Echobox Finder X1 review/impressions/discussion thread
Jul 31, 2016 at 4:22 AM Post #736 of 992
i havent try changing tips for the finder x1

Jul 31, 2016 at 8:32 AM Post #737 of 992
update: the x1 sounds best without filters

Jul 31, 2016 at 4:56 PM Post #739 of 992

I believe that will be the same as red filter? If I remember correctly, there is no insert in that filter.

Jul 31, 2016 at 5:20 PM Post #740 of 992
In an effort to try no filters I noticed when I took off my whites the inserts were bunched up with half the tip area bare screen. I used a toothpick and tweezers to try to put the inserts back in place but are concerned with the robustness of the design. I only removed them once before to try the other filters. Not sure if they are seated properly now that they have come halfway loose. Try to lightly pull insert out but other side seemed to be firmly adhered to tip and did not want to risk tearing it.

Jul 31, 2016 at 8:36 PM Post #741 of 992
That's surprising. I would have thought they would be overly bright. I'll give it a try.

Suprisingly it is tamed well.

I believe that will be the same as red filter? If I remember correctly, there is no insert in that filter.
quite different as compared to red filter

Aug 1, 2016 at 12:16 AM Post #742 of 992

No filter at all vs. empty filter can make quite a difference in most cases. When I imported my (new!!!!!!!!!) ATH-IM03 in-ears from Japan, one side didn't have a filter at all (for whatever reason; seems like it fell out during production or who knows why) and sounded off (more forward upper mids and middle highs, diffuse soundstage). Audio Technica's German tw@ts didn't feel like helping me (contacted them, said they'd get back in touch with me, send them the invoice etc., didn't hear back, contacted them again twice, didn't ever hear back from them - seem like they were like "you didn't buy it in Germany [side note: the IM series was never officially sold in the European territory], so we don't give a fu©k about your problem and won't even reply any further as we're not responsible").
Luckily it turned out that the white Etymotic Research filters were the same as the ones used in the IM03 (I have even made frequency response measurements to back this up as I am a 100% no mods person, nonetheless I'd have preferred the German Audio Technica reps to have helped me in the first case), so I ended up spending less than $20 for just a set of new filters instead of importing another IM03 for ~$350 which I would have possibly done.

Anyway, though I haven't tried the Finder X1 without filters yet, empty filters vs. no filters at all can make quite a difference in some cases.

Aug 15, 2016 at 4:50 PM Post #743 of 992
So in the last couple of days, I have been giving the red filter a chance. Back then, my immediate impression is the loss of bass, which I wanted it to be more emphasized. Now that I tried it again, it's actually pretty good and could be my favorite now.

The bass that I initially thought was anemic, is actually not. Perhaps because I used Comply TSX400 this time and that help bringing the low end forward. It doesn't have as much bass as the other filters, but when the track call, it's there. Hitting still as low and deep, but just less pronounced and less obstrusive to other frequency range.

Which brings into a better clarity. The sound is cleaner and clearer, also I found that the transition from midrange to the high is a bit smoother. I think white filter is the more harsh from all 3, they are subtle differences though, but I enjoyed the black better due to this and now I see the red as even better.

Treble extension seems to improve, it sounds a bit more airy. I can't say if soundstage is bigger, but I noticed imaging is improved. I can pinpoint the direction of the sound better than before.

This combo with red filter and Comply TSX400 is now my favorite. :)

Aug 16, 2016 at 5:28 AM Post #744 of 992

I agree!   I ended up punching out the red filter just so I could have the screw cap and resulting lip (to help secure the tip).

Aug 16, 2016 at 6:09 AM Post #745 of 992
trinity audio vyrus has overtaken the finder x1 for me
biggrin.gif

sorry gilly.

Aug 16, 2016 at 1:22 PM Post #750 of 992

Users who are viewing this thread

Back