Eddie Current, question for owners...
Jun 21, 2012 at 12:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Solude

Headphoneus Supremus
If you had to choose an EC amp as the goto, good for most if not all cans, amp out of the ZDSE, 2A3 or S7... where would you land and why?  I own the Audeze LCD-2/3 and Senn 800 for what its worth.

Jun 21, 2012 at 11:49 PM Post #2 of 9
I can give you only a partial answer, but maybe it will get the ball rolling.

I can comment only on the S7, because I have not heard the others.  I am extremely pleased with how great the HD800 sounds with this amp and the complement of tubes I have on it (Syl 6sn7w as the driver, 4 more of them in the output as well as 2 KenRad 6sn7gt).  Comparing the S7 to my Apache, the S7 gives the bass a lot more oomph, takes the treble down a small notch, and does this while preserving high resolution and great soundstage.  My LCD-2 rev. 1, however, sounds better on the Apache, no doubt because the current combination of tubes on the S7 isn't right for it.  I have been so happy with the S7 and the HD800 that I just haven't gotten around to getting tubes that I expect would work better with the LCD.  Others have reported success with various versions of the LCD.

Because of the differing characteristics of the headphones, it may be that one amp will do it all, but you may need different sets of tubes for each headphone to get maximum performance.

Jun 22, 2012 at 12:25 AM Post #3 of 9
Count me down for the S7.  Great price, performance, tube rolling to match the phone.  I think the S7/2A3 would bring more current to the table for the LCDs and possibly have lower output impedance.  The BA is the most resolving of the bunch (but not by very much at all, scary close) and has immense SS and good depth but a little soft in the imaging and lighter on bass impact.  The BA is great for the HD800 because that's a phone that has great width and resolution so the BA feeds it everything it can use.  Though if one finds the HD800 to image a little soft the BA won't fix that.  Conversely some may feel the BA's spciousness is just what the Audezes ordered.

Jun 24, 2012 at 10:00 AM Post #4 of 9
Quote:
Count me down for the S7.  Great price, performance, tube rolling to match the phone.  I think the S7/2A3 would bring more current to the table for the LCDs and possibly have lower output impedance.  The BA is the most resolving of the bunch (but not by very much at all, scary close) and has immense SS and good depth but a little soft in the imaging and lighter on bass impact.  The BA is great for the HD800 because that's a phone that has great width and resolution so the BA feeds it everything it can use.  Though if one finds the HD800 to image a little soft the BA won't fix that.  Conversely some may feel the BA's spciousness is just what the Audezes ordered.

What makes you believe that the S7 has more current for the LCD than the BA. Looking at the specs on EC homepage the S7 delivers 1.1W into 32 Ohm and the BA 1.5W into the RS1 (which I believe is 32 Ohm)? It seems that the BA has slightly more power into low impedance hps.

Jun 24, 2012 at 12:05 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:
What makes you believe that the S7 has more current for the LCD than the BA. Looking at the specs on EC homepage the S7 delivers 1.1W into 32 Ohm and the BA 1.5W into the RS1 (which I believe is 32 Ohm)? It seems that the BA has slightly more power into low impedance hps.

We're actually going to try to measure this to verify.  It could just be the sense I got from the S7 having half the output impedance of the BA at 2.5 v. 5ohms but we're going to verify that too.  Plus Purrin's is modded for PX25s, not sure if that would matter.

Jun 25, 2012 at 10:51 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

We're actually going to try to measure this to verify.  It could just be the sense I got from the S7 having half the output impedance of the BA at 2.5 v. 5ohms but we're going to verify that too.  Plus Purrin's is modded for PX25s, not sure if that would matter.

That would be nice if you could do that. It would be appreciated if you can share your findings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back