Echo Mia Midi or Audiophile?
Jan 14, 2004 at 9:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

CrawlingEye

100+ Head-Fier
Well, like some of you may have read in my other thread, I'm deciding between the Audiophile usb and Echo Mia Midi.

I'll be eventually using the 'card with an amp (uncertain of the amp at this moment, but as far as price-performance ratios go, the pimeta's looking nice), and wouldn't rule-out a good external DAC in the future.

For the time being though, I'll likely be using it analog, so I would need something with a decent output for headphones.
I'll be using the card also for recording, once I decide on mics and a mixer.

Also, do any of you prefer either of these over the other for any reason? Some basic opinions from owners of the two cards (or anyone who has used these for an extended period) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 14, 2004 at 9:32 PM Post #2 of 20
I have an Audiophile USB, and needless to say I am very impressed with it. However, the analogue outputs (RCA) have an "Output level" pot which does scare me a bit. They are however -very- clean, and pleasant sounding. The onboard headphone amplifier is mediocre. I would compare it to a c-moy. It's very lifeless sounding, but not terrible. The build quality is excellent, and I was quite suprised by the mass of the unit. The digital output, originally used with my MSB Link III DAC is flawless, and sounds great. I am not familiar with the Echo Mia MIDI, so perhaps another head-fi'er can help with that one!

Tre

Jan 15, 2004 at 12:43 AM Post #3 of 20
from the photos of this MIA there seems to be high quality oscillators in top right corner.. this card would be great for external DACs, otherwise AK4528 as usuall on such cards of this generation, don't know which opamps are used.. anyway, nice card definitely..

Jan 15, 2004 at 1:02 AM Post #4 of 20
Thanks. I'm still uncertain, but the comments about the Echo seem good. I have faith that either way I go, I'll be getting a good card, but it's just difficult to choose between two that are seemingly so close.

Any info on how headphones would sound plugged directly into the Echo Mia?

Jan 16, 2004 at 6:53 PM Post #6 of 20
I would get the AP USB because of it's flexibility. You can find a better power supply to it which could improve sound quality.

Jan 17, 2004 at 12:18 AM Post #7 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by lan
I would get the AP USB because of it's flexibility. You can find a better power supply to it which could improve sound quality.

Interesting. I was starting to think the Echo might be the way to go, but now you have me thinking. Do you have a url to places/people who will upgrade the power supply?
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 17, 2004 at 12:49 AM Post #8 of 20
Well there isn't a particular place/person to look for. Just find a better transformer that matches the output of 9VAC. The ones that are used for the ART DI/O are electrically compatible but the tips are of different sizes. You could splice yourself if you want.

Jan 17, 2004 at 10:40 AM Post #9 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by lan
Well there isn't a particular place/person to look for. Just find a better transformer that matches the output of 9VAC. The ones that are used for the ART DI/O are electrically compatible but the tips are of different sizes. You could splice yourself if you want.

Are there any places describing the mod?
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 17, 2004 at 5:25 PM Post #10 of 20
It's not really complicated. You just add on a tip which fits the AP USB. Just make sure you get the polarities right.

Jan 18, 2004 at 4:01 AM Post #11 of 20
hrmm... Maybe I will go with the audiophile. I wonder though, Glassman seems to think the Echo already has high-end components in it. The external soundcard would be cool, but I'm not so sure about how much room I have to really put it anywhere on my desk. Also, I'm not so sure of how well I'd be able to perform the mod on an adapter. I'm by no means very electronically in the sense of modifying things. The price of the audiophile seems to be around $200 while the Echo seems to be around $169, so that's another consideration.

Thanks all of the help so far. Any more comments would be appreciated, I still have a bit of deciding to do though...

Jan 18, 2004 at 4:10 AM Post #13 of 20
Certainly you could find a better PSU, but I think it wouldn't help much.

If the output needs to be 9VAC and the AC/DC converison happens in the AP USB enclosure, there would be little gain, especially because the filtering would take place inside the unit, which is where the majority of noise would be removed.

Not sure linear vs. switching though, as I doubt a straight AC-AC transformer would need to be of a switch type, though Icould wrong.

Anyway, that is my $.02, take it for what it is worth.

Jan 18, 2004 at 5:01 AM Post #14 of 20
I own the Echo card and its a great sounding card, although it lacks a headphone out jack...cd playback is superb, i'm hearing details that i never heard via my Audigy 2 card. I also tested out the spdif input from the breakout cable with my dat deck and installing the card was very straightforward.

The only hitch right now is figuring out exactly how i'm going to get my headphones rigged to the inputs...might need a dual 1/4">mini cable to use my altoids amp...time to start researching.

Jan 18, 2004 at 5:19 AM Post #15 of 20
Thanks Helloween for the comments on the Echo.
I have a question about the Mia Midi though. Does it in fact use 2 1/4" connectors for the output(s)?
I'd have imagined it would just use one and contain 2 outputs, I could be wrong though. A bit more info on this would be greatly appreciated.
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks JeffL for the technical comments on the AP usb and how much of a difference would be made by the psu upgrade.

Iron, I think that an amp is certainly being slated out for a future purchase. I like having time to decide things though. I'd really like to get one of the following: Corda HA-1 mk3, Headroom Little, Gilmore Lite (or maybe a used v2), or a Pimeta.

I kind of like the Little or HA-1 mk3, as both give crossfeed. I've heard Meier's crossfeed is more natural sounding than Headroom's, so I'm taking that into consideration.
smily_headphones1.gif

If the Echo truly lacks any usable output, in its current state, I'm sure I could buy either some ratshack adapters or a series of rat shack adapters that would work, at least until I could pickup an amp.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back