ECSS vs Canamp ?
Nov 22, 2009 at 2:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

sizwej

100+ Head-Fier
Ok , after months of "research", i've narrowed my choice for a SS amp down to the Eddie Current ECSS, and the Heed Canamp. Truth be told, i;m still open to the possibilty of going with a tube amp (possibly an entry level Woo).

Of the two SS`amps, which gives me the most options in terms of running them with both low and high impedance cans.anyone have experience with both or a suggestion?

Nov 22, 2009 at 2:19 AM Post #2 of 14
What, no Gilmore Lite love?
wink.gif

Nov 22, 2009 at 2:26 AM Post #3 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by sampson_smith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What, no Gilmore Lite love?
wink.gif

Believe it or not it was an option, but all this talk about unreasonable wait times turned me off. Oh and a recent significant price increase.

Nov 22, 2009 at 2:55 AM Post #4 of 14
Fair enough. You may proceed!
wink.gif

While I haven't heard the two amps above, I was very interested in getting an EC/SS for some time. I'd vote for it based on what I've read, but that wouldn't be fair.

Nov 22, 2009 at 3:05 AM Post #5 of 14
Review of Canamp, ECSS and others here.

There is the Sheer Audio HA006+ which is a dynalo [ie, gilmore lite]. It's only new though and I don't think anyone here has one. I'm thinking of buying one just to hear a basic dynalo.

As for the impedance question, I believe they are on opposite ends of the spectrum. The ECSS was designed for Grados, ie, easy to drive cans in contrast with the high gain Canamp.

Nov 22, 2009 at 5:47 AM Post #6 of 14
I'd go for the EC/SS just because of the company. I've met Eddie Current and he is a really stand up individual. Very kind, and he cares a lot about the amps he makes.

The heed, while it may sound pretty good, don't let anyone who knows anything about amps open it up. A good DIY'er here on the forums made me a clone with better parts, and it cost him very little.

Nov 22, 2009 at 2:53 PM Post #7 of 14
I have had the opportunity to compare both of these side by side. If my main can was an AKG K701 there is no comparison IMO and I would get the Heed CanAmp. With other cans the difference is not as marked and I believe you could go with either and be happy.

Based on pictures I have seen both of this units have evolved and their respective manufacturers have modified them since I compared them. Good luck.

Nov 22, 2009 at 8:46 PM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by MomijiTMO /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Review of Canamp, ECSS and others here.

There is the Sheer Audio HA006+ which is a dynalo [ie, gilmore lite]. It's only new though and I don't think anyone here has one. I'm thinking of buying one just to hear a basic dynalo.

Thanks for that, loads of info to digest in that thread.

That Sheer looks good, if its the same design as a gilmore lite is it reasonable to say they could sound similar?

Nov 22, 2009 at 10:27 PM Post #9 of 14
is money an issue? can you stretch your budget?

ECSS if that's all you can spend

Nov 22, 2009 at 10:55 PM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by chesebert /img/forum/go_quote.gif
is money an issue? can you stretch your budget?

ECSS if that's all you can spend

I didnt want to spend more than $600.What did you have in mind?

Nov 23, 2009 at 12:14 AM Post #11 of 14
M^3 or GS-1 I guess.

It's hard to find an amp that works well with both high/low Z cans under $1k

Nov 23, 2009 at 6:46 AM Post #12 of 14
For K701 Heed CanAmp is a very good solution, though I don't know how it works with other cans. There are also other factors that should be considered, for example as a citizen of the EU I would choose a product made in Europe, while for the OP ECSS would be more politically correct.

Dec 9, 2009 at 6:21 AM Post #13 of 14
Just revisiting this older thread and, now that I have heard and very much appreciate the EC/SS, I've submitted my vote.

Dec 9, 2009 at 6:26 AM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by jcoops16 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for that, loads of info to digest in that thread.

That Sheer looks good, if its the same design as a gilmore lite is it reasonable to say they could sound similar?

That's a pretty nice price for a quasi GLite.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back