ecost and sony mdr v6
Dec 25, 2003 at 9:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

metal_monger

100+ Head-Fier
have any of you confirmed if they ever got these refurbished headphones back in stock? I emailed them to ask when they would get them and they never replied, I jsut did a search for the headhpones on their website and got no hits. Anyone heard anythiung from these people about the v-6?

*btw merry xmas*

Dec 25, 2003 at 9:52 AM Post #2 of 7
My friend just recieved his pair yesterday. Hes was having trouble contacting them as well.

He was telling me that they were on backorder, and then all of a sudden his showed up...

Good luck to you

Dec 25, 2003 at 10:13 AM Post #3 of 7
i got an email today saying my order was canceled because they are out of stock.

oh well... just means i can afford to eat this week
biggrin.gif

Dec 25, 2003 at 10:32 AM Post #4 of 7
i got mine yesterday. but i think i must have bought those almost immediately after the ad was posted on the selling forum. i still had to wait for their backorder too, which surprised me, despite how fast i ordered.

but damn, they're almost like new. i can see some scuffing on some of the plastic... but besides that, they are perfect. leather is flawless, and same with the cups and foam inside. very nice. i never knew too--but i guess the cable is made from litz ofc copper, which it says on the box. interesting.

Dec 25, 2003 at 6:20 PM Post #5 of 7
i got mine, the thing look new. i like the built quality and how its fold. i notice that the earpads and the headband is not comfortable as the ath-m30 ($30 cheaper, as oppose to v6 $80 original price). the two headphones design are much the same. but the ath-m30 is more flimsy, haedband doesnt clamp as hard so isolation not as good, and cant fold, but more comfortable.

the sound is not what i thought, i didnt like it at all.
the headphone is missing in the lowmidrange and high bass area. this is one area the ath-m30 beat it. the bass is very powerful, but thats the problem, its not the type of bass i like, its the low bass, but it sound unreal and pump so hard, i get fatigue from the bass (wth? this have never happen, i have a basshead, how is it even possible). the vocal (mids) is clear, but i wish its more protruding.

when you take off the earpads, you will see the driver being protect by a metal fench, very protective, but i think it is the reason for the very bright treble. brighter than even the grado sr60. the ath-m30 treble is extended like it but not to that point.

the sony v6 beat the ath-m30 in the details area. but the too much of bass and too much treble cause fatiguing, in addition to the analytical sound, make music listening just not enjoyable. but i found it is very good for playing game on computer or watching movie.

the housing for the driver of the ath-m30 and sony v6 is different. for the ath-m30 its bigger and hollow, so that why it gets the recessed laid back sound. but i solved that problem by inserting 35% of asus' motherboard foam in the bottom part. result was no more recessness, bass finally show up, very punchy and clear. the sound improvement was amazing comparing to the un-mod version which i even prefered my px200.

unfortunately i sold it to my friend for $30. my plan is to somehow borrow his ath-m30 and switch its driver with my sony v6, and the earpads too. that will result in a kickass portable isolating music headphone under $100. he'll never know even if the sound change. hopefully i could get a chance to do this.

audiotechnicaathm30.gif

i also think the cable for the ath-m30 is better quality than the v6, not sure about the 7506.

Dec 25, 2003 at 7:08 PM Post #6 of 7
Burn in the V6 for 24 to 48 hours before you make any decisions about them. Mine changed a lot, they smoothed out significantly, somewhere around 20 hours running time.

Dec 25, 2003 at 7:21 PM Post #7 of 7
well, i think the v6 only has medium quality sound. but for some reason, these things rock for monitoring mixes. one time my friend came over to listen to some music i made and i gave him the 7506 (same as v6), he couldn't hear some of the small details of the mix. then i have him the hd600, and he was much happier. however, it's much easier to mix on the 7506 though. i guess the hd600 is too good. you know? same with some of the other good phones. i don't use the v6 or 7506 for listening pleasure... just for work. i bought the extra phone cause they have these things in every major studio, and musicians are used to them. but definitely wouldn't use them for normal listening. but heck, for $50, you can't do much better anyway.

i have my 10 year-old 7506 hooked up permanently to my console... it's the only phone i use to work with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back