Echo Audiofire2: who used/heard?
Jul 2, 2008 at 8:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

MaloS

Headphoneus Supremus
And has some thoughts?

This is listed to have fully balanced operation, with 24/96 DA conversion, 114 db dynamic range and noise floor. Can be used with external PSU or using 6-pin firewire connector to be powered. Has coax inputs/outputs also. Headphone amp built-in, but has analog outputs on the back.

Costs $189...

I am mostly worried: is it a fine DAC, or is its performance going to be measley like Echo Indigo (which is nice, liquid, but not the most stellar).

Jul 2, 2008 at 9:01 PM Post #2 of 4
While I have not heard the Audiofire2, I own the Echo Mia soundcard (not Mia Midi), and I have been very happy with it. It has worked flawlessly on both XP and Vista all the time I have had it which is a big plus, as I know some of the pro audio cards can be flimsy. Very nice both for recording, and the sound quality is good, although I only use the S/PDIF out to my DAC and the inputs for recording.

Jul 2, 2008 at 9:34 PM Post #3 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by nor_spoon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
While I have not heard the Audiofire2, I own the Echo Mia soundcard (not Mia Midi), and I have been very happy with it. It has worked flawlessly on both XP and Vista all the time I have had it which is a big plus, as I know some of the pro audio cards can be flimsy. Very nice both for recording, and the sound quality is good, although I only use the S/PDIF out to my DAC and the inputs for recording.

Can you compare its analog outputs to your external DAC just out of curiosity? (From what I see, it is a very serious unit that is clearly waiting for the Zana Deux to come into play).

Jul 2, 2008 at 10:22 PM Post #4 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaloS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can you compare its analog outputs to your external DAC just out of curiosity? (From what I see, it is a very serious unit that is clearly waiting for the Zana Deux to come into play).

Just did, running straight out from the sound card to the amp listening to Norah Jones "Come Away With Me" with the HD650's.
When switched to sound card, the sound image was a bit more "loose" meaning things smeared a bit more together. Her voice seemed to be a little thinner, and I noticed the sharp ssssh sounds more. She was a little more in the background sounding a bit "smaller", and the bass surrounded her more coming more forward cause of it being looser and undefined. Switching back to the other DAC, she is more in the foreground, sounding more natural with more "meat", instruments and the sound image fall more into place with more relaxed feeling. The bass is tighter, deeper and more defined.

Anyway, take what I write with a grain of salt. It is getting late and my ears have been listening for a while. Anyway, the Mia does a really impressive job to my ears, I would not say there are night and day differences, more like many small subtle differences, but these are also two very different units. Hope it helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back