Eddie Current or Singlepower?
Feb 25, 2004 at 5:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

pirate

100+ Head-Fier
*edit*

oops i thought i clicked pm and ended up making a post

in any case did anyone have a chance to compare The Eddie Current amp produced by Craig Uthus with PPX3 by Singlepower. Both $400 tube amps that were named a great value for the price. Any opinions?

Feb 25, 2004 at 12:26 PM Post #2 of 15
Was your PM originally directed at one of the folks at the Moth Mini Meet? The only HD300 in existence was at that meet, although nobody mentioned a comparison with the PPX3. However, I would venture that at least one of them has heard the PPX3 and can offer comparisons.

Personally, I'd like to hear those comparisons, as well, since I'm waiting patiently for March 15 to roll around so that I can order an HD300.

D.

Feb 25, 2004 at 12:54 PM Post #3 of 15
Unfortunately the only amp we compared was the Stealth, and I personally have never heard the PPX3. Hopefully either John_JCB, Ray Samuels, Reynman or Andrew Pielet has had experience with it. Does the PPX3 have multiple inputs? That could be an HD300 advantage. Plans for a full blown Chicago meet are in their infancy so hopefully in a few months they'll be a lot more comparisons.

Feb 27, 2004 at 2:24 PM Post #4 of 15
anyone else who attended the meet want to share their opinion?

Feb 27, 2004 at 3:00 PM Post #5 of 15
Thanks to Ken I got to spend a little time with the HD300 yesterday and after hearing it and all the other amps in the price range(including pre-production and production versions of the PPX3) I can say that the HD300 is the real deal. Niether the PPX3 or HD300 are the last word in ultimate detail but the HD300 has better bass and a much sweeter midrange with excellent seperation of voices and instruments. The percieved "soundstage" of the HD300 is nicer and I think the deeper bass aids low level detail. I would have to hear a production version of the HD300 to make any absolute judgements but so far it's a winner.

Feb 27, 2004 at 10:46 PM Post #7 of 15
wow, then i shall forgo the beautiful cosmetics of the ppx3 and start saving up for the hd300.......

Feb 28, 2004 at 12:46 AM Post #8 of 15
One thing to be aware of Pirate, from what I gather the HD300 is geared more towards high impedance headphones whereas the PPX3 is said to handle both high and low. It may be necessary to get an impedancer or something similar if you go with the HD300 and low impedance cans.

If I'm wrong on this please feel free to correct me.

Feb 28, 2004 at 12:55 AM Post #9 of 15
The HD300 is indeed designed for high impedance phones, but drove the K1000's quite well. This is something you could discuss with Craig. He metioned to me that he could easily assemble an impedancer. He also has an HD25 in the works (25 ohms and up).

Feb 28, 2004 at 8:59 AM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by kentamcolin
He also has an HD25 in the works (25 ohms and up).

Ken,

Has Craig mentioned whether the HD25 will have the same basic specs and pricing as the HD300? Any word on degradation or change in sound quality if using high-impedance headphones with the HD25 (compared to using high-impedance headphones with the HD300)?

D.

Feb 28, 2004 at 9:40 AM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by kentamcolin
The HD300 is indeed designed for high impedance phones, but drove the K1000's quite well. This is something you could discuss with Craig. He metioned to me that he could easily assemble an impedancer. He also has an HD25 in the works (25 ohms and up).

Craig told me the HD25 will be transformer coupled and will cost more around the $500 mark although this price is not confirmed yet.

Feb 28, 2004 at 9:42 AM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by Tuberoller
Thanks to Ken I got to spend a little time with the HD300 yesterday and after hearing it and all the other amps in the price range(including pre-production and production versions of the PPX3) I can say that the HD300 is the real deal. Niether the PPX3 or HD300 are the last word in ultimate detail but the HD300 has better bass and a much sweeter midrange with excellent seperation of voices and instruments. The percieved "soundstage" of the HD300 is nicer and I think the deeper bass aids low level detail. I would have to hear a production version of the HD300 to make any absolute judgements but so far it's a winner.

How would you say it compares to the more expensive MPX3?

Feb 28, 2004 at 6:14 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by Rob N
How would you say it compares to the more expensive MPX3?

This might be an apples and oranges comparison but I love the MPX3 and it is far and away my favorite Singlepower amp. The MPX3 is blessed with my second favorite tube,the wonderful 6SN7 and has nicer detail, great bass extension and definition. The HD300 just can't match that but costs what,half as much? I know the HD600 uses a 6SN7 as well but the MPX3 is a more complete sounding amp to my ears. I spent a lot more time with the MPX3 but I really do like it a lot. I could roll tubes in an MPX3 till I'm blue in the face and never grow tired of it.

Feb 28, 2004 at 8:06 PM Post #14 of 15
Is the Moth amp as 'tubey' sounding as I would say the EMP is,has anyone heard both?

Mar 5, 2004 at 4:44 AM Post #15 of 15
Does anyone know how the Moth amp would compare to say, a Perreaux SHX-1?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back