Eddie Current DIY amplifier "Monolith"
Jun 18, 2013 at 3:59 PM Post #92 of 172
The correct transformers arrived yesterday and I got them into the amp tonight.  Whoa, what a difference.  I'm not sure I'd even recommend building this amp cap coupled.  Much, much better now... 

Time to start fitting everything into a chassis.

Jun 19, 2013 at 8:13 PM Post #95 of 172
Transformers is better sound?
eek.gif

Jun 26, 2013 at 5:34 AM Post #100 of 172
Yes, polarity definitely matters on those.  I used a tester and confirmed the pins.  I made sure that the emitter pin was towards R7/R8 appropriately.  it's also important to get the right one on each side, Q1 is NPN and Q2 is PNP.

If you can't confirm the pins on the component you can likely cheat a little using this picture.  The heat sinks clip to metal side of the component.  You can see how they will get aligned in the photo. 

Jun 29, 2013 at 11:31 PM Post #101 of 172
Just out of curiosity can you wire this amp to be balanced or not balanced input and balanced or not balanced output with the transformers in? I talked to Craig and I know that I can do balanced or not for the input but will it cause a problem on the output if I just plug in a regular old not balanced pair of headphones to the R+ and L+ and leave the R- and L- untouched? 

Jun 30, 2013 at 12:50 PM Post #103 of 172
Quote:
Just out of curiosity can you wire this amp to be balanced or not balanced input and balanced or not balanced output with the transformers in? I talked to Craig and I know that I can do balanced or not for the input but will it cause a problem on the output if I just plug in a regular old not balanced pair of headphones to the R+ and L+ and leave the R- and L- untouched? 

It's fine.  Do note, you must use the transformer input if your source is single ended.  The volume control relies on a differential input.  You could also use R- and L- for a phase inverted output, it could be interesting to listen to it.  Also, note this on his page.

Quote:

-- The amplifier will drive headphones balanced, or single ended

Jun 30, 2013 at 1:35 PM Post #104 of 172
Quote:

It's fine.  Do note, you must use the transformer input if your source is single ended.  The volume control relies on a differential input.  You could also use R- and L- for a phase inverted output, it could be interesting to listen to it.  Also, note this on his page.

That's an interesting idea. I bought 2 neutrik combo jack for output (3pin XLR/ 6.5mm TRS).
So I could have 2 single end output with inverted phase, and a balanced output too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back