Eddie Current Balancing Act
May 3, 2014 at 5:28 PM Post #1,306 of 1,499

...the 4-45 is still a notch behind the best solid-state amps for ortho driver control. 

I find this strange:  what is the point of the 4-45 having extra power (vs BA) if it not to also drive  « power hungry » headphones… like orthos ?

May 3, 2014 at 5:32 PM Post #1,307 of 1,499
Marv,

Can you compare the 445 with the Dynahi for some harder to drive cans (orthos particularly). Much as I love my BA and it with the Lampizator really is head and shoulders better than anything else I've heard with the HD800. However, the Dynahi just does well with everything reducing the BA to a bit of a one trick HD800 pony. Even the AD2000 I prefer with the Zana Deux. Does the 445 effectively replace the need for two amps like the D-Hi and BA?

you have a Lampizator :)  This is one of the DAC that I have in my radar !  Which level do you have ?  

but since the Lampi is a TUBE DAC, I as concern that TUBE DAC + TUBE AMP may be "too tubey sound" ;  -> don't you experience a "too soft sound" with the BA + Lampi ? 

May 3, 2014 at 7:21 PM Post #1,308 of 1,499

I find this strange:  what is the point of the 4-45 having extra power (vs BA) if it not to also drive  « power hungry » headphones… like orthos ?

That was certainly a design consideration of the 2A3mk4 and 4-45: better performance with orthos. Still, the 4-45 is less powerful (it's still a few watts) and has higher output impedance than some of those monster solid-state amps. With traditional dynamic headphones, especially those with higher nominal impedance, it's hands down 4-45. With orthos, it can still go either way between full tubes or solid-state (or hybrid with solid-state output stage) with each bringing something different to the table. However, the 4-45 does sort of swing things more in favor of tubes, at least on an overall basis, this according to my preferences.

The difference between the 4-45 production and the 445 proto are the transformers. The proto uses Lundahl OPTs. The production uses custom Cinemags. The production 4-45 is better sounding.

May 4, 2014 at 5:58 AM Post #1,309 of 1,499

That was certainly a design consideration of the 2A3mk4 and 4-45: better performance with orthos. Still, the 4-45 is less powerful (it's still a few watts) and has higher output impedance than some of those monster solid-state amps. With traditional dynamic headphones, especially those with higher nominal impedance, it's hands down 4-45. With orthos, it can still go either way between full tubes or solid-state (or hybrid with solid-state output stage) with each bringing something different to the table. However, the 4-45 does sort of swing things more in favor of tubes, at least on an overall basis, this according to my preferences.

The difference between the 4-45 production and the 445 proto are the transformers. The proto uses Lundahl OPTs. The production uses custom Cinemags. The production 4-45 is better sounding.

Well, thanks Purrin, now I am convinced, and... I just sent to Cutrus my order form for a 4-45 "in a BA case"  
biggrin.gif

But, with "higher output impedance than some of those monster solid-state amps" as you said, is the 4-45 still Super-OK with some very low impedance (around 25 ohms) headphones like the Fostex TH-900 for example ? 

--> Please, could you provide me ( PM if you prefer) with a list of very few headphone that you believe are particularly good with the 4-45 ? Headphones which offer exceptional synergy with the 4-45.
( I have already a  TH-900; an AlphaDOG and a Roxane IEM, and now I want to get a fully-open cam: I am considering the LCD-X that is said to pair very well with my Chord HUGO Portable DAC/AMP.)

thanks

My precious: 

May 4, 2014 at 9:18 AM Post #1,310 of 1,499
you have a Lampizator :)  This is one of the DAC that I have in my radar !  Which level do you have ?  

but since the Lampi is a TUBE DAC, I as concern that TUBE DAC + TUBE AMP may be "too tubey sound" ;  -> don't you experience a "too soft sound" with the BA + Lampi ? 

I have the Lampi 4.5, but I run it with an Offramp 5, which makes for a less "tubey" sound. It works beautifully with the BA + HD800. For other headphones I generally prefer the Dynahi (LCD 3, T1) and the AD2000 has some kind of synergistic magic going with the Zana Deux. Besides, I don't consider any of the EC's I've heard to have a very tubey sound, quite a bit from it and the BA is no exception.

May 4, 2014 at 9:54 AM Post #1,311 of 1,499
I have the Lampi 4.5, but I run it with an Offramp 5, which makes for a less "tubey" sound. It works beautifully with the BA + HD800. For other headphones I generally prefer the Dynahi (LCD 3, T1) and the AD2000 has some kind of synergistic magic going with the Zana Deux. Besides, I don't consider any of the EC's I've heard to have a very tubey sound, quite a bit from it and the BA is no exception.

thanks for the answer.  Could you please explain what is an "Offramp 5" ?

I am considering pairing a Lampizator level 5 with the new AC 4-45.   I hope it will be "universal" enough so that I do not need several Headphone amps depending on the Headphone used !  (I have TH900, AlphaDOG, and I need a fully open headphone : I consider the LCD X ) 

May 4, 2014 at 1:34 PM Post #1,313 of 1,499

--> Please, could you provide me ( PM if you prefer) with a list of very few headphone that you believe are particularly good with the 4-45 ? Headphones which offer exceptional synergy with the 4-45.
( I have already a  TH-900; an AlphaDOG and a Roxane IEM, and now I want to get a fully-open cam: I am considering the LCD-X that is said to pair very well with my Chord HUGO Portable DAC/AMP.)

In addition to the TH-900 and Alpha Dog you already have, consider HD800, Abyss, Audezes, etc. Even the AD2000 and HD600 (yes, the HD600 still scales). Grado (if you are so inclined). Basically the usual suspects. I've been pretty pleased with whatever I've thrown at it.

May 4, 2014 at 1:36 PM Post #1,314 of 1,499
  Could you please explain what is an "Offramp 5" ?

The Offramp 5 is a USB to SPDIF converter made by Empirical Audio.  If you are using a computer as your source and your DAC does not have a USB input (or its USB input does not sound very good), the Offramp 5 is inserted between your computer and your DAC and reclocks the USB output from your computer and sends it out as a low jitter digital signal to your DAC, typically in S/PDIF format.  (It can also send out the signal in other formats, like I2S via HDMI, but that is only relevant if you have a PS Audio Perfect Wave DAC.)  The Offramp 5 seems to be the most popular USB to SPDIF converter on Head-Fi, although there are many other such converters on the market at other price points, most somewhat lower, a few higher.

May 4, 2014 at 2:41 PM Post #1,316 of 1,499
thanks for the answer.  Could you please explain what is an "Offramp 5" ?

I am considering pairing a Lampizator level 5 with the new AC 4-45.   I hope it will be "universal" enough so that I do not need several Headphone amps depending on the Headphone used !  (I have TH900, AlphaDOG, and I need a fully open headphone : I consider the LCD X ) 

While the Dynahi and Beta 22 are the only "universal amps" I own or consider universal, the 445 sounds like the ticket. The BA unfortunately cannot "grab and control" an ortho like a powerful SS amp, nor does it do much of anything for the HE6.

May 5, 2014 at 9:05 AM Post #1,319 of 1,499
May 5, 2014 at 2:14 PM Post #1,320 of 1,499
How do you like it so far?

I just got it on Saturday.  It is very nice, but it is brand new and it has very stiff competition, as the amp right below it on my equipment rack is the Apex Teton.  I am wary of comparing the two amps just yet (if ever).  I will say that the 4-45 works perfectly with low impedance headphones.  I tried my JH Roxannes with the 4-45 and was very impressed -- absolutely zero noise, zero channel imbalance, and suitably low gain to allow me to turn the volume pot past 9:00 before the music starts to gets too loud.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back