Echo Indigo
Mar 17, 2006 at 3:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Outono Noite

New Head-Fier
Hey all,

I was just curious what the major difference between the Echo Indigo io and Echo indigo DJ was. I have significant experience with the Mia and Layla, but when it comes to Laptop hardware, im in the dark.

I will be running a Larocco Audio PPA as my amp - so, for using this card as simply a DAC for my stereo and headphones, will the io or the DJ be best? Do I just connect the headphone out on the io/dj to the larocco and the larocco to my cans? Hows it work - im confused (or maybe just dumb).

Mar 17, 2006 at 3:56 AM Post #3 of 6
You want the DJ with its dedicated line out. I have the IO with a line in, which I like for transfering some cassette tapes I have to digital. I use the headphone jack sometimes as a pseudo line out to my amp. I just turn the volume way up on it and it seems fine to me.

Mar 17, 2006 at 4:05 AM Post #4 of 6
Awesome - so using the Line Out on the DJ will bypass the amp inside of it or will it interfere with the Larocco? Do you have any idea? Will there even be much of a difference if I buy this card? I mean, I assume there will be considering the converters inside the Echo are a hell of a lot better than the standard headphone out on my Powerbook.

Mar 17, 2006 at 1:59 PM Post #5 of 6
My understanding is that the line out of the DJ is unamped. The line out will not "interfere" with the Larocco. You simply plug your Larocco into the line out and your cans into the Larocco and enjoy. I use waveout with winamp that totally bypasses my laptop's Kmixer (pure digital to the dac in my echo). If you are like me you will notice tremendous improvement. I will be curious how much difference you'll notice between the headphone jack in the Echo and your Larocco plugged into the line out(the Echo's headphone jack is that good). I get minimal sound improvement with my Corda, which may be because I am using the headphone jack of my echo as the line out. I do use the Corda because of it's excellent crossfeed.

Here's the link to an excellent review of the IO at stereophile (the DJ will sound the same):

http://www.stereophile.com/computera...cho/index.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back