*******ed Shure E2cs
Apr 8, 2007 at 12:50 AM Post #16 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by JXBJXB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Strange. Besides one of my E2C driver enclosures coming apart in halves at one point (just like above poster, superglue fixed that) they've been incredibly durable over three years. I've always kept them in the case. I actually think the thick cable is a strong suit of the design.

The only problem I've had is that I vomited on my original pair and case during a alcohol-hazed evening in Chicago several months ago and had to throw them out and buy another set. Had nothing to do with their sound quality - had everything to do with the amount of Johnnie Black I had consumed over a short period of time.

Yes, I'm serious, and there's a good reason to buy cheap(er) IEMs.
tongue.gif

very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
That imagery should be a reminder to more than a few , of one the god awful consequences of our overindulgence with intoxicants in the proximity of our dearly beloved phones
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
wink.gif

Apr 8, 2007 at 1:19 AM Post #17 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by JXBJXB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Strange. Besides one of my E2C driver enclosures coming apart in halves at one point (just like above poster, superglue fixed that) they've been incredibly durable over three years. I've always kept them in the case. I actually think the thick cable is a strong suit of the design.

tongue.gif

I think it heavily depends on the chemistry of your skin oils and perspiration. My skin oils reacted with the wire, and the cable literally crumbled apart right around the ear loop-around area, that came in contact with my skin. The rubber lost its flexibility and became brittle.

Apr 8, 2007 at 3:21 AM Post #18 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by LeoBloom. /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought that with all the advertising of the durable cables and what not, wrapping the earphones loosely around a player shouldn't destroy them. I don't know how the rest of you manage to take the time to put them in your special cases every time you decide to take them off.

The reality is that the E2c is a rather fragile earphone, despite its rugged appearance. The big problem is the daft vinyl-like stuff that Shure uses on the cables - it's not nearly as resilient as the rubbery coating that most headphone cords have.

I'm surprised that yours are breaking so quickly, though. I certainly did not treat mine very well - shoving them in my pocket, tossing them in the bottom of my bag, wearing them in -30 C weather, etc. - and they lasted about 15 months before developing a crack near the splitter that seemed to have more to do with that little plastic slider digging into the wire than anything else.

Apr 8, 2007 at 3:25 AM Post #19 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trippytiger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The reality is that the E2c is a rather fragile earphone, despite its rugged appearance. The big problem is the daft vinyl-like stuff that Shure uses on the cables - it's not nearly as resilient as the rubbery coating that most headphone cords have.

Do the more expensive models have more resilient wiring?

Apr 8, 2007 at 3:35 AM Post #20 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by FunnyPhunny /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do the more expensive models have more resilient wiring?

I wouldn't know; I only have experience with the E2c.

Apr 8, 2007 at 3:37 AM Post #21 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by qazwsx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's the problem. You shouldn't wrap headphones around your player, you can break the cable very easily.

thanks so much for the advice, i used to wrap earphones to my player. now i'll stop doing that and hope that me doing that did not do damage to my earphones. i'm broke now and i cannot replace them yet hehe!

Apr 8, 2007 at 5:01 AM Post #22 of 24
the e4 cable seems to be more flexible and doesnt get like all hard like the e2 cable. i usually just dump em into the pocket and they dont tangle lol
but yeah i havent looped em around anything as of currently, i did however loop my e2s around my mp3 player quite a few times and it really messed up the wiring inside lol

Apr 9, 2007 at 6:44 PM Post #23 of 24
Ok, so out of this thread, I manged to see about two recommendations: The Audio Technica and the FX33 (which I assume is the JVC marshmallow). I doubt that I'm going to take care of my earphones any better than I do now mainly because I don't feel like carrying the cases and taking the time wrapping it around gently every time someone wants to talk to me. So any final suggestions on extra durability and good sound?

P.S. just thought I'd mention this: two times the shures broke where sound in one of the earphones was getting messed up like water in your ear. The other two times the cable broke apart near my ears but I didn't try super glue or anything and just sent it back to shure for replacements.

Apr 11, 2007 at 9:45 PM Post #24 of 24
I bought the marshmallows and I'm really happy with them. Matter of fact, when I replace the original sleeves with shure sleeves, I can tell no difference between the e2c and the fx33

smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back