Eddie Current EC/SS vs DarkVoice 336SE for HD650
May 8, 2010 at 12:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

The Fire Snake

Head-Fier
Which one of these would be the best with the Sennheiser hd650?  What are the pros and cons of each?  Thanks.

May 9, 2010 at 4:10 PM Post #3 of 5

Quote:
I thought the EC/SS is out of stock?

It is, I would be buying it used.  In fact I just bought the Eddie current used a few hours ago :):).  I read good things about it and the way it works with the HD650.

May 9, 2010 at 7:10 PM Post #4 of 5
I have not used the EC/SS with the HD650, but used to own the Eddie Current amp. It is my understanding that it is a dandy power supply for high current/low impedance cans such as Denons and especially Grados - it was made specifically for the RS-1 - and so worry that it will fare less-well with higher impedance models. As you may know, the HD650 is an 'amp-finicky' set of cans that will sound amazing on a very good rig, but also may show the deficiencies in a less-than complimentary one. It is ultimately up to your ears what you eventually think of the pairing, but, yeah... the HD650 is definitely a more fastidious pair of headphones than most, with relatively high impedance requirements. The comparable HD600 is much more forgiving on lower-impedance rigs, as best I recall. 

May 9, 2010 at 10:46 PM Post #5 of 5

Quote:
I have not used the EC/SS with the HD650, but used to own the Eddie Current amp. It is my understanding that it is a dandy power supply for high current/low impedance cans such as Denons and especially Grados - it was made specifically for the RS-1 - and so worry that it will fare less-well with higher impedance models. As you may know, the HD650 is an 'amp-finicky' set of cans that will sound amazing on a very good rig, but also may show the deficiencies in a less-than complimentary one. It is ultimately up to your ears what you eventually think of the pairing, but, yeah... the HD650 is definitely a more fastidious pair of headphones than most, with relatively high impedance requirements. The comparable HD600 is much more forgiving on lower-impedance rigs, as best I recall. 

Thanks for your comments sampson, didn't know this.  I read a bunch of "what amp for my 650" threads and many of them say the eddie current amp is good for them.  I am new to high end headphones and I figured I would start somewhere and so I have decided on the HD650 and Eddie Current setup for now.  I haven't even heard any of the Sennheiser cans, but I wanted to try the 600 and 650.  I am going to try this setup and see if I like it.  If I don't, I will sell it.  There are no stores in my area to hear any good setups.  So my only option at this point is to buy a bunch of gear and audition it myself and keep what I like.  What do you like with the HD650?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back