Eddie Current Balancing Act
Apr 28, 2016 at 10:00 AM Post #1,456 of 1,499
  Hi,

Thanks for your message. I am definitely interested. How much for a pair?

I have lots of rectifier tubes for the WA5 LE that I sold, but never had an amp that used 6X4's. 

Thanks a lot.

Regards,
Ken

PM sent   
wink.gif

May 3, 2016 at 2:18 PM Post #1,457 of 1,499
Hi there, I need some help for a friend.
Today, after 2 hours of listening, suddenly a problem appears on his BA

- voltage shut down to 2.5volts instead of 5volts
- the 2 power tubes Kr 300bxls ligt off and become cold
- the 6SN7 preamp is still normally hot
- the 6x4 in power supply are both light on

It's the same with another pair of 300, exactly same problem. Someone know what happen ?
thanks to you all.

May 3, 2016 at 2:37 PM Post #1,458 of 1,499

It's the same with another pair of 300, exactly same problem. Someone know what happen ?
thanks to you all.

I would email Craig and ask him.

Aug 14, 2016 at 10:12 AM Post #1,460 of 1,499

thanks to you all.

Did you get an answer from Craig to your friend's problem?

Aug 14, 2016 at 9:58 PM Post #1,462 of 1,499
EML 300BXLS work in BA. 

Today I had a little trouble setting up my EC 445.  The umbilical cable didn't connect completely.  The light and driver tubes were illuminated but output tubes were cold, and no sound.  I carefully reset the umbilical connectors and it worked  . . . . whew . . .

Worth checking umbilical connections especially if they've been removed recently. 

Aug 15, 2016 at 5:35 AM Post #1,463 of 1,499

Did you get an answer from Craig to your friend's problem?

Yes I did. BA works fine actually but with Kr 300B, not XLS.
After few mails and tests with Craig, it appears that maybe the 300B XLS made by kr don't work fine. The problem (maybe) was a thermal contact issue with the output transistors. They are clamped to the bottom plate if one of the four transistors is not tight, or does not have enough heat sink grease it may be thermaling out causing a drop in power. And the Kr 300B XLS need  1.8A filament current and the BA was designed for 1.25A filament Current : maybe it's to hign currrent for use them with the BA for long hours of listening and make warm up too hign the power supply unit
It's only a supposition, after make warm down, BA come to alive and my friend use some Kr 300B normal version with no problem for long hours.
Also, note that Kr 300B Xls isn't made to replace standard 300B, electrical characteristics are too different, EML 300B xls are designed to replace all standard 300B, it's noticed on eml site (and note on Kr Audio site). EML need 1.6A filament current 300B XLS (1.2 for a standard 300B).

i hope you'll understand my translation.

Aug 15, 2016 at 10:21 AM Post #1,466 of 1,499

Yes I did. BA works fine actually but with Kr 300B, not XLS.
After few mails and tests with Craig, it appears that maybe the 300B XLS made by kr don't work fine. The problem (maybe) was a thermal contact issue with the output transistors. They are clamped to the bottom plate if one of the four transistors is not tight, or does not have enough heat sink grease it may be thermaling out causing a drop in power. And the Kr 300B XLS need  1.8A filament current and the BA was designed for 1.25A filament Current : maybe it's to hign currrent for use them with the BA for long hours of listening and make warm up too hign the power supply unit
It's only a supposition, after make warm down, BA come to alive and my friend use some Kr 300B normal version with no problem for long hours.
Also, note that Kr 300B Xls isn't made to replace standard 300B, electrical characteristics are too different, EML 300B xls are designed to replace all standard 300B, it's noticed on eml site (and note on Kr Audio site). EML need 1.6A filament current 300B XLS (1.2 for a standard 300B).

i hope you'll understand my translation.

Thanks for the update. Yes, i can understand what you're saying - don't use KR300B XLS tubes. Hope Takatsuki 300Bs will not be a problem with the BA..

Aug 15, 2016 at 10:50 AM Post #1,469 of 1,499
awesome amp...it's true.
Actually, i use it with Kennerton Odin planar headphone and the result is very brilliant.

Aug 15, 2016 at 10:55 AM Post #1,470 of 1,499
  Yeah, with power to spare. i love the amp! i replaced my WA22 with it and it was head and toes better with the HEK! 

Hmm..thought it would be better matched with higher efficiency planers.

awesome amp...it's true.
Actually, i use it with Kennerton Odin planar headphone and the result is very brilliant.

Don't see much mention of the Odin in these forums..care to share some impressions of this interesting headphone?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back