Echo Indigo vs. iPod
Jan 6, 2004 at 7:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

WindyCityCy

100+ Head-Fier
Anyone compared the sound of the Indigo and the iPod. I recently acquired the Indigo and the sound is quite good with both my DT880 and HD25. I could use the space on my laptop for work though so I'm pondering the iPod (kinda waiting to see what happens this week). If the iPod sound is as good as the Indigo then I could get along for awhile and be happy.

Jan 6, 2004 at 7:43 PM Post #3 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by sygyzy
What is the point of comparing a DAC and a portable mp3 player?

Did you read the post?

... and the Indigo is a soundcard, not a DAC, anymore than the iPod is a DAC (which of course they both have).

Jan 6, 2004 at 8:32 PM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by sygyzy
What is the point of comparing a DAC and a portable mp3 player?

its not any more ridiculous than Steve Jobs comparing iPod mini 4gb vs. Rio Chiba 256mb. lol... why not toss in a Sock to the comparison as well.

Jan 6, 2004 at 9:33 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by blessingx
Did you read the post?

... and the Indigo is a soundcard, not a DAC, anymore than the iPod is a DAC (which of course they both have).

My mistake Blessing. I called the Indigo the wrong term. OOPS.

Jan 6, 2004 at 11:51 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by austonia
its not any more ridiculous than Steve Jobs comparing iPod mini 4gb vs. Rio Chiba 256mb. lol... why not toss in a Sock to the comparison as well.

You seriously need to CHILL out homeboy. every post you made today has been some snide comment about the minis. Get over it, dont like, dont buy it, get on with life.

Jan 7, 2004 at 12:02 AM Post #7 of 12
Yep, I'm not even sure what the Jobs comment means in relationship to WindyCityCy inquiry, but anyway... anyone know an answer to this threads question?

[... and sygyzy, no biggie. I just thought the point of the comparision seemed obvious from the first post- free up hard disc space on a laptop by using an iPod as the source... if it sounded as good as the Indigo.]

Jan 7, 2004 at 1:00 AM Post #8 of 12
I'm not sure why your question is taking so much flak, it seemed a valid one to me.

Do you know anyone who had an ipod, or do you live near an apple store? Best way to judge whether it will make you happy is with your own two ears. As ipods are everywhere these days, it shouldn't be to hard to do some A/B testing.

To throw in my own 2 cents, the ipod sounds quite good for a portable device but I prefer the creative zen xtra in terms of pure audio quality. I think unless you are hyper critical of your music, you could offload all of those mp3s onto an ipod and be quite happy with it

Jan 7, 2004 at 2:40 AM Post #9 of 12
I have about 2200 songs on my laptop and even though I prefer listening to the CDs directly, my job takes me on the road quite often and the MP3s provide decent sound - at least through the Indigo.

Jan 7, 2004 at 7:48 AM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by austonia

Hmm... since the only other 4GB player on the market was announced... oh, today, it wasn't exactly a crazy comparison. If the Nitrus 4GB had been announced two weeks ago, I'm sure Jobs would have compared the iPod mini to that.

Jan 7, 2004 at 10:48 AM Post #11 of 12
wasn't the creative muvo2 4gb announced a while ago, he *could* have compared it to that.

but that wouldn't be good marketing.

Jan 8, 2004 at 7:46 AM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by Dweebgal
wasn't the creative muvo2 4gb announced a while ago, he *could* have compared it to that.

but that wouldn't be good marketing.

I think it would have been good marketing, considering the feature sets. Except for longer battery life, the iPod mini has a much better feature set.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back