Eddie Current HD300 and HD25
Nov 12, 2004 at 7:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Xoton

100+ Head-Fier
I saw in a recent thread that the Eddie Current HD300 was considered a great amp for the Senn HD650s, but I can't find much about it on this site.

Looking to answer such questions:

How does it compare to the Gilmore Lite?

Or the SR-71? (which I've noticed at $400, is often lovingly compared to more expensive amps)

And, is the Eddie Current amp line a great match for the ER-4S AND the Senn HD650s?

Nov 13, 2004 at 4:32 AM Post #2 of 9
I can't comment on sound comparison to the other amps you list, but the Eddie Current amps do sound great with Sennheiser HD650's. The EC amps offer great versitality in that they have 3 inputs and can serve as a preamp in your system as well. For me the multiple inputs is important as I use CD, Vinyl and FM on a regular basis. Also, construction and service has always been first rate in my experience.

Nov 13, 2004 at 8:58 AM Post #4 of 9
It's a tube amp so it's probably going to sound tubey compared to the other solid-state stuff mentioned. I think that the primary explanation for this has something to do with the way that tubes distort evenly vs. unevenly with solid-state gear. Maybe someone can clarify this but I definately find tubes to be easier on my ears, generally speaking.

Nov 13, 2004 at 4:29 PM Post #5 of 9
First, I have not heard the sr-71 nor the Ety/ Eddie Current combinations. I owned the hd300 and auditioned the hd25. I liked the hd25 version of the Eddie Current amp better than the hd300 even with the senn 650's. I thought the hd25 had more openess and transparency. I eventually decided there was a sameness and darkness to the hd300's sound, despite much tuberolling, that soon wore on me. I am not sure where I put the gilmore lite in comparison to the hd25. I usually prefer tube amps but I especially liked what the gilmore lite did with the senn 650's.

The lite has a flat soundstage presentation though, which is the amps only noticeable shortcoming from my perspective. So right of the bat, if a sense of space is particularly important TO YOU the hd25 would be better for you. The hd25 is richer sounding too, but not a lot more. Both amps have excellent dynamics. The hd25 has the advantage in features having a preamp output, multiple inputs and the same loop out feature the lite has; but it also costs twice as much.

As you may expect the lite is more neutral with a seamless frequency response that has more apparent extension at the frequency extremes and a powerful bass response. I dont find the lite more transparent but its does sound a little clearer. The lite's treble is very refined and this quality especially endeared the lite with me. Another characteritic of the lite was a definite forwardness in the mids that removed any hint of recessiveness in the 650's midrange. The lite's forwardness gave the 650's a rocking quality I have only heard through my singlepower amps when equipped with the best tubes. However, I listen to mostly rock and electric blues so be aware the senns performance on rock is more important to me in my evaluation. Both amps have seperate power supplies and are very quiet. I give the blackness edge to the gilmore lite, however, even with the std power supply.

If I were going for a headamp only to use with the 650's, the lite is one of the best combinations of performance and value out there. Furthermore, the lite works well with grados and my very similar gilmore v1 is also excellent with beyer dt880's and any other headphones I have tried. If small size for tight placement requirements and portability is a need, again the lite is the clear choice. In addition, an upgrade power supply can be added now or in the future to improve the lite's performance even more.

If I were in need of a preamp or the combination of features the hd25 provides, desired that richer tonal quality of tube sound or desired a more open soundscape I would go for the hd25. The cost is double, but the hd25 is a complete control center as well as an excellent sounding headamp. The only reservation I have with the hd25 is the way the tube sockets are board mounted. I dont like how removing a tube causes so much board flex. For someone like me that likes to tuberoll this was disconcerting. Even with the standoffs there is to much flex for me.

I find both the gilmore lite and the hd25 excellent amps. Take your time examining your own priorities be it sound, features or price. Audition them if you can. IMO, whatever you choose you will be pleased.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 13, 2004 at 5:26 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by phreaknupallnite
I'm also considering a HD-25, but I own grado headphones. I was wondering if anyone has heard or owns (even better) that amp with the grado's?

I have heard the hd25 with grados. I wasnt as impressed with the hd25/ sr-225 combination like I was with the 650's. IMO, a very good inexpensive tube amp for the grados is the Mapetree Ear+. The hd25 sounded good with everything(especially the 650's) but I liked the Ear+ better with my sr-225's. There is a definite synergy between the Ear+ and the grados and they just sound right. For a little more money though I like the ppx3 better yet. The ppx3 rocks as well as the Ear+ but sounds more refined. I am referring to the straight stock ppx3 with 6cg7 tubes; RCA clear tops in my case.

www.mapletreeaudio.com

www.singlepoweraudio.com

Nov 14, 2004 at 4:27 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by phreaknupallnite
I'm also considering a HD-25, but I own grado headphones. I was wondering if anyone has heard or owns (even better) that amp with the grado's?

I liked the combo of my old ms1's and the hd25. I wish I had my ms2's when I had the hd25. To my ears the ms1's came alive with that amp. I almost bought one after I picked up my ms2's. The only reason I didn't is that Craig told me about a prototype amp he built based on 2A3 tubes that he was going to send me to try out. I ended up buying that amp instead. Unlike sacdlover, I preferred the senns with the hd300 but it was a tubier sound than the hd25. The senns were fine with the hd25, I just liked the hd300 better.

Nov 14, 2004 at 4:47 AM Post #9 of 9
As the feedback posted. I own the HD 25 serial #1. I have probably listened to it most. I hold it in high esteam. It is close to the sound of my MPX3. It also seems to work well with a varity of headphones where as the HD 300 favors some and not others. There is a world of difference between the sound of the HD 25 and the HD 300. As I have posted before the HD 300 worked well with old analogue to cd recordings like Lenard Skinard and The Allmand brothers. But detail/technically orienited newer recordings belong to the HD 25. It would be ideal to have both in your keeping to cover all bases. I sold the HD 300, I kept the HD 25. I wish I had Tyrion's 2A3 prototype from EddieCurrent. He made a very smart move. All the EddieCurrent amps are made to "Moth like" standards. The EddieCurrent and all SinglePower's are highly recomended by me.
tongue.gif
280smile.gif
orphsmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back