Echo Indigo IO
Jun 17, 2005 at 7:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

SiGNAL748

New Head-Fier
I just bought a laptop, and unfortunately it has AC97 embedded audio. I'm looking for something that will drive my headphones a bit better than that. And so came the idea of the Echo Indigo.

My first question is; Is there a difference between the Regular Indigo (discontinued) and the Indigo IO? If so, what are the differences? And do the differences make one better than the other?

How well do you think this will drive a pair of HD280's? Better than my onboard audio? Noiticeable difference?

Does this card have any general problems? conflicts with any software?

Are there any better alternative solutions for around the same price?

Jun 17, 2005 at 7:25 AM Post #3 of 16
Thanks, but that is far too bulky. I'd like to retain the portability of my laptop. So PCMCIA solutions are ideal. The Indigo can't be the only PCMCIA sound card out there?

Jun 17, 2005 at 7:43 AM Post #4 of 16
There is the new EMU, but it's far more expensive than an Indigo. are you really planning on using the input feature? Because if you aren't, the DJ or normal Indigo would be a better option.

edit: in response to the OP's original question. The output sections are the same, but basic indigo has 2 heaphone outs. IO hase head-out and line-in. DJ has head-out and line-out.

Jun 17, 2005 at 7:45 AM Post #5 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by ucbEE
There is the new EMU, but it's far more expensive than an Indigo. are you really planning on using the input feature? Because if you aren't, the DJ or normal Indigo would be a better option.

Not only that but it also has a bulky breakout box.

Jun 17, 2005 at 7:48 AM Post #6 of 16
Breakout box is optional. There is a headphone amp built into the cardbus unit. But good point, since the breakout box contains all of the other features of the card.

Jun 17, 2005 at 7:49 AM Post #7 of 16
Ok, i had try both the new creative 2 zs notebook and the echo indigo io and the echo indigo is the best, clean sound, excellent to drive both my e4c and grado sr225. Echo io have one input for recording and one output.

Jun 17, 2005 at 7:51 AM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by ucbEE
Breakout box is optional. There is a headphone amp built into the cardbus unit. But good point, since the breakout box contains all of the other features of the card.

I didn't know that. But it would be kind of stupid to buy the 1616m and just kind of toss the breakout box aside.

Jun 17, 2005 at 12:03 PM Post #9 of 16
I've the base version, it's an excellent product.
It provides an excellent sound, well detailed with crispy highs, especially if used with an amp.

Jun 17, 2005 at 5:52 PM Post #10 of 16
Thanks Guys.

I will using the card purely for output. No input will be necessary at all. So it seems as if the Original Indigo (Non-IO) and the Indigo DJ are the better choices for me?

Jun 17, 2005 at 6:13 PM Post #11 of 16
Yeah, the Indigos would make sense for you. I've heard good things about the M-Audio Transit USB ($70) and I own the Turtle Beach Audio Advantage ($30), but neither of them do much amping. If you're not planning to use an amp with this setup the Indigo would be best because it supposedly amps reasonably well.

Jun 17, 2005 at 6:18 PM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by SiGNAL748
Thanks Guys.

I will using the card purely for output. No input will be necessary at all. So it seems as if the Original Indigo (Non-IO) and the Indigo DJ are the better choices for me?

Go for the Indigo DJ. You never know when you're going to want a line-out for, say, a headphone amp.
biggrin.gif
If you ever need two headphone-outs, you can just get a little splitter.

Jun 17, 2005 at 7:09 PM Post #13 of 16
"I cannot properly drive even my MX500"

Strange, it drives those just fine with my Indigo. It drives even the er-4s really well.

I do get some dynamic compression on the HD600 but only at pretty loud levels.

The MX500 has a volume control integrated into the cord. I am just guessing here but you might have turned that down.

Cheers

Thomas

Users who are viewing this thread

Back