Echo Indigo questions
Jan 7, 2006 at 7:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Medikit

100+ Head-Fier
I'm thinking about purchasing the Echo Indigo (Not sure which model yet) and I have a few questions.

First it seems like the Echo indigo works in combination with the laptop's sound, that is, it seems like unlike a computer where you have to plug everything into the new soundard and disable the old one, with the Echo indigo my laptop's sound will work fine whenever I have to use the microphone or the laptop's speakers.

Second the Indigo seems really easy to break. How flimsy does the card appear to be and how much does it get in the way during travel? Do you have a special carrying case for it when you don't need to use it?

Jan 7, 2006 at 7:26 PM Post #2 of 10
Your laptop speakers won't work when Echo Indigo is plugged in, and selected as the sound playback device. You can go into the control panel and select onboard sound as your playback device to change that. Otherwise, you'll have to plug headphones or speakers into the Indigo. Your built-in microphone should work normally with the Indigo or Indigo DJ models. With the Indigo IO, if Indigo is selected as recording device, then you'd have to plug a mic into that. You can change this setting in the control panel to use onboard mic while the card is plugged in. But for both recording and playback, the Indigo will not work simultaneously with onboard sound - it's either one or the other at any given time.

No, it is not easy to break. I subjected mine to no special treatment, and never had a problem. During travel, I just unplugged it in and slipped into a velcro pocket in my laptop carrying case. I've also crammed it into my carry-on luggage, and it didn't have a problem. I would occassionally wrap it in some plastic or bubble wrap for travel, but usually I wouldn't do that either. I don't see breakage as a likely issue.

Jan 7, 2006 at 11:06 PM Post #3 of 10
"First it seems like the Echo indigo works in combination with the laptop's sound, that is, it seems like unlike a computer where you have to plug everything into the new soundard and disable the old one, with the Echo indigo my laptop's sound will work fine whenever I have to use the microphone or the laptop's speakers."

No, The only indigo outputs are those of itself (imagine how would you carry the analog signal back to the laptop?).

Yes, you can use as many external soundcards as you are able to plug in at the same time, but you will be able to play only one device (including laptop's internal). You have to select the current output in windows control panels. Mileage under musician software may wary.

IO has input/amped output, DJ amped/unamped outputs and nameless two amped outputs I believe.

Jan 8, 2006 at 4:30 AM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Medikit
Second the Indigo seems really easy to break. How flimsy does the card appear to be and how much does it get in the way during travel? Do you have a special carrying case for it when you don't need to use it?

Its quite solid. Looks flimsy but once its in its in the only way you'd really damage it would probably entail damage to your laptop in the first place.

Travelling, I actually dont take it out, if I have my laptop in its padded sleeve. If the laptop isn't in the a padded sleeve then I just put the IO in plastic (to cover the contacts) and put that in a side pocket of whatever bag I'm using.

If you wanted to be paraoid I suppose you could got to a camera shop and buy one of those generic padded cases for digital cameras (the smallest size) and put the IO in that.

But I dont think its necessary. As I said, if you're doing something that you think wil damage the IO, then you'd probably be endagering your lapop first - and presumably you're not going to do that.

Jan 8, 2006 at 4:48 AM Post #5 of 10
I did manage to break mine as I mistreated it in a way that was too much for the indigo to bear, but I was so impressed by the card that I just bought another as a replacement. Very good card, great performance and sound. Kicks ass and much better than any lappy onboard sound, powerful too. I run both my IEM's and my Senn HD-580's on it with no trouble.

Jan 8, 2006 at 5:40 AM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by smeggy
I did manage to break mine as I mistreated it in a way that was too much for the indigo to bear, but I was so impressed by the card that I just bought another as a replacement. Very good card, great performance and sound. Kicks ass and much better than any lappy onboard sound, powerful too. I run both my IEM's and my Senn HD-580's on it with no trouble.

How did you break yours?

Also thankyou to everyone contributing I'm pretty sure that I will be picking this up after my e4p arrives on Tuesday.

Edit: Oh yeah, some more questions:

How much battery life does this thing suck? Like how long would you say you could go before adding it and then afterward. How long can you go when you are listening with the screen turned off compared to when you're using your laptop and listening to music?

Jan 8, 2006 at 5:57 AM Post #7 of 10
My previous laptop was older and had no inbuilt WiFi so I had to use a PCcard to do it, also I wanted to use my Indigo at the same time and the two PCcard slots were stacked with the Indigo on top. Something had to give as the cards were not really meant to share space, The Indigo lasted a year like this being pulled in and out before succuming to the stress of being jammed in at an angle against the WiFi card. I managed to permanently distort the casing enough to short out the card.
rolleyes.gif

Current Indigo is doing sterling service as I type this on the couch with my Ety's and some B-52's action
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 8, 2006 at 6:28 AM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by smeggy
My previous laptop was older and had no inbuilt WiFi so I had to use a PCcard to do it, also I wanted to use my Indigo at the same time and the two PCcard slots were stacked with the Indigo on top. Something had to give as the cards were not really meant to share space, The Indigo lasted a year like this being pulled in and out before succuming to the stress of being jammed in at an angle against the WiFi card. I managed to permanently distort the casing enough to short out the card.
rolleyes.gif

Current Indigo is doing sterling service as I type this on the couch with my Ety's and some B-52's action
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks Smeggy.
I'm not sure when I'll have a crowding problem but I'm sure there will be plenty of nifty things for my laptop in two years
frown.gif

Jan 8, 2006 at 7:32 AM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Medikit
How much battery life does this thing suck? Like how long would you say you could go before adding it and then afterward. How long can you go when you are listening with the screen turned off compared to when you're using your laptop and listening to music?

Can't say, because going by the heat produced, I just never used it when my laptop was running on batteries. It seems to use a lot of power. I found typing on the laptop keyboard inconvenient, because my wrist would rest on the hotspot created by the card. Fortunately, I spend 99% of my time with the laptop plugged in, and typing on a proper USB ergonomic keyboard.

The heat issue is the only complaint I had about it. Otherwise, it's all-around excellent.

Jan 8, 2006 at 7:39 AM Post #10 of 10
It does produce a lot of heat but it's only a problem if the PCcard slots are badly placed on your laptop, mine are well out of the way. As to power drain, not too bad considering the heat. I haven't done any measurements but I have regularly sat here for over an hour playing music on batteries. My batt's run out in about 1 &1/2 hours anyway so it's not bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back