Eclectic music taste, first quality headphone buy, gym goer, please help me.
Oct 31, 2014 at 7:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

circulatingone

New Head-Fier
Hello guys and gals,

Long story short, my friend was telling me that my stock earbuds don't cut it. That there are parts of songs I just don't hear with those earbuds (apple). And that I should pick up a couple hundred dollar ones, and listen to music how it's intended. This interests me greatly, but I'm extremely picky. I've been researching for days and can't come to a conclusion or choose "the headphones for me"

I listen to a lot of different music including: 
Classical composers, piano/wind instruments/ symphonies, etc
Hardcore metal like lamb of god, etc.
and silly rap like reggie watts, tyler the creator, and childish gambino.

I live in phoenix az, and bike a lot (sweat+sweat), also go to the gym often.

I'm looking for something that will "let me hear the music I'm supposed to" something that can take my eclectic view of music, no matter what it is, and give me great sound. I like great bass, but also I want to hear snares vividly, etc.

I need to stay under $150.

I've looked at Bose SoundTrue, and JayBird BlueBuds X as my top two contenders but I'm fully open to other recommendations.

Thank you so much for anyone who helps me!

Nov 1, 2014 at 4:35 AM Post #6 of 11
Hi, fellow Arizonian here. I think the earpods are pretty good, and sweat isnt good for an iems life, therefore some kind of a sports headphone will most likely work better. Go for the Blue Buds X, they have a sweat lifetime warranty and sound pretty good, plus you get the benefit of wireless. There are definitely better sounding headphones for the price, but the Bluebuds X will be a significant upgrade to the earpods and you get some very convenient features.

I run a lot, and my personal iem for running are the Senn cx685 which sound good and are sweat and water resistant and cost like $30 or so, huge value. Koss KSC-75 are also great if you dont wanna go the iem route, or of course the porta pros. But if you must spend a lot, then Bluebuds are a good choice.

Nov 1, 2014 at 4:39 AM Post #7 of 11
I listened to the bluebuds today and was not impressed at all. I'm looking for earphones that will open my eyes to music, not just a pretty good headphone with features. I appreciate that feedback tho!

Nov 1, 2014 at 4:54 AM Post #8 of 11
Open your eyes to music? I mean, like i said there are better earphones than the bluebuds for the price but the sweat is a real issue, not sure how comfortable id feel about recommending a Vsonic GR07 Bass Edition or Dunu DN-1000 under such parameters, but if you only care about sound quality and will deal with the rest later then have at it:

Vsonic GR07 BE
Dunu DN-1000
RHA-MA750
Yamaha EPH-100

Nov 1, 2014 at 5:07 AM Post #9 of 11
definitely the GR07s, incredible performance for the price. I use them during workouts, sweat is not a problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back