echo indigo necessary?
Feb 7, 2004 at 8:51 AM Post #17 of 27
I received the indigo today, but it is going back for a couple of reasons. First, the sound isn't much improved from the output of my laptop. In fact, the only difference I can discern is that the Echo has a slightly stronger bass but definitely not $100 worth. Second, the balance is noticeably shifted to the right. This isn't something I can live with.

Argh, and I was hoping for sonic paradise. I guess the native sound quality from my T40 thinkpad is better than that of most laptops. The search continues...

Feb 7, 2004 at 4:18 PM Post #18 of 27
What about the M-audio products?

Feb 12, 2004 at 5:14 AM Post #19 of 27
taug -

I'm borrowing some HD600's right now from an aquaintance, and decided to audition them on my Indigo I/O.

To be honest, I bought the Indigo for it's recording features. There are other outboard systems that would do well, but I liked the fact that the Indigo could double as a decent headphone amp while I'm away from home.

So here I am right now - going back and forth from my I/O to the Creek OBH-21 that my friend sent with the HD600's. To be honest, I am having a very difficult time telling the difference between them. At full volume, I think that it's uncomfortable to listen to, but maybe people like to listen a lot louder than me.

The Creek can definately go louder (hmmm - it's taking the maxed output of the Indigo and amping it...), and it does sound slightly different, but not in a positive or negative way for me - it's just colored a little more. I'm not sure I like that, since the Senns are already coloring things.

So as far as your question - yes, I think the Indigo I/O (and I assume the standard Indigo) can drive the HD600's enough to make my wife in the basement ask why I'm playing the headphones so loud

And to be fair, I'm also doing a side-by-side with my Sony MDR-7506's. The Senns are a more comfortable listening experience. Everything I've been able to pick out with the 600's, I've been able to hear with the 7506's. In fact, the Sony's even found some details that I had trouble with on the 600's (including when hooked up to the Creek). But the Senns have a more open (makes since now that I think about it) stage, and are very pleasurable.

That said, I'm sticking with my Sony's - the Senns wouldn't work while I'm laying vocals and acoustic guitar. Plus, I really like the pin-point accuracy of the 7506's - it gives me confidence about what I'm hearing. Oh, yeah - they're about $250 less.

This ended up being a comparison, but in my opinion, the Indigo has no trouble pushing the HD600's.

Apr 6, 2004 at 7:58 PM Post #20 of 27
I have received my ECHO INDIGO in my Toshiba Laptop.

The installation is a breeze and it sounds fantastic (camparing to the Laptop sound) very low noise.

I am using ORG Vobbis files with Senn PX100.

The downsize is that it sticks out the laptop preventing me from transporting installed.

Apr 6, 2004 at 10:38 PM Post #21 of 27
I use the Indigo previously with an IBM600x and recently with a Dell 5150, in both cases I found that it offers much sonic improvement over the on-board sound output. I also have listened with various headphones, ranging from the Sony7506, Senn600, to SR-60 and PX-200. In each case the card performs extremely well.

When I am on business trips it is convenient to have it with a PX-200 or 7506. It is on my laptop all the time.

I think it was one of the most satisfying purchase I have made in audio equipment.

Happy listening,
W

Apr 6, 2004 at 10:41 PM Post #22 of 27
Quote:

Originally posted by DEMIW

The downsize is that it sticks out the laptop preventing me from transporting installed.

Yes, it is a bit inconvenient that way, although the blue LED on it is cool.

Cheers,
W

Apr 7, 2004 at 12:29 AM Post #23 of 27
Quote:

Originally posted by ghesekki
I received the indigo today, but it is going back for a couple of reasons .... Second, the balance is noticeably shifted to the right. This isn't something I can live with.

Eh? Sounds like either an incorrect setting in the Windows mixer or a defective card. This is certainly not a valid reason to ditch the card, IMHO, esp. since the card works for everyone else in that respect.

Were you able to compare the Indigo to better sources than your T40 before you returned it? I think I'm keeping these IBM laptops in mind!

Apr 7, 2004 at 12:57 AM Post #24 of 27
Whoa, this thread is back from the dead!

I wasn't too impressed by the card. To me, it offered very minimal sound improvement over my laptop's sound.

I also tried the transit, and that was better, but at the time, I had the HD590s. The transit was itself a bit bright, and the combination was a bit painful for long listening sessions. Good sound though!

After auditioning lots of systems, from several usb soundcards to a reputable sony dvd player with a marantz to my current njb3, I'm pretty impressed with my laptop's sound just the way it is.

Whoduhthunkit?

Apr 7, 2004 at 8:51 AM Post #25 of 27
Quote:

Originally posted by ghesekki
Whoa, this thread is back from the dead!

I wasn't too impressed by the card. To me, it offered very minimal sound improvement over my laptop's sound.

I also tried the transit, and that was better, but at the time, I had the HD590s. The transit was itself a bit bright, and the combination was a bit painful for long listening sessions. Good sound though!

After auditioning lots of systems, from several usb soundcards to a reputable sony dvd player with a marantz to my current njb3, I'm pretty impressed with my laptop's sound just the way it is.

Whoduhthunkit?

my ehco indigo is a great improvement over both the sound of my dad's IBM T40 and my Fujitsu P5000. everything feels so much tighter, and there is absolutely no noise even with the volume all the way up. the smooth wheel controlling the volume helps a lot too. i love this thing. i have Sony V6s.

Apr 12, 2004 at 4:48 PM Post #26 of 27
While we are at it
can some one clarify whether the Echo Indigo I/O indeed has a Line out which is a pure line out.
I know it has 2 1/8" output sockets
One is mentioned as a headphone out the other one is called a line out.
I wnat to know if the signal on the Line OUt is unamped because that is what i am looking for as i would like to put in the Echo Indigo in the Card bus slot.
once the echo does the A/D conversion i can then amp with my external amp.
this is of course whil ei am on the move with my laptop.

cheers
Kunwar

Apr 12, 2004 at 11:02 PM Post #27 of 27
Quote:

Originally posted by kunwar
While we are at it
can some one clarify whether the Echo Indigo I/O indeed has a Line out which is a pure line out.
I know it has 2 1/8" output sockets
One is mentioned as a headphone out the other one is called a line out.
I wnat to know if the signal on the Line OUt is unamped because that is what i am looking for as i would like to put in the Echo Indigo in the Card bus slot.
once the echo does the A/D conversion i can then amp with my external amp.
this is of course whil ei am on the move with my laptop.

cheers
Kunwar

Both outputs are headphone-out controlled by the volume control... No lineout...
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back