Eddie Current DIY amplifier "Monolith"
Sep 19, 2013 at 6:21 PM Post #122 of 172
you have to look at the percentage regulation, and whether you are measuring rms or peak voltage at the secondary.  Are you measuring the voltage under load, or just by hooking up the transformer with nothing connected to the secondary?

Sep 23, 2013 at 12:31 AM Post #127 of 172
I was contenplating building this or a Beta 22.  I will be powering LCD3's with it. Has anyone done a comparison by any chance between the two amps.  What is turning me toward the B22 more is the discrete design vs using opamps.  

Sep 23, 2013 at 1:27 AM Post #129 of 172
Sep 23, 2013 at 7:19 AM Post #130 of 172
Sounds crap off the B22. B22 + high z headphones is a better match. Although it isn't a problem with the amp delivering inadequate loads just that it doesn't sound delivering it.

Sep 25, 2013 at 10:24 AM Post #132 of 172
I finished everything but putting it in a chassis. I lost interest as I didn't keep any balanced dynamic headphones and had a bunch of other projects.  I've recently grabbed some so I'll have to dig the boards back out and put them into a case.  I've still got one to use that I had originally marked for the project.

Sep 25, 2013 at 10:27 PM Post #133 of 172
Debating between this and crack. I have T1's so I know crack would be better match, and I do want an OTL amp, but this just has a certain appeal. How much does everything on BOM cost, including boards. I can do the casework at school for free so that's not an issue. :)

So if anyone has total pricing please post :D

Sep 25, 2013 at 11:44 PM Post #135 of 172
Debating between this and crack. I have T1's so I know crack would be better match, and I do want an OTL amp, but this just has a certain appeal. How much does everything on BOM cost, including boards. I can do the casework at school for free so that's not an issue. :)

So if anyone has total pricing please post :D

I know you know this, but the Crack is a perfect match to the T1s (even better with the HD800s, but I won't get into the T1 vs. HD800 comparison), whereas the DIY community doesn't really think much of the "Monolith", which was almost created as something of a practical joke. Build what you want, of course, but...

:rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back