Edifier r1600t with Xonar DG soundcard
Aug 11, 2011 at 1:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

lemon2

Head-Fier
Hello

I've been recommended the Edifier R1600ts (£69.00) and the Xonar DG soundcard (£20) for my new PC.

That setup totals £90, and the R1600ts are quite large bookshelf speakers.

I was wondering if there was a smaller, and cheaper 2.0 setup that would sound similarly good.

Possibly in the £30-50 price range.

If it helps, I have an MSI P67A GD65 motherboard.

Aug 11, 2011 at 2:44 PM Post #2 of 13
Well these are active monitors with amp built in them and 5" drivers IIRC so there is only so small they can go hehe Also frankly outside the bigger more established brands i would say the Edifier T and Microlab Solo series offer very good SQ for small money Having gone with the 1900TII set up for my niece, i was pleasantly surprised and i have heard the AV40 and AE5 mind you 
tongue_smile.gif
 Plan B i suppose would be dipping into the used market for bookshelf speakers and for near field listening consider the Lepai TA2020 amp?

Aug 11, 2011 at 3:06 PM Post #3 of 13
I have seen so many recommendations for the R1600ts, maybe I should just get those. I'm just reluctant to spend too much on them as I will mostly use headphones. It's also the size, I'll be putting them either side a large monitor, and my desk is barely big enough.

I know nothing about sound cards, which is why I may get the Xonar DG. The step up from nothing to this £20 card should be enough.

Aug 11, 2011 at 6:19 PM Post #5 of 13

Quote:
1.º  Get the R1600t

2.º  Then, consider the necessity of another sound card

Could you possibly suggest a sound card?
Or at least a price range in which decent sound cards lie?

I may get these speakers, but I would love something under £50.
If they are really worth the money then maybe...

Aug 11, 2011 at 7:40 PM Post #7 of 13

Quote:
What do you want from a sound card (that your onboard doesn´t have) ?

Mainly to improve the sound of games.
I don't have any technical audio knowledge at all.

Since I am no audiophile, I thought that the jump between onboard sound and the £20 Xonar DG would be sufficient.

The thing is, I'm really not sure I will use speakers that much, compared to headphones.
Everyone I have asked has recommended the R1600ts, but £69.99 is a lot of money for something I will barely use.

However if I fail to find a good alternative under £50, I will get the R1600ts.

I don't mind spending on a soundcard as they will help my headphones too.

Aug 11, 2011 at 7:56 PM Post #8 of 13
Here,

http://techreport.com/articles.x/19997

there´s a nice review of the DG.  This card is targeted to headphones,  according the review,  and Sound Blasters are targeted to games,  according  many people.

Aug 12, 2011 at 6:28 AM Post #9 of 13

Quote:
Here,

http://techreport.com/articles.x/19997

there´s a nice review of the DG.  This card is targeted to headphones,  according the review,  and Sound Blasters are targeted to games,  according  many people.

Thanks for that article, that makes the sound card situation a lot clearer.

My problem is that I currently have nothing to compare the R1600Ts with. Is there anything in the £20-£50 range that would be half decent?

Aug 13, 2011 at 6:43 PM Post #12 of 13
Ok I am completely sold on the Edifiers for music, and I am now happy with the £50-£100 price range.

However there is one last thing I would like to consider, and that is whether I should get the Edifiers or a 2.1 set.

If I wanted to use them for gaming with big explosions (i.e. Battlefield 3) then would the Edifiers do ok? Or should I really be looking at a subwoofer too?

Are there any 2.1 sets in my price range that are as good as the Edifiers for music, whilst also having a subwoofer for bass?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back