Echobox Audio Explorer impressions and discussion thread
Jun 29, 2017 at 9:54 AM Post #136 of 358
Any more news?

Nothing from either DHL or Echobox for me yet.

Jun 29, 2017 at 10:30 AM Post #138 of 358
Nothing here, either.
@makethemusic - can we get an explanation regarding the missing DHL numbers? Did our units actually ship, or are they still at the factory? OR have they yet to be produced?

I'm sure you'll have to contact them privately. They absolutely should know what's going on by now. Maybe another case of not being able to get trustworthy info from their contractors.

Maybe related or maybe not, but at least one person got a wood finish different from what they ordered.

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2017 at 10:34 AM Post #139 of 358
Received my Explorer today (UK). A few initial thoughts...

-- Looks better than in pictures imho & feels pretty good in the hand. The dock is also nicely made.
-- Mine's popping....two pops when skipping to the next track in Tidal, and also when changing sampling rate in UAP.
-- I sideloaded Roon & connected ok, but playback always stalls after a few seconds. Shame because I really wanted to use this with Roon.
-- Sound quality so far seems pretty good with RE800 and RE2000$ iems.

I'm pretty gutted that my Explorer came with a scratch and a nick out of the wood on the back. I'll be getting in touch with Echobox to see if they can redo it.

IMG_7403.jpg

IMG_7405.jpg

On the bright side, the dark walnut matches my Ikea Karlby desk top quite well :)

IMG_7407.jpg

Jun 29, 2017 at 10:39 AM Post #140 of 358
Received my Explorer today (UK). A few initial thoughts...

-- Looks better than in pictures imho & feels pretty good in the hand. The dock is also nicely made.
-- Mine's popping....two pops when skipping to the next track in Tidal, and also when changing sampling rate in UAP.
-- I sideloaded Roon & connected ok, but playback always stalls after a few seconds. Shame because I really wanted to use this with Roon.
-- Sound quality so far seems pretty good with RE800 and RE2000$ iems.

I'm pretty gutted that my Explorer came with a scratch and a nick out of the wood on the back. I'll be getting in touch with Echobox to see if they can redo it.

On the bright side, the dark walnut matches my Ikea Karlby desk top quite well :)

Ouch!

Jun 29, 2017 at 10:45 AM Post #141 of 358
At least the scratch wouldn't be visible with the case on. I think without the case, the unit will get scratched up anyway, but should never have left the factory like that. Personally, the pops would bother me more, but you do want a brand new unit to look pristine.

Jun 29, 2017 at 11:47 AM Post #145 of 358
I just received mine 10 minutes ago (UK)
It came a day early, as DHL were estimating delivery "by the end of tomorrow" last night.
They updated that estimate this morning, then delivered a few minutes ago.

DSC_0043.JPG DSC_0044.JPG DSC_0045.JPG DSC_0046.JPG
DSC_0047.JPG
DSC_0048.JPG

lTmBQt6

J0wyHUd

5IKK8wh

800syCd

fQni0wp

QD6DI18

VERY early first impressions are that the package came securely packed, with a very high standard of packaging.
Feels quite a premium product to unbox.

Fit and finish of the dock and unit itself are excellent, and I'm VERY happy to say I'm delighted with the level of craftsmanship involved.
Unit is heavy, and again like the packaging, feels very premium (this isn't the first 'high end' portable audio equipment that I've handled, but it is the first I've owned).
The getting started guide seems well written, but I confess that I didn't really read it properly, just dived in.

I'm familiar with Android, so starting the Explorer up, and connecting it to my Wi-Fi was simple, and I'm now listening to Tidal via streaming ( I have no micro SD ATM) and everything seems to work well.

The Explorer is happily driving both my AH D-2000's and MDR 1A's without any difficulty whatsoever, and initial impressions are that sound is excellent (Tidal only so far).

And it's gorgeous in person! (if that matters to you, it certainly makes me feel good)

So far so good!

Jun 29, 2017 at 1:37 PM Post #149 of 358
Where is that post? The only one I saw was referring to the new one being darker than the first one...I may have missed it. ..
I'm sure you'll have to contact them privately. They absolutely should know what's going on by now. Maybe another case of not being able to get trustworthy info from their contractors.

Maybe related or maybe not, but at least one person got a wood finish different from what they ordered.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back