Ebay v. Amazon: Problems While Buying Used CD's
Jun 3, 2009 at 5:23 AM Post #16 of 27
What the hell are you people talking about? I've ordered a ton of CDs on Amazon Marketplace, and almost all were in great shape and arrived in less than a week.

Few tips:

1. Don't buy from someone with like a billion feedback but only a 95% rating. That basically means you're never gonna be able to deal with a real person, their shipping times are long, and condition is not guaranteed at all. You're a damn fool if you do. There are some big sellers who are good, though, notably ZoverstocksUSA, a UK seller. I've bought 5 CDs from them over the last month and they always respond to questions, ship fast for an overseas seller, and the CDs are always in great condition.

2. If the seller hasn't filled out a specific description for the item instead of the "Very good" or whatever, don't buy. Send them a message and ask about the CD and liner notes.

3. Don't pay for expedited shipping. It's a complete croc. 99% of the CDs I've bought were shipped 1st class, which takes 4 or 5 days.

4. If you're looking for a specific pressing, like a remaster or original, ask. Always, always ask. And be as specific as possible.

Jun 3, 2009 at 6:06 AM Post #17 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by evanft /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What the hell are you people talking about?

Let me add that I am bottom fishing on Amazon, at the top of the list where the cheaper prices are. I have no doubt if I scroll down where the close to retail prices are that I am in a better neighborhood. But I'm ghetto and trying to come in under 5 bucks a cd with shipping....I needs my money fo da MD 20/20.

I use Ebay mainly for stuff that's too pricey on Amazon. I hit auctions with little or no interest that won't get driven up to retail like so often happens. Pretty much, unless you're the seller, auctions suck.

Out of the last batch of cd's I've gotten tremendous deals on brand new cd's, paid .01 for a bunch of them and less than 3 bucks a piece for the rest. All but the ones I outlined above were in "like new" shape. All of the problem sellers were commercial ops with good feedback. I am unconvinced the rating system is any kind of magic bullet.

Still, a 20% failure rate seems high even for bottom fishing.

Jun 3, 2009 at 6:11 AM Post #18 of 27
BTW I agree with all the comments on shipping. Expedited is unnecessary as first class is almost as fast as priority. Media mail sucks any way you look at it and is a major obstacle in my decision process.

Jun 3, 2009 at 2:31 PM Post #19 of 27
I have used amazon extensively without any problems. I usually select the like new condition option. I have had any problems yet all the discs work fine with no scratches. But then again the bands i listen to are so small they don't move cds in high volume and that may have something to do with it

Jun 3, 2009 at 3:15 PM Post #20 of 27
I use Amazon all the time, not any real issues.

Jun 3, 2009 at 3:29 PM Post #21 of 27
I also try to avoid 'power sellers' since they don't really state *specific* disc condition and tend to not really care as much about being accurate.

all I care about, really, is that I can grab all the bits and safely save to hard drive. then, I actually remove the jewel case, give it away or throw it away (I just don't care about them) and I'll save the paper bits (covers and inserts) and then put the cd into a sleeve/binder. it never sees the light of day after that unless I need to re-rip for some strange reason.

paper condition, jewel condition, even minor scratches are not a big issue as long as extraction can be done with no errors.

so far, I have not gotton a disc that was hard to read. if it could not be read with EAC or equiv, I'd ask the seller to exchange it for one that can.

Jun 3, 2009 at 6:04 PM Post #22 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by linuxworks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
all I care about, really, is that I can grab all the bits and safely save to hard drive. then, I actually remove the jewel case, give it away or throw it away (I just don't care about them) and I'll save the paper bits (covers and inserts) and then put the cd into a sleeve/binder. it never sees the light of day after that unless I need to re-rip for some strange reason.

paper condition, jewel condition, even minor scratches are not a big issue as long as extraction can be done with no errors.

You describe my situation exactly. A friendly word about sleeves...in time they will stick to/leave marks on your cd's. These are the best solution I've seen:

DVD & CD Storage and Organization. Find the right disc, right now

Jun 6, 2009 at 8:11 AM Post #23 of 27
In the rare event I buy a cd online, I've been using amazon. There are some great deals out there, last time I bought a stack of 10 cds for 98 cents each and 4$ shipping, all still in the wrap. Just click around and you can find some great stuff, albeit sometimes obscure.

Jun 6, 2009 at 5:20 PM Post #24 of 27
I'm an Ebay CD hunter too...out of possibly 150 - 200 purchases only had two that were poor condition-wise. Musically -that's another story!

But x2 on Uncle Erik's stock thing: don't have it ? don't sell it.

Jun 7, 2009 at 2:53 AM Post #25 of 27
I bought plenty CDs from both ebay and Amazon.
I rarely have problems..
The only occasion I have issue is that I gamble with former library items.
Now I know what that means, I just avoid those items and keep shopping.

Jun 7, 2009 at 3:22 PM Post #26 of 27
On Amazon, if I have several options I always read a good load of the reviews. Even for the higher percentage ratings, some of the bad reviews show when things do go wrong the seller has little regard for the customer, not replying etc.

Jun 7, 2009 at 3:29 PM Post #27 of 27
Never had a problem with Amazon and i have purchased hundreds of cds in yhe last 3 years.I tend to buy from u.s.sellers as the ones in the u.k.tend to lie alot when describing conditions,plus the ones ordered from u.s.arrive quicker.

BRYSTON BCD1
LEHMANN BC
GS1000

Users who are viewing this thread

Back