Eddie Current Balancing Act
Jul 20, 2009 at 5:43 AM Post #107 of 1,499
Shrug he has the first 4 from the assembly house I believe at his house and is probably doing final testing/packing or whatever he has to do prior to getting them sent. So soon?

Jul 20, 2009 at 6:32 AM Post #109 of 1,499
Quote:

Originally Posted by atothex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Curious that the ZDT is out, but this isn't. My only guess would be that he considers this a real statement product, so he wants to make the best thing that he can make at this point in time?

That sounds about right. Plus the ZDT is derived from the Zana Deux, so I'm assuming less work was required versus the Balancing Act.

Jul 20, 2009 at 6:40 AM Post #110 of 1,499
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lamenthe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Plus the ZDT is derived from the Zana Deux.

Actually, it's derived from the Nautilus. I think the BA came from the HD2? I'm not sure which came first between those, though.

Jul 21, 2009 at 4:40 AM Post #113 of 1,499
Quote:

Originally Posted by NWRain /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The website says that it is limited edition. How limited is it?

I believe the first ten units are "limited edition". Craig says that later units will not have the "pins" and instead be laser etched. Also, the slot which separates the slanted faceplate from the top will be one piece. This will in no way be a "cheaper" chassis. It is virtually the same build quality- just minus those two differences.

Jul 21, 2009 at 5:05 AM Post #114 of 1,499
Yeah, think this build definitely turned out to be more work than he thought.
But I have to say that each improvement in the prototype has been worth it, whether it's been the power supply or the partial silver transformers.
I've been lucky enough to hear it now and then as I often visit LA for work and he lives pretty close to my parents.
It is definitely worth the wait which is why, though impatient as everyone else, I am sorta ok with it.
To me, it is definitely a statement product and favor it over the ZD/ZDT which I also got to briefly demo.

Jul 21, 2009 at 3:05 PM Post #115 of 1,499
Quote:

Originally Posted by atothex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually, it's derived from the Nautilus. I think the BA came from the HD2? I'm not sure which came first between those, though.

Actually It's something like Nautilus < ZDT < HD2.. they are all very similar amps aka transformer coupled 6c33 amps (HD2 is basically ZDT with a few more options and Tango transformers though I forget if it has speaker taps).

The Balancing Act is different from all those and the Zana Deux.

Jul 21, 2009 at 3:49 PM Post #116 of 1,499
I know the BA is engineered to surpass both the ZD and ZDT, but did you get to A/B the ZDT with the partial silver vs copper transformers? My only reference is that the ZDT PS is surpassing my ZD even single ended to single ended and outside of any topology preference - and I'm wondering how much of that should be attributed to the partial silver transformers.

The soundstage was wide and deep on my ZD (#18), but it's more pinpoint accurate on the ZDT. Maybe because the ZDT is showcasing an increased rendering of detail and superior texture - and the ZD was strong in those areas. High impedance phones are a little closer between the two and I'm generally low on phones so no sweeping generalizations but so far the differences are not subtle. If I still had the GS-1000 and K701 I might be able to offer an low impedance evaluation instead of an impression, but the D5000's became amazing and the ZDT turned them into keepers.

Jul 21, 2009 at 8:07 PM Post #119 of 1,499
Quote:

Originally Posted by foo_me /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think Craig has offered the partial silvers on the ZDT.
Not sure if even Craig has tested it.
AFAIK, it's only been offered as an option for the BA.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jarmel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
He did offer it for the ZDT but it was like 200 extra.

I almost went for the Tango transformers option, which could allow me to support a 4 ohm load on the speaker taps, but it was over $500 more. The stock Electraprint transformers are very nice already. I didn't know partial silvers were an option, or whether they were any better. The HD2 is similar to ZDT except for the lack of input transformers on the ZDT, but I already have a Jensen Transformers XLR > RCA input transformer box.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back