Echobox Audio LIVE on IndieGoGo!!
Feb 21, 2016 at 6:34 PM Post #290 of 337
Feb 22, 2016 at 2:57 AM Post #292 of 337
Without wishing to derail the thread, MQA smells of DRM to me. It's not initially being released under that guise, but it's a very small step to use the built in authentication for DRM purposes. Anyway, time will tell...

Feb 22, 2016 at 5:58 AM Post #293 of 337
Without wishing to derail the thread, MQA smells of DRM to me. It's not initially being released under that guise, but it's a very small step to use the built in authentication for DRM purposes. Anyway, time will tell...

I can see that being the case. What I really want to see is the ability to convert my library to MQA, without DRM. I want the equivalent of HiRes mp3. If it isn't going that way, I will happily let it play on Tidal, Spotify, Deezer and the like. I don't want to have to rebuy my library, nor should I be expected to.

Feb 25, 2016 at 1:26 PM Post #297 of 337
Hopefully not long for MQA.

Quote:
  I can see that being the case. What I really want to see is the ability to convert my library to MQA, without DRM. I want the equivalent of HiRes mp3. If it isn't going that way, I will happily let it play on Tidal, Spotify, Deezer and the like. I don't want to have to rebuy my library, nor should I be expected to.

I cannot see why DRM would apply to these files, but we should see soon.

From the Meridian website
"MQA is an end-to-end process that starts by capturing every detail and nuance from the original master recording"

I believe encoded at the recording stage so original recordings in ALAC, FLAC and WAV would be encrypted
MQA decoded required or else playback will be at 24/44.1

May not be possible YET to convert to MQA

Mar 3, 2016 at 4:22 PM Post #298 of 337
@Gilly87 

Does the Echobox have ALSA incorporated in the OS?

I'd like to be able to use it with the ALO Continental Dual Mono, which uses ALSA for its DAC. At one point I could connect my android phone to that amp with a OTG cable, but the phone lost that ability somehow.

Mar 3, 2016 at 5:39 PM Post #299 of 337
@Gilly87

Does the Echobox have ALSA incorporated in the OS?

I'd like to be able to use it with the ALO Continental Dual Mono, which uses ALSA for its DAC. At one point I could connect my android phone to that amp with a OTG cable, but the phone lost that ability somehow.

Heya,

The Explorer doesn't currently support OTG; it has a digital coax output, but no USB OTG at the moment.

We're working on getting 5.1 up and running, which may help with OTG support before launch, but I can't make any promises right now.

Mar 3, 2016 at 5:43 PM Post #300 of 337
Heya,

The Explorer doesn't currently support OTG; it has a digital coax output, but no USB OTG at the moment.

We're working on getting 5.1 up and running, which may help with OTG support before launch, but I can't make any promises right now.

Did that reviewer with the pre-production Explorer ever manage to finish their review, @Gilly87? Sure most people are doing to get a hint of what is coming their way in a few months! :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back