Echo Indigo DJ and system volume level?
Jul 3, 2006 at 6:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

creyc

500+ Head-Fier
I'm using one of these cards in my system and I really love the synergy it has with my UM2s.

I'm using a PowerBook and I always just turn the system volume up all the way as well as iTunes application volume. Then i do the adjusting with the hardware knob on the Indigo DJ. Is this the right way to do it for optimal sound?

Jul 3, 2006 at 1:42 PM Post #3 of 6
It is but try something that might blow you away.

Plug your headphone in the line-out of the DJ, not the headphone out. Then control the volume with the Indigo software provided with the card. To my ears it is a strong improvement and it does make sense since the volume pot on the card is bypassed and I'm sure this volume pot is not of good quality.

Try it out, you might have a big smile on your face!

Jul 3, 2006 at 4:40 PM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Loftprojection
It is but try something that might blow you away.

Plug your headphone in the line-out of the DJ, not the headphone out. Then control the volume with the Indigo software provided with the card. To my ears it is a strong improvement and it does make sense since the volume pot on the card is bypassed and I'm sure this volume pot is not of good quality.

Try it out, you might have a big smile on your face!

This is what I have seen here on the forums as well, and what I do. As loftprojection says, it makes sense that the software controller would be of higher quality than the hardware dial.

Jul 7, 2006 at 3:15 AM Post #5 of 6
Hmm, now where did that app go to...

thanks for the tip. I'll re-download the software and try again.

Jul 7, 2006 at 3:36 AM Post #6 of 6
Okay I've got it through the line-out now, yes its VERY different. I don't know that it's "better" though. It seems anemic. Great detail and clarity though. Hmm, now I'm getting confused.
redface.gif

I don't know which sound I like. On one hand I like the improved highs and mids, these things sound amazing now! But they also sound rather pathetic down low...or perhaps just "accurate" and I'm accustomed to overly emphasized amounts of it. I'm playing a few bass tracks, and it's definitely there, not like there's a power problem with the card. I could get used to it this way..but it sounds "louder" and I end up turning it down, which means even shallower bass. Tempts me to grab for those EQ knobs.
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back