Eddie Current Studio 300B... The Thread.
Jun 19, 2023 at 8:57 PM Post #91 of 98
I have not encountered the sibilance but I do not have experience with the EMLs. If you are particularly sensitive to the timbral accuracy of female vocals, my suggestion would be to acquire the WEs. I listen to a lot of female vocal jazz and blues (Ella, Billie, etc.) and the WEs just excel at that. As to the edginess (possible dryness?), my experimentation has lead me to roll in rectifiers with more v drop (e.g. 5R4GY) to bend the EC just slightly more toward a slightly more traditionally “tubey” sound (a bit more reverb). As for inputs, I also use a WE 2C51 and again got more noticeable sonic change via the rectifier swap.
Which 5R4GY rectifiers have you tried? The Brimar (British) tend to have a slightly warmer signature than the array of tubes from the US From what I have read. Any experience w 5Y3GT rectifier tubes? Thanks…

Jun 19, 2023 at 9:08 PM Post #92 of 98
Which 5R4GY rectifiers have you tried? The Brimar (British) tend to have a slightly warmer signature than the array of tubes from the US From what I have read. Any experience w 5Y3GT rectifier tubes? Thanks…
My favorite 5R4GY is a 1940s RCA JAN CRC-5R4GY dark brown base, double D bottom getters. In 5Y3GT, I’ve tried Sylvania / Philips JAN-5Y3WGTAs.

Jun 19, 2023 at 10:43 PM Post #94 of 98
Any thoughts on how the 5Y3GT compares to the 5R4GY?
Both the 5Y3GT and the 5R4GY certainly steer the amp slightly from the very SS sound you can get with, for example, a 5AR4/GZ34. For my tastes, I prefer the 5R4GY as its additional “tubey” reverb character (while still subtle) is more noticeable. I’d swear it sounds “thicker”.

Jun 20, 2023 at 4:38 PM Post #95 of 98
The traffic on this thread has been low but I wanted to pose a question and hope for some assistance. I obtained one of Craig’s last Studio B amps and have had what I hope is a minor issue with the SE/Balanced switch that I have yet to discuss with Craig, but a question about a struggle with female vocals that may be both a personal sensitivity combined with a trait of the Studio B. I am not a reviewer so pardon my use of descriptors but I have struggled with a bit of edginess, or borderline sibilance with female vocals. I was running Emission Labs 300 Mesh with Amperex GZ34 and WE 2C51 tubes. This edginess was noted in some instrumentals in the same frequency range but most notable with female vocals. When I switched back to tubes supplied by Craig, Sovtek 5AR4 and what I think is a GE 5670, this sibilance seems reduced but is still present. I assume tube selection is going to fix this but wonder if this is something inherent I the tuning of the amp as well? Suggestions about solving this would be appreciated. Wondering about swapping to WE 300B or Elrog ER, as well as maybe trying out something like a Brimar or Fivre 5R4GY? Thanks for any guidance…

I could confirm this is 100% the from your EML 300B. The rectifier roll might help a bit, but problem comes from the 300B.
I have been using Gold Lion PX300B and the sound is warm and sweet, slightly tubey. replaced with EML and the sound is exactly what you described.
The EML is definitely not a bad tube, I can hear improvement in the extensions and soundstage over the Gold Lions, but the sound is just not as enjoyable. I tried to use 5Y3 instead of the Mullard GZ34 but it muffed up the entire sound and transient is lost. I found the Golden Lion + Mullard is a overall better sounding combo costing only half the EML.
My suggestion is to fix the issue from the source, i.e. your 300B.
Elrog signature is somewhat similar to EML. you will probably like WE better.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2023 at 8:36 PM Post #96 of 98
I could confirm this is 100% the from your EML 300B. The rectifier roll might help a bit, but problem comes from the 300B.
I have been using Gold Lion PX300B and the sound is warm and sweet, slightly tubey. replaced with EML and the sound is exactly what you described.
The EML is definitely not a bad tube, I can hear improvement in the extensions and soundstage over the Gold Lions, but the sound is just not as enjoyable. I tried to use 5Y3 instead of the Mullard GZ34 but it muffed up the entire sound and transient is lost. I found the Golden Lion + Mullard is a overall better sounding combo costing only half the EML.
My suggestion is to fix the issue from the source, i.e. your 300B.
Elrog signature is somewhat similar to EML. you will probably like WE better.
Thanks for your response and happy to find someone that has had similar experience with the EML’s. I enjoy the EML overall and for most music it sounds great. Obviously have nothing to compare to yet. I have the WE on order and will try the RCA Jan CRC 5R4GY per Ardbeg 1975’s advice. I appreciate the guidance! I have not had great luck with Craig regarding a question I had about the SE/Balanced switch function. He was actually kind of dismissive. Judi was great during the ordering process and couldn’t have been more helpful.

Jul 19, 2023 at 2:05 AM Post #97 of 98
If anyone interested in buying these tubes for the Studio B to roll may PM me.

Gold Lion 300B Pair
WE 396a
Mullard 5AR4 (branded EICO)
JAN 5R4GY 1950

All purchased fairly recently this year, and were all NOS(Except for the Gold Lion obviously), less than 100 hours of use
Also measured very well and balanced, I pick the best measured one I could find from various sources.
Will give you a good price taking them all.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back