eBay - You Just Gotta Love It
Mar 20, 2004 at 10:20 PM Post #46 of 79
Hi. Sean. There is trade off between good-sound and design. Reason for this design is to shorten the physical connection from the attenuator to the input jacks. My focus was on the good-sound. Woo

Mar 21, 2004 at 5:39 AM Post #47 of 79
Hi Sean- Guesss you'll have to go to longer ICs to give it a try. My new Bez 2A3 amp from China also has RCA on side, near front and in line w/attenuator and on/off switch. 0.5m ics do not work. 1.0s are little too long, if your amp and source are stacked, but would be just about right on a rack. BTW, although unknown brand the Bez is VERY nice sounding. Makes me want to hear Kentamcolins Moth, which is likely to be a much more refined product (and WAY cooler looking!!!).

Mar 21, 2004 at 4:11 PM Post #48 of 79
I haven't been very active in the forums lately but this thread caught my attention.........

Welcome to the forum Mr.Woo and best of luck to you. We need more sincere people like yourself,and I hope there are many more to follow.

Here's hoping you are the Real McCoy
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 21, 2004 at 4:36 PM Post #49 of 79
"to shorten the physical connection from the attenuator to the input jacks."

So you'll need another 1/2 meter of Interconnect to save 6 inches if internal wiring??

“Frequency response: 8 Hz - 100 KHz +/-3dB”

A more meaningful measurement would be the usable frequency range of 20-20K. And +/- 3db? What would be the point of matching your headphone drivers to .1db if the variation in the amp is +/- 3db?

Why isn’t the signal to noise ratio listed? That’s a very important measurement for tube gear.

Mitch

Mar 21, 2004 at 5:40 PM Post #50 of 79
I don't know much about electronics, but I will try to give my guess here.

Quote:

Originally posted by braillediver
"to shorten the physical connection from the attenuator to the input jacks."

So you'll need another 1/2 meter of Interconnect to save 6 inches if internal wiring??

My guess: the signal between the attenuator and the input jacks is different from the signal in the interconnects (and/or the wire being different) => it is more important to have short paths from the attenuator to the input jacks and lenghten a bit the interconnects.

Quote:

“Frequency response: 8 Hz - 100 KHz +/-3dB”

A more meaningful measurement would be the usable frequency range of 20-20K. And +/- 3db? What would be the point of matching your headphone drivers to .1db if the variation in the amp is +/- 3db?
[/B]

AFAIK, most electronic devices use +/- 3dB as upper/lower limit for determining the frequency scale. I guess that, if Mr Woo's amp has +/- 3 dB from 8 Hz to 100 kHz, it has +/- 0 dB from 20 Hz to 20 kHz.

Anyway, nothing to do with matching drivers; that is for not hearing one channel louder than the other one.

Just an opinion from a non electronics connaisseur
biggrin.gif

Mar 21, 2004 at 6:00 PM Post #51 of 79
Throughout this thread, I've felt that those accusations of this guy copying a DIY design are like accusations of one car company copying another. "Look, they both have engines in the front, rear wheel drive, seating for two, and have 0-60 times in the 4 second range. That one must be a copy." C'mon guys! This kind of accusation is completely unfounded.

greenhorn's right about the FR specs too. Lots of tube amps have +/-3db specs, especially in the bass region. Seeing wide +/-3db FR specs is quite common.

Mar 21, 2004 at 8:59 PM Post #52 of 79
Let me give you an analogy. You are seeing your doctor for a shot. There is a small amount of liquid comes from the needle into your body, and it can be easily disturbed by many factors. Once the liquid goes into your body, the liquid spreads quickly through blood.

Your sound source is the needle. The phone jack output is the blood running in you body. And the attenuator is the needle bar that your doctor pushing down. Imagine that the doctor uses a 1 meter long needle for your shot. (what if somebody trip over, what if....)

Since the weaker signal can be easily disturbed , reserving a short physical connection between the sound source and the attenuator is essential.

Of course, you can use a longer wire for the connection. But the input signal maybe take a hit such as from static noice.

Woo

Mar 21, 2004 at 9:22 PM Post #53 of 79
Quote:

Originally posted by whatIsInside
Let me give you an analogy. You are seeing your doctor for a shot. There is a small amount of liquid comes from the needle into your body, and it can be easily disturbed by many factors. Once the liquid goes into your body, the liquid spreads quickly through blood.

Your sound source is the needle. The phone jack output is the blood running in you body. And the attenuator is the needle bar that your doctor pushing down. Imagine that the doctor uses a 1 meter long needle for your shot. (what if somebody trip over, what if....)

Since the weaker signal can be easily disturbed , reserving a short physical connection between the sound source and the attenuator is essential.

Of course, you can use a longer wire for the connection. But the input signal maybe take a hit such as from static noice.

Woo

Deep Deep!

Mar 21, 2004 at 10:28 PM Post #54 of 79
Hi Mr. Woo,
I emailed you a day or two back through ebay re: your headphone amp, I'm yet to hear from you!
frown.gif

Mar 21, 2004 at 10:36 PM Post #55 of 79
...So, who's gonna get one and tell the the world?

Me.

Mar 21, 2004 at 11:14 PM Post #57 of 79
Quote:

Originally posted by CWCalk

Me.

I volunteer....you to take up the torch and buy one. We will all anxiously await your thoughts on the amp once you get it and listen to it for a while.
tongue.gif

Mar 22, 2004 at 12:34 AM Post #58 of 79
CWCalk: Congrats on getting this amp. I have a sneaky suspicion that it will be a great one.

I must say, that as the originator of this thread, I had no idea of the "legs" it would have, and all the hot buttons it seems to have pressed in people. I just reread my original post, and see how what I was intending to say could easily be misconstrued.

My points were that:

-eBay is an amazing place where all sorts of things pop up, some good, some not

- Mr Woo's amp could really be a great one, or it could be a piece of crap. I was not implying it was either, but I was hoping it was good.

By my quoting from the listing, I can see how one could think I was belittling or poking fun at the lister's words or language skills - I was not. I was highlighting passages that made the listing stand out to me. I applaud enthusiastic use of the English language by non native English speakers, and commend them for their wanting to communicate passionately. I can only imagine how pathetic I would seem (and have seemed) if I tried to communicate in anything other than my native tongue (English).

I congratulate Mr Woo on what appears to be a well crafted amplifier, and look forward to CWCalk's impressions of it.

Mar 22, 2004 at 3:07 AM Post #60 of 79
Quote:

Hey CWCalk,

Should be an interesting comparison with your other gear.

Kartik

Users who are viewing this thread

Back