eClaro on Linux Mint 18.1?
Jan 12, 2017 at 9:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

LC3

New Head-Fier
Does the HT Omega eClaro work on Linux Mint 18.1?  If it does, will Mint's audio drivers pick it up automatically?  This will be in a newly built system, and the sound card will be in place when Mint is installed.  Thanks!

Jan 12, 2017 at 11:04 AM Post #2 of 4
  Does the HT Omega eClaro work on Linux Mint 18.1?  If it does, will Mint's audio drivers pick it up automatically?  This will be in a newly built system, and the sound card will be in place when Mint is installed.  Thanks!

The eClaro uses the C-Media CMI8788 audio processor, which is a fairly common audio processor used for add-on sound cards.
So Linux should be able to work with at least some of the eClaro functions.

Jan 12, 2017 at 8:24 PM Post #3 of 4
Thanks.  I see posts on other forums as recent as a year ago saying they couldn't get the eClaro to work with Linux.  There's an open request on the ALSA support request board that doesn't appear to have any follow-up.

On my current Linux system, my Xonar D1 has been fine.  My new motherboard doesn't have a PCI slot, so I can't reuse the D1.  I'm also considering the STX II, but the eClaro seems to be a direct competitor for about $100 less.  A DX and a Vali 2 is another option whose cost would be halfway between the eClaro and STX II.  I like the idea of a single rotary volume control, so the DX and Vali 2 might be it.

Jan 12, 2017 at 9:24 PM Post #4 of 4
  Thanks.  I see posts on other forums as recent as a year ago saying they couldn't get the eClaro to work with Linux.  There's an open request on the ALSA support request board that doesn't appear to have any follow-up.

On my current Linux system, my Xonar D1 has been fine.  My new motherboard doesn't have a PCI slot, so I can't reuse the D1.  I'm also considering the STX II, but the eClaro seems to be a direct competitor for about $100 less.  A DX and a Vali 2 is another option whose cost would be halfway between the eClaro and STX II.  I like the idea of a single rotary volume control, so the DX and Vali 2 might be it.

The Xonar D1 & DX and STX II and eClaro all use the same C-Media CMI8788 audio processor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back