Eddie Current Studio 300B... The Thread.
Apr 8, 2023 at 3:38 PM Post #47 of 98
By any chance someone knows what are the differences between Balancing Act and Studio B???
I’m no EC product history expert, but biggest differences I’m finding upon cursory investigation are 1) BA supports balanced input, 2) BA has dual transformers and thus dual rectifiers, 3) I see no reference to tertiary feedback in the BA descriptions, 4) SB looks to output slightly more wattage into various headphone impedances.

Apr 8, 2023 at 4:40 PM Post #48 of 98
I’m no EC product history expert, but biggest differences I’m finding upon cursory investigation are 1) BA supports balanced input, 2) BA has dual transformers and thus dual rectifiers, 3) I see no reference to tertiary feedback in the BA descriptions, 4) SB looks to output slightly more wattage into various headphone impedances.
Thanks! i tried to search more info related to the topic and thats only i could find on
https://www.superbestaudiofriends.org/index.php?threads/oh-sh-7-eddie-current-studio-b.9761/page-3

"OG Balancing Act -vs- Studio B (some are educated guess or estimates)

Different output transformers
  • ElectraPrint OPTs 5k to 16 -vs- Custom 3.5k? to 4/8 with tertiary winding
  • No feedback -vs- feedback (< 2db) via tertiary winding
  • KR PX4 / 300B -vs- 300B only
  • Studio B is more optimized for 300B operation and will power efficient speakers down to 4-ohms
  • OG BA was headout and balanced lineout only. (the phono was passthru)
Different PS
  • Small preamp rectifiers -vs- 5AR4
  • 250V -vs- 300V plate
  • Filament voltage adjust (between 0V and 5V) with sexy meter -vs- none (obviously)
  • No choke PS -vs- with choke: CLC
  • Big PCB for high-frequency heater inside the PS -vs- small chip amp heater board and oscillator inside amp chassis
  • x2 donuts power transformer (B+ and filament) -vs- x1 EI with two secondary windings
  • Slightly more power for Studio B
Other stuff
  • 6SN7 -vs- WE396a
  • Line out (XLR) -vs- speaker (Speakon) outputs
  • Headphone amp less gain -vs- efficient speaker amp with more gain
  • Cinemag CLMI15 transformers for XLR input -vs- SE input only."

Apr 8, 2023 at 4:52 PM Post #49 of 98
Thanks! i tried to search more info related to the topic and thats only i could find on
https://www.superbestaudiofriends.org/index.php?threads/oh-sh-7-eddie-current-studio-b.9761/page-3

"OG Balancing Act -vs- Studio B (some are educated guess or estimates)

Different output transformers
  • ElectraPrint OPTs 5k to 16 -vs- Custom 3.5k? to 4/8 with tertiary winding
  • No feedback -vs- feedback (< 2db) via tertiary winding
  • KR PX4 / 300B -vs- 300B only
  • Studio B is more optimized for 300B operation and will power efficient speakers down to 4-ohms
  • OG BA was headout and balanced lineout only. (the phono was passthru)
Different PS
  • Small preamp rectifiers -vs- 5AR4
  • 250V -vs- 300V plate
  • Filament voltage adjust (between 0V and 5V) with sexy meter -vs- none (obviously)
  • No choke PS -vs- with choke: CLC
  • Big PCB for high-frequency heater inside the PS -vs- small chip amp heater board and oscillator inside amp chassis
  • x2 donuts power transformer (B+ and filament) -vs- x1 EI with two secondary windings
  • Slightly more power for Studio B
Other stuff
  • 6SN7 -vs- WE396a
  • Line out (XLR) -vs- speaker (Speakon) outputs
  • Headphone amp less gain -vs- efficient speaker amp with more gain
  • Cinemag CLMI15 transformers for XLR input -vs- SE input only."
Nice breakdown. For completeness, you should add that the Studio B comes in a 2a3 variant so not exclusively 300B but not tube interchangeable either.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2023 at 12:53 PM Post #51 of 98
Sorry to post another, "What's the difference between . . ."

Not a technical question, but rather experiential, but I wonder if anyone could subjectively compare the EC ZDS (or other Zana permutations) to the Studio B. (BobMysterious mentioned previously owning one, but not sure if he's still following the thread.) I'm interested especially in anyone's impressions with either the HD600 or any of the ZMFs. Thanks.

Apr 30, 2023 at 12:52 PM Post #52 of 98
Can anyone comment on any sonic differences with the Studio B switching from the “stock” Sovtek rectifier to a NOS Mullard? I’m running WE 300Bs.

Apr 30, 2023 at 3:15 PM Post #53 of 98
I replaced the Sovtek with a 1957 metal base Philips Miniwatt and my JJ tubes with Elrog 300B. The result was a richer overall tonality, tighter and punchier base response as well as more resolution. However, I think the latter was more likely a result of adding the Elrogs than replacing the rectifier. I didn't spend much time going back and forth after the change as I was very happy with the overall result of changing those tubes, even tough it was an expensive upgrade.

Last edited:
May 1, 2023 at 9:18 AM Post #54 of 98
Not a technical question, but rather experiential, but I wonder if anyone could subjectively compare the EC ZDS (or other Zana permutations) to the Studio B. (BobMysterious mentioned previously owning one, but not sure if he's still following the thread.) I'm interested especially in anyone's impressions with either the HD600 or any of the ZMFs. Thanks.
Very unlikely that you'll get an answer here but here's a comparison I've read a while back. If you're looking to get either one of those amps I think it's probably best to look for other options. There's zero chance you can get a ZDS and chances are you won't be able to get a Studio B as well since EC is pretty much gone at this point. I'd highly recommend moving on to other brands unless you are able to secure a deal secondhand.

May 1, 2023 at 11:54 AM Post #55 of 98
Very unlikely that you'll get an answer here but here's a comparison I've read a while back. If you're looking to get either one of those amps I think it's probably best to look for other options. There's zero chance you can get a ZDS and chances are you won't be able to get a Studio B as well since EC is pretty much gone at this point. I'd highly recommend moving on to other brands unless you are able to secure a deal secondhand.
Bummer. Thanks very much for the info.

May 2, 2023 at 12:44 AM Post #56 of 98
Sorry to post another, "What's the difference between . . ."

I can confirm the difference is pretty much what's described in the post linked by @helljudgement. Even though the Studio B is technically an upgrade, they are on the other side complementary. That's what it makes it difficult for me to sell the ZDS. I am considering it for a while now, but the combination with the HD650 simply lets me enjoy music, without searching for technical finesse of higher end stuff. Might be partially caused by its magical midrange performance.

May 2, 2023 at 3:12 AM Post #57 of 98
Can anyone comment on any sonic differences with the Studio B switching from the “stock” Sovtek rectifier to a NOS Mullard? I’m running WE 300Bs.
I've had a Gold Lion 5AR4 as my rectifier for the past 2 years I've owned my Studio Jr 300B, and I recently swapped it out for an old Sylvania 5V4 rectifier that I had bought initially to roll with. To my surprise, the Sylvania 5V4 sounds fantastic! I'm not sure if it's just with my current power tubes (EML solid plate 300Bs) or if my tastes have changed, but the 5V4 made everything noticeably more holographic, expanded the soundstage, more organic instruments and voices. I was about to sell my Studio Jr actually, but just that simple rectifier swap made such a huge difference.

I realize that has nothing to do with the NOS Mullard (presumably 5AR4) that you asked about, but just wanted to chime in that a rectifier swap made a major impact for me. It may also be a large part due to the differences between a 5AR4 and a 5V4 though (GZ34 vs GZ32). I have a NOS Mullard GZ32 incoming, looking forward to that one!

May 2, 2023 at 9:37 AM Post #58 of 98
Are any further Eddie Current amps planned?

May 2, 2023 at 9:57 AM Post #59 of 98
Are any further Eddie Current amps planned?
His website is still up (likely for warranty contact reasons) but Craig was running low on transformers for his final run of Studio Bs mid last year when I bought one so I have to assume he’s now out of stock and officially retired. But, you can always email Craig or Judi and inquire.

May 2, 2023 at 10:25 AM Post #60 of 98
His website is still up (likely for warranty contact reasons) but Craig was running low on transformers for his final run of Studio Bs mid last year when I bought one so I have to assume he’s now out of stock and officially retired. But, you can always email Craig or Judi and inquire.

Thanks mate, I've sent a message through.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back