want. You can decide you want a better sub, or maybe you want better front speakers, and you can upgrade just those pieces. Or for that matter, you could choose to build slowly. Start with the AVR and one set of speakers and then add as you can afford it or find good deals--although your front three speakers should timbre match, which generally means buying speakers from the same manufacturer AND model line (don't mismatch those).

AVR's also have HDMI inputs. So if you have an HDMI out on your computer, you can run that to the receiver. And then of course there's the option to plug in additional source components (gaming console, bluray player, etc.).

Also, the S550s only have 3.25" drivers. That's pretty small and why the Tom's Hardware piece lists their frequency response as Satellite: 130Hz ~ 20KHz (± 5dB) . Probably need a crossover of 150hz, which means the sub is handling all the midbass response. Typically for HT usage, you want larger driver speakers (5" or 6") that play down to at least 70hz (-3db) so that you an set a crossover at 80hz. Above 80hz, and bass tends to become more localizable--you can more easily tell it's coming from the sub.

If you want to learn a lot about HT systems and what to think about when buying them, I suggest starting a post in the AVS speaker forum. They are to home audio as head-fi is to headphones. Lot of home audio enthusiasts who are willing to help. Tell them what you are thinking about buying and ask questions, and I might even see you there :)

Feb 19, 2014 at 8:38 PM Post #9 of 12
Thanks for the wise answer. I'll certainly start a thread in the AVS forum. It's better to invest the money in small steps and upgrade as necessary than to go crazy and buy the first thing you see just because it is appealing in a certain way. Also, I do have a PS3 and the S550s are somewhat poor in that regard, because of the lack of digital inputs.

I think I'll buy a pair of Senns HD598 and an Asus Xonar Essence STX or a Creative Sound Blaster ZxR, spending around 340 to 410€. So, I'll have in principle 600€ left for the beginning of the HT system build. 

Feb 19, 2014 at 8:51 PM Post #10 of 12
Thanks for the wise answer. I'll certainly start a thread in the AVS forum. It's better to invest the money in small steps and upgrade as necessary than to go crazy and buy the first thing you see just because it is appealing in a certain way. Also, I do have a PS3 and the S550s are somewhat poor in that regard, because of the lack of digital inputs.

I think I'll buy a pair of Senns HD598 and an Asus Xonar Essence STX or a Creative Sound Blaster ZxR, spending around 340 to 410€. So, I'll have in principle 600€ left for the beginning of the HT system build. 

If you have a PS3, you definitely want something better than the S550. And you definitely would enjoy building a killer HT setup for movies and gaming :D

One thing if your budget is tight. Since you have a PS3, you could look for a used mid level AVR (Denon, Onkyo, Pioneer Elite, Marantz, Yamaha) that has HDMI but is pre HD decoding. The PS3 can do it's own decoding of HD audio on blu-rays and send it as PCM to the receiver. I think they would be six or seven years old. So I bought my Denon AVR-888 new back before DTS or Dolby HD audio, and the PS3 does it for me. No reason for me to upgrade :)

Another thing to consider is that if you can find an AVR that sounds good to you with the HD598s, you can get a Xonar DG or DGX sound card for a lot less and use its optical output to the receiver, and the DG or DGX can still output Dolby Headphone over optical to the receiver like the STX has. So you might want to get the HD 598s first, and do some listening to receivers and then decide whether you want to put the money into an expensive sound card or not.

Feb 19, 2014 at 10:11 PM Post #11 of 12
If you have a PS3, you definitely want something better than the S550. And you definitely would enjoy building a killer HT setup for movies and gaming
biggrin.gif

One thing if your budget is tight. Since you have a PS3, you could look for a used mid level AVR (Denon, Onkyo, Pioneer Elite, Marantz, Yamaha) that has HDMI but is pre HD decoding. The PS3 can do it's own decoding of HD audio on blu-rays and send it as PCM to the receiver. I think they would be six or seven years old. So I bought my Denon AVR-888 new back before DTS or Dolby HD audio, and the PS3 does it for me. No reason for me to upgrade
smily_headphones1.gif

Another thing to consider is that if you can find an AVR that sounds good to you with the HD598s, you can get a Xonar DG or DGX sound card for a lot less and use its optical output to the receiver, and the DG or DGX can still output Dolby Headphone over optical to the receiver like the STX has. So you might want to get the HD 598s first, and do some listening to receivers and then decide whether you want to put the money into an expensive sound card or not.

That's a pretty interesting idea. :) Then I could just use an entry-level sound card from Asus or Creative as a pass-through for the digital sound (and to make its processing) and allocate more money towards a good receiver which can supersede the quality of the Burr-Brown DACs and TI 6120A2 Amp in either the STX or ZxR. Is this possible within the price range we are talking about here?

Also, I would use the receiver with the PS3, PC and a set-top box. I would like to build a good quality 2.1 setup for now, I don't know whether this is achievable or not though, or if I'm rushing things a bit. :) 

Feb 20, 2014 at 9:42 AM Post #12 of 12
That's a pretty interesting idea. :) Then I could just use an entry-level sound card from Asus or Creative as a pass-through for the digital sound (and to make its processing) and allocate more money towards a good receiver which can supersede the quality of the Burr-Brown DACs and TI 6120A2 Amp in either the STX or ZxR. Is this possible within the price range we are talking about here?

Also, I would use the receiver with the PS3, PC and a set-top box. I would like to build a good quality 2.1 setup for now, I don't know whether this is achievable or not though, or if I'm rushing things a bit. :) 

Dacs offer extremely diminishing rate of return for SQ as you go up in price, and it's more about the implementation than the exact model DAC. Similarly, if the headphone amp is implemented well and is a good match for the headphones. So for example, the $30 Sansa Clip+ mp3 player compares favorably with iPods and iPhones in SQ. HD 5898s are not that difficult to drive. That's why I said go listen. If you are happy with the sound coming from the receiver playing your music through the headphones, what you don't know won't hurt you over whether or not the STX or ZxR are any better :)

If starting out with a 2.1 setup with goals toward 5.1, keep in mind that the first pair of speakers you buy does not have to end up in the front soundstage; they can be moved to surround duty later on when you have more money to spend on a better set of front speakers. Subs can be the most problematic choice in home audio selection because (a) you are paying for a big speaker, big enclosure, and an amplifier--going too cheap doesn't get you much (most people under spend on their sub); (b) subs at full MSRP can vary widely in their price/performance value between makes and models; and (c) the size/power of the sub you need is dictated by the size of your room, the distance from the listening position, and how loud you like to listen. Check out the AVS subwoofer forum. The people there talk about home audio subs all day long and would be good at offering advice on subs you find :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back