Eddie Current Zana Deux Transformer Appreciation Thread - AKA ZDT
Jul 12, 2009 at 5:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 77

HeadphoneAddict

Headphoneus Supremus
My ZDT arrived this Friday and I posted much of this elsewhere. It was suggested in the Balancing Act thread that I take the ZDT to it's own thread, so here I am. I plan to post many more impressions in post #1 as I spend time with the ZDT.

STAX via 8-watt speaker outputs and transformer sound great: I have finally tried it tonight with my Stax SRD-7 Mk2 SB pro-bias and normal bias transformer box, using my woodied Gamma Pro built by Smeggy (aka Smegma Pros). The sound is MUCH better than driving them off the 5-watt/ch Travagans Red with AD743 opamps (see photo below). It is more refined sounding with better depth, and not too bright any more. I played Eva Cassidy "Live at Blues Alley" and the sound was very close to that of my Woo GES, with just a little less micro-detail and space. Using my PS Audio Digital Link DAC RCA out > ZDT gave me a bit more gain than the PSA XLR out > Jensens Transformers > RCA out > ZDT, and I could crank the volume to max with out any distortion or break up in the sound - it sounded at least as good as the Koss ESP 950 with Stax re-cable that I used to own (on a good amp, not the Koss E/90). I briefly tried the O2 Mk1 before I had to run out the door, and I was almost late to dinner because it sounded so good I couldn't put them down!

K1000 via 4-pin XLR: My K1000 (#1378 bess-heavy) sound fantastic off the Eddie Current ZDT - the best I have heard them sound to date. I was all ready to sell the K1000 if this amp didn't improve their sound to what I expected (and bring the K1000 closer to the level of my HD800), but it did it in spades.

The missing sparkle in the K1000 that I loved with Naamanf's B22 has now appeared, the vocals are more vivid and rich, macro and micro detail is noticeably improved, soundstage is more solid, and bass is as strong as before but now much better controlled. Plus they play as loud as I would like via the 4-pin XLR jack, when fed via RCA out of my PS Audio Digital Link III. So there is no advantage to using the stock K1000 speaker-terminal pigtail with them, and instead I can use ZDT speaker out for my Stax transformers (will try later this weekend). The PS Audio XLR out > Jensen transformers XLR-to-RCA converter > ZDT has slightly less volume at a given volume knob position, but the amp still has enough gain to drive them well.

None of my previous small 5-12 watt speaker amps can drive the K1000 as well as the ZDT (Travagans Red, Nuforce Icon, and Qinpu A-3), nor can my Single Power Square Wave XL balanced amp. The Sq Wave can play them loudly, but it cannot extract the same great sound from the K1000 like the ZDT, while Sq Wave XL is very nice with other normal headphones (like balanced HD600/800 or balanced/modded D2000).

Dynamic headphones rock! My single ended HF-2, and balanced HD600/HD800 also sound quite good with the ZDT as well. The plan was to have the WA6 and GES in the living room rig for stats and dynamics, and the ZDT with Stax Pro transformer in the bedroom rig for stats and dynamics and K1000. But, the ZDT puts off so much heat that it may only be in the bedroom rig during the winter
eek.gif

All I had to do to pay for this was sell my Stax O2 Mk2 and APS re-cabled Edition 9. I have NO regrets at all. I just moved the maxed WA6 to the living room to compare to the ZDT, but haven't gotten around to that part yet. I suspect that if I wasn't still using the WA6 in another room, and if the ZDT didn't put out so much heat, that I'd have no reason to keep the WA6 (a great amp as well).

web.jpg

Jul 12, 2009 at 3:50 PM Post #4 of 77
My #4 unfortunately won't get here till wed...but then starts a prolonged work schedule of nights....in another town in another state.
frown.gif

Interesting that you went for the K1000 to try out right away Larry. I am set to try out the Stax Sigma's out first. I know that the HD800 will sound very good as it sounds good with the EC HD300 OTL amp (RCA 6SN7 VT-231grey glass) It may push me to convert the Sigma to a pro bias as I have a SR303 to work with. The 303 may really smoothen out tho...

Craig uses current production Mullard 12AX7 tubes and will be interesting to hear how tube-rolling gets....way too many choices.

Jul 12, 2009 at 8:28 PM Post #5 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by tako_tsubo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My #4 unfortunately won't get here till wed...but then starts a prolonged work schedule of nights....in another town in another state.
frown.gif

Interesting that you went for the K1000 to try out right away Larry. I am set to try out the Stax Sigma's out first. I know that the HD800 will sound very good as it sounds good with the EC HD300 OTL amp (RCA 6SN7 VT-231grey glass) It may push me to convert the Sigma to a pro bias as I have a SR303 to work with. The 303 may really smoothen out tho...

Craig uses current production Mullard 12AX7 tubes and will be interesting to hear how tube-rolling gets....way too many choices.

I went for the K1000 first because those are the one pair of high end phones I own that haven't lived up to their reputation, and the whole reason I went for the ZDT to find an amp to suit them. But I thought I would have to drive them off the 8-watt speaker outputs, yet the 4-pin output does just fine. The Stax transformers and Stax headphones, on the other hand, seem to sound good with just about every amp I throw at them.

So far I am thrilled with the ZDT!

Jul 13, 2009 at 7:35 AM Post #6 of 77
Thanks for your impressions and no wonder that K1000 have great bass, its those Russian tubes that make them sound like this, I believe, cos Almarro use them as well and seems have the best bass authority with K1000 to. It was also with GS1000 when I used them throug ZD, bass was amazing.
Would be interesting to read more about differ recording levels, good&bad, how would K1k react then, through ZDT. Also some sources change and tube rolling, if possible of course....

THX

Jul 13, 2009 at 8:40 AM Post #8 of 77
Really nice write-up!
smile.gif

Congratulations with the Zana Deux, and pleased to hear that you find it a great match for the K1000.

Jul 13, 2009 at 7:00 PM Post #9 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackmore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for your impressions and no wonder that K1000 have great bass, its those Russian tubes that make them sound like this, I believe, cos Almarro use them as well and seems have the best bass authority with K1000 to. It was also with GS1000 when I used them throug ZD, bass was amazing.
Would be interesting to read more about differ recording levels, good&bad, how would K1k react then, through ZDT. Also some sources change and tube rolling, if possible of course....

THX

I have an early serial number K1000 (#1378) which has always had good bass presence, it just was not fast or controlled like it is now.

In place of the stock Mullard re-issue 12AX7, I have a nice GE grey plate 5751 and black plate 5751 that I plan to try, and a NOS 12BZ7 from Woo. I might also try my Telefunken smooth plates 12AX7 but I have a matched quad for my GES and don't want to split it up. I also have a Tung Sol 5751 on the way right now. Blutarsky has some spare 6C33C tubes he might sell me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by some1x
Congrats on the ZDT Would you estimate how heavy it is? I am interested in getting one but its size and weight are holding me back.

I think I read somewhere that the amp is about 22 lbs, but I don't know if that includes the PSU. So, that means it may be over 30-35 lbs with the crate for shipping.

Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Really nice write-up!
smile.gif

Congratulations with the Zana Deux, and pleased to hear that you find it a great match for the K1000.

Thanks and you're welcome!

Jul 16, 2009 at 6:37 AM Post #10 of 77
I switched to the GE grey plate 5751 tube in place of the stock re-issue Mullard 12AX7, and it seems a bit more detailed and richer (less dry) sounding than the Mullard. I will spend more time with it before I try the GE black plate or my Tung Sol 5751.

I have used the HD800 on both the ZDT and the Woo WA22 that I have on loan for the Colorado head-fi meet on the 25th, and both of these have a superior soundstage to my maxed WA6 with upgrades and better tubes or my Single Power Square Wave XL balanced amp (SS). The ZDT and both Woo amps are transformer coupled output tube amps.

The WA22 and ZDT have serious power output, and with HD800 listening is typically about 9-10 o'clock on the Woo and 10-11 o'clock on the ZDT, and both can play cleanly louder than I can tolerate. Channel separation is great, and soundstage and imaging are stupendous, only beat by my K1000. Detail, speed and transparency seem better with the HD800 than my K1000 on these two balanced amps. I honestly can't pick one amp over the other, except with K1000 the ZDT does a bit better. The WA22 is still better with K1000 than my WA6 or Sq Wave with K1000 by a large degree, but just not as dynamic and rich as they are with the ZDT.

Jul 17, 2009 at 2:24 AM Post #11 of 77
At the risk of sounding like a moron, can someone describe how the ZDT compares to the regular ZD in regards to sound (for single ended). I know one is SET and one OTL, but as someone with little tube knowledge I'm not sure what to make of that. My understanding of SET amps is they work better with a wide variety of impedance headphones. For that reason I was considering the ZDT over the ZD (which I've heard and really like).

Jul 17, 2009 at 5:59 AM Post #12 of 77
I thought SET was Single Ended Triode, and that an amp is still a SET regardless of whether it has a transformer coupled output or OTL? I could be wrong. The ZD and ZDT don't sound hugely different, and I also thought the ZD still did well with 32 ohm Grados and 300 ohm Sennheiser. I have not been able to directly compare the two, but Blutarsky has both (unless the ZD finally sold) and he might be able to answer that better. With the ZDT I have not seen a need to have a high and low impedance switch like my WA6 or the WA22 prototype that I have here for next week's Colorado meet.

Jul 17, 2009 at 2:34 PM Post #13 of 77
I didn't know the Woo22 could drive the K1000 (it was one of the first things I asked Woo about, and they said the Woo6SE would be better). How much headroom do you think the Woo22 has when driving the K1000?

Jul 17, 2009 at 5:53 PM Post #14 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by some1x /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I didn't know the Woo22 could drive the K1000 (it was one of the first things I asked Woo about, and they said the Woo6SE would be better). How much headroom do you think the Woo22 has when driving the K1000?

The WA22 would not be my choice to drive the K1000, but it does a similar job to my inexpensive 5-8 watt speaker amps that also beat the WA6 and Sq Wave. The ZDT with K1000 is a bit better, as I said before. It's not just a power issue, but one of making them sound right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back