Eddie current amp question
Mar 25, 2006 at 8:47 AM Post #16 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover
Ask mikey01 to be sure. But I thought that only 5 or so HD25's were ever made. Most of that initial production run were HD300's.

Quote:

Originally Posted by granodemostasa
unless Jude's sold his, i think i've tracked down four of them.... but isn't there more? this was suppose to be one great amp.

Hi sacd lover and granodemostasa:

In post #35 of the amp thread Need opinions on tube amp choices, Mikey01 wrote the following:

Forget the HD25 and the HD300, they are not made anymore. Craig at Eddie Current made a run of 50 of each and they are sold out.

A link to the complete post by Mikey01 in that thread is http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showp...4&postcount=35 .

So I guess this means that there must be some 100 - 4 = 96 other lucky devils out there.
smily_headphones1.gif

Hope this helps.

–Nick

Mar 25, 2006 at 7:09 PM Post #17 of 23
yes, i know this. my basic question is whether i should hunt for a used one (HD25) or get the EC-01 which is still in production....or consider something else.

Mar 25, 2006 at 7:13 PM Post #18 of 23
Now I haven't heard the HD25 or the EC01, but my question would be have you ever heard the HD25? have you heard the EC01? IMO if you've heard the product and you're absolutely sure that you like it then by all means go for it, but until you've heard it, I would possibly be looking at some current production amps.

Mar 25, 2006 at 10:58 PM Post #19 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by granodemostasa
yes, i know this. my basic question is whether i should hunt for a used one (HD25) or get the EC-01 which is still in production....or consider something else.

I suggest you contact Eddie Current (Craig) and ask him what is currently available or what is upcoming. He might have something in the pipeline and could advise how the EC-01/HD-25 stack up against one another. I haven't seen many HD25s on the market maybe one within the last year. So if you want one you could be waiting a long time.

Mar 26, 2006 at 3:07 AM Post #20 of 23
Yes, about 45-50 were made. Some HD 25 boxes, one to three, were hijacked for other projects. I cannot comment on the sound comparison as I have not heard the EC01 yet. Jude did an excellent review on the HD25. I liked mine better than my MPX3. And Mikhail, as we all know, make supper great equiptment.
tongue.gif

Jul 8, 2006 at 1:47 AM Post #21 of 23
considering that the eco1 is 350 and the ec-h is around 850ish, something in the middle would be nice
wink.gif

so far i've looked back and have found more HD300s for sell (historically speaking), does anyone know how the 300 and 25 compare for high impedence cans?

Jul 8, 2006 at 3:12 AM Post #22 of 23
Aside from what comments I will make, here I will not say anymore. Craig said that the HD300 was a more generic simple OTL design, probably available widely on the internet and easily copied. However the HD25 is not an OTL design like the HD300 but it is a Transformer design specifically of Craigs own and much harder to copy. The HD25 also had board pilons to stiffin the board and eliminate the flex problem altogether. I did not care at all for the simple sounding HD300. But the HD25 is sheer Heaven.
wink.gif

Jul 8, 2006 at 3:20 AM Post #23 of 23
If you buy the EC-01 You'll have enough leftover to buy a bottle of Ripple and a blow-up vinal doll.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back